Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going out and about the Maser website today and stumble upon this webpage of Pre-Paid Maintenance. I havent seen this before, so I thought of posting it here.

If anyone like me had not purchased pre-paid Maintenance at the time of Buying, can still do so before the first service is due for 1625$ for 48 months of maintenance plan.

check out this link.

Pre-Paid Maintenance

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would definitely check with your dealer. I'm guessing the spark plug replacement will be quite an expense by itself. Therefore I decided not to gamble. For $1,625, I will have very little out of pocket for the 4 years I plan on keeping the car.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Yup this should be well known at this point - earlier on dealers were trying to mark this up too

DD

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I believed I'd keep for four years I'd get service plan, not just plugs but a belt change. I can only imagine what they feel they can charge for that. We had service plan on last couple of Audi's as part of deal,$695, and it was nice as 25,000 mi. is their expensive charge. With Maser 1st service is expensive, maybe $450! On my Merc first was $250 but $199 on special. First service, 5000mi, on Audi was free. Somehow service in Las Vegas is more than LA, less competition I suppose.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had multiple different dealers say they would throw this in to get the deal done. If you haven't taken delivery of your car yet, you should be able to get it thrown in.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
I know there are a few threads on the prepaid maintenance plans. Seemed to be a little polarizing on the value for what service they do in first few years.

When I did my 700 mile review (2014 Maserati Ghibli Forum - View Single Post - New Maserati Ghilbi Owner - I'm sold!) I made mention that I overpaid $1995 for the plan which only costs $1625. I made the assessment that since I bought the car (versus leased) I wanted to hedge my next 4 years of expenses while car was under warranty. Ironically $1995 was pitched as a bargain and I wanted to "lock-in" the price before it went up.:(

I think I was an early 11% off MSRP sale so the dealer needed to make back funds on the back-end.

I'm still waiting to hear about the Maserati extended warranty (6 years and 100K miles) which is supposed to be $2400 (more of a Maserati certification than extended warranty option). I was told in March it would be 3-6 months before they would offer to existing owners of new cars.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So now my question is, is it a good to buy in this plan or just take the car out to the dealer for maintenance. The problem is the manual says oil change in 2 years or so... but inside the car the maintenance meter shows only 365 days and counting less..

I am very confused about this Ghibli maintenance when should it be done and how much will it cost??

The Ghibli owner's manual (pages 239 and 240) calls out the following service:

Year 1: Engine oil and filter
Year 2: Engine oil and filter, pollen filter
Year 3: Engine oil and filter, spark plugs
Year 4: Engine oil and filter, air filter, brake fluid level, pollen filter

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Should I shouldn't I ?

I am now pondering that also. :nerd: The Ghibli $ 1,625 plan includes:

Engine Oil and Filter Change 4 Replacements
Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid Level 2 Checks
Brake Fluid Level 1 Replacement
Engine Coolant Level 2 Checks
models. The plan is not eligible for Maserati vehicles that
have 12,500 or more miles (20,000km in Canada) on its
odometer or its original new vehicle limited warranty
commenced more than 12 months prior to the proposed
plan purchase date.
Spark Plugs 1 Replacement
Air Filter 1 Replacement
Pollen Filter 2 Replacements
Cooling System 1Check
Alternator Belt 1 Check & 1 Replacement
Hinges, Doors, Front & Rear Lids 1 Check
Interior Leather 1 Check
Brake System Lines 2 Checks
Diagnostic Tester 4 Checks Coverage Area
Brake Discs 2 Checks
Brake Pads 2 Checks
Headlights & Lighting System 4 Checks
Road Test 2 Checks

I am not sure of the hourly rates for a Maserati mechanic but don't think it would take long to 'absorb' the funds, even over three years. :|

I decided to lease my 2015 for 36 months and not purchase the car - I hope to love the car and end up buying a 2018 with the bigger engine.>:D

DD

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
The oil change is every 12 months or 12,500 miles. You would not want to run old oil that long considering all the RPM's you hear about on the forum.>:D

The big money is in year 3 and 4 of the service plan. If you leased and didn't feel you needed the plugs (based on your mileage) and cabin filters you would save by being selective on service.

The wild card is what will your dealer charge for these services at the time of service. I saw a WIDE range of quotes from different dealers and several offered 20% off the list price.

In short even at the inflated price of $1995 I felt it was more a hedged cost control for 4 years of maintenance within the warranty period. At $1625, it would have made my decision a little easier.

Obviously if you have a good mechanic that you trust with your car they would do this for much less ... but I choose the Maserati path.

Interesting point on my overpayment ... original dealer that sold me the warranty continues to say that was the price back then and now it is lower. Hence I have moved on ... Although, I might see if the 4-year plan is refundable and re-purchase again.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Advice BeerGuy... i am thinking of going down the Maserati Path as well... and since i own the car and not lease. I think it will be a pretty good bargain for me to buy up this plan, before my first service (which is no where near)

The oil change is every 12 months or 12,500 miles. You would not want to run old oil that long considering all the RPM's you hear about on the forum.>:D

The big money is in year 3 and 4 of the service plan. If you leased and didn't feel you needed the plugs (based on your mileage) and cabin filters you would save by being selective on service.

The wild card is what will your dealer charge for these services at the time of service. I saw a WIDE range of quotes from different dealers and several offered 20% off the list price.

In short even at the inflated price of $1995 I felt it was more a hedged cost control for 4 years of maintenance within the warranty period. At $1625, it would have made my decision a little easier.

Obviously if you have a good mechanic that you trust with your car they would do this for much less ... but I choose the Maserati path.

Interesting point on my overpayment ... original dealer that sold me the warranty continues to say that was the price back then and now it is lower. Hence I have moved on ... Although, I might see if the 4-year plan is refundable and re-purchase again.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I bought it and I am pretty comfortable with the value. Even if I overpaid, I don't have to worry about paying for service for the first 4 years of ownership. Having a year one car that is a new segment for a brand is risky to say the least, hedging my bets up front still seems like a smart move.

Good Advice BeerGuy... i am thinking of going down the Maserati Path as well... and since i own the car and not lease. I think it will be a pretty good bargain for me to buy up this plan, before my first service (which is no where near)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if you want to do it independently you should consult Tom aka mrpa1999. He can tell you all about doing it.

For a guy like me, i want Maserati to do it. At least in the first 4 years. So in other words you have to bring the car to the dealer.

Reactions: GhibliFan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts