Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

What is Your Preferred Suspension for the SQ 4?

• Standard

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Sports

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • Skyhook

Votes: 9 16.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two part question here:

1. What is the preferred suspension for the SQ 4, and
2. Is there an optimum wheel size for that suspension? (Assuming summer driving/performance tires.)

(Or, does wheel size even matter?)

Unless you are a very enthusiastic driver, I would think the skyhook/19" wheel would be the best overall setup. It seems that a lot of SQ 4's have 20 or 21" wheels. A larger wheel size clearly improves the looks but does that larger size improve performance or not? (In winter driving, an 18" wheel is better but what about summer driving with performance tires/)

Consider the following statement from Autotrader:

Want a Smoother Ride? Change Your Wheel and Tire Size - AutoTrader.com

"...the general rule of thumb is that you can go up or down by one inch. For example, if your car is currently riding on 17-in wheels, you can reduce the size to 16 inches. If you're looking for better handling, you can go up to an 18-in wheel.

It's not recommended that you go much more than plus or minus one inch, as the car's suspension and springs were designed around the original wheel/tire setup. Too radical a change may lead to handling issues as well as suspension damage."

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agree with HQ! 100% while the 20" and 21" look better they ride much harsher especially when paired with a sport suspension and exactly the reason I purchased 19" and skyhook which eliminates the roll when engaged without being to rough on the ride. Remember a lot of improved handling is provided by the active AWD and its ability to change torque from front to back and vice versa very quickly thus virtually eliminating over/under steer. In addition, when driving at threshold limits you cannot use 100% of the tires grip while turning or accelerating as you need some of the tires handling capabilities which varies as you brake, turn and accelerate. It is only on my Sunday drives when I drive the twistys that I engage skyhook most of the time I am in normal mode and love the ride which I understand is softer than the stock suspension. But again this is always comes down to personal preference and many love the look of the larger tires and are willing to accept a harsher ride............my Camero had 20" and a sport suspension and I could not believe the difference in the ride quality between the Q S4 and the Camero which was bone jarring in comparison to the Ghibli even when skyhook was engaged...............

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the poll question, "What packages/options did you order?" there is a 5:1 ratio of Sports vs Skyhook suspension. I also recall that RSM stated he has a Sports Suspension but upon reflection, felt a Skyhook would have been better. (http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/purchasing-orders/4249-what-packages-options-did-you-order.html)

It would seem to me that it would be helpful if Maserati dealers would provide advice to prospective buyers on this subject (i.e., tradeoffs b/suspension type wheel sizes and tires) because IMO it is critical to the overall handling/performance of the SQ 4.

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
I agree with both of you (HQ1 and Etodd) that the 19" and Skyhook is the best possible combination for the SQ-4 to have both comfort and improved control on curvy roads.

I chose the look of the 20" wheels and felt skyhook would have less value than if I choose the 19" wheels. I came from a plushy riding car and wanted the looks and firm tight ride ... 20" Urano's and Sport Suspension. All boils down to personal preference ... really can't make a bad decision unless you picked 18" tires (IMO).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not enough polling yet to see what suspension those on this forum purchased. BeerGuy likes his 20" and sports suspension and I like my 19" and skyhook and that is what a high end car like this is all about personalization........

I also agree with HQ! that dealers should have a discussion with potential buyers on suspension, however as we know from the threads all the sales people are not fully up to speed on the types and differences of suspension systems that are available on this car.....my salesmen is still apologizing for telling me that skyhook is fixed and sports was driver selectible.......this should pass over time as this first year of a new car...........

·
Registered
80 Posts
In any case it depends as well how you drive and mainly where you live. Living in an alpine country like Switzerland with a lot of curvy roads and with a rather sportive driving style for me the sport suspension and 20'' where a clear decision. If I would live in the USA I would probably choose Skyhook and in Florida even Standard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an SQ4 with the standard suspension and 20" wheels. I had a chance to drive a loaner SQ4 (while the subwoofer was being fixed). I didn't note which setup the loaner had before we drove out of the dealership, but I guessed pretty quickly that it had the 18s, due to the soft ride and extra roll in corners. It also had the standard suspension.

The wheel/tire package, alone, makes a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello all
I just ordered the Ghibli. I ordered it with shift paddles and without the entire sports package. This was advised by my dealer. He did so for the following reasons:
1) sports button is standard on sq4. That button changes exhaust to make that beautiful sound and changes gearing;
2) sport package adds cost of suspension that I would not notice and they don't order the cars with skyhook (doesn't work well they say):
3) sports package must order 19-21 inch wheels. My dealer feels the 19-21 may look real nice but with our pothole ridden roads in NJ the 19-21 inch thin wheels will experience more blow out risk. I ordered the 18's because they are thick tires less prone to blowouts.

I also spoke to a local guy who has the 19 inch tires on the quatraporte. His is a 2008 and he has replaced tires four times due to blowouts on potholes. He suggested staying with 18's if he could do it again. My dealer is really open about options and their real benefit v just loading up the car.
Steve.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So mine is 19 inch with sports suspension. I did the test drive in the same spec car. It turns out to be pretty awesome around the corners and curvy roads... to me i would have got the skyhook but in the end decided to go with sports suspension.

To I find the ride of the sport suspension pretty firm and stable. esp when you are doing spirited driving (but then again how much anyone does spirited driving)

Also i am thinking about changing tire to Ultra High Performance All Weather instead of Summer tires that came standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sport Suspension and Skyhook Suspension?

It appears that for 2015 you can order both the sport suspension package and the Skyhook suspension. What would be the advantage of having both? How would they work together?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Where did you saw this information? I would like to see how can they give you both Skyhook and sports at the same time.

It appears that for 2015 you can order both the sport suspension package and the Skyhook suspension. What would be the advantage of having both? How would they work together?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did you saw this information? I would like to see how can they give you both Skyhook and sports at the same time.
Sorry, I must have read it incorrectly. I was looking at the packages available for 2015 and the Sport Suspension was included with the Sport Package priced at $3900. Then there was a footnote that said Skyhook Suspension (+$1750). I thought they meant you could also have the Skyhook suspension for an additional $1750 but based on your response they must have meant you could substitute the Skyhook for the Sport suspension for an additional $1750.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry, I must have read it incorrectly. I was looking at the packages available for 2015 and the Sport Suspension was included with the Sport Package priced at $3900. Then there was a footnote that said Skyhook Suspension (+$1750). I thought they meant you could also have the Skyhook suspension for an additional $1750 but based on your response they must have meant you could substitute the Skyhook for the Sport suspension for an additional $1750.
there is a long thread on suspensions and you cannot have both a sports and skyhook suspension..........nice to see they now offer a sports package with either suspension as I wanted skyhook which was a seperate option and not available with the sports suspension........there was a lot of confusion about suspensions and the sales people in some cases did not know the differences and what was avaialble hopefully that has passed......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have an SQ4 with 20" wheels and sport suspension, but had a base car with 18" wheels as a loaner for a week. Except on the worst potholed streets of Toronto, there was not that much difference in ride quality.

I spend winters in SW Florida were no suspension is required. The roads are so smooth and flat, that an F1 car would feel like a limo.

So I think it partially depends where you live, but 20" and sport is not that much stiffer than 18" and base.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For me its the sports susp in combo with the 20inch, 21 would be perfect but I liked the 20's more and they are cheaper.

I always driven cars with hard suspension, so soft would surely be a fail, my second testcar was a SQ4 with 19 inch and standard, I just didn't like it, in fact I was happy to jump back in my audi, but the other testcar felt great and thats what i took in my configuration.

My car wil be build in exactly 1 month !!!!! Olééé

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I like that plan - no need for Summers unless you are driving on a track or where high speeds are doable - IMO; I am in the NE and my answer is no to both

DD

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi Guys

Do you know if the Sport Suspension is lower/shorter than the standard suspension or Skyhook? Also, does it stiffen the suspension or lower it when the "SPORT" button is pushed?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi Guys

Do you know if the Sport Suspension is lower/shorter than the standard suspension or Skyhook? Also, does it stiffen the suspension or lower it when the "SPORT" button is pushed?
Sport suspension I believe is lowered by .4 of an inch. Sport button only affects transmission/engine parameters. If you want an adjustable suspension you must buy skyhook which the stiffer mode is not as stiff as the sports suspension.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sport suspension I believe is lowered by .4 of an inch. Sport button only affects transmission/engine parameters. If you want an adjustable suspension you must buy skyhook which the stiffer mode is not as stiff as the sports suspension.
I was watching a Ghibli SQ4 test driving video clip in Taiwan. They mentioned the suspension stiffens up when the "sport" button is pushed. They are probably talking about the Skyhook then.
I am surprised that Taiwan only has the SQ4 model for sale. ($170K).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts