Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChiTownMaser said:
I replaced only my front 2 door speakers with these and I highly recommend them. I liked them more than the comparatively priced Focals.
The stock speakers are absolute garbage compared to these.

Abt.com - Pioneer TS-Z65CH

I feel I could have replaced all 4 door speakers with these and been happy without the additional sub amp and 10in subwoofer (to replace stock sub) I also installed. You will get your mid-range bass with these and then some (especially if you go all 4 doors) and I have EQs at 0 across the board so it's clean sound without rattle. With the additional powered sub, my system rocks and I'm extremely pleased. This was an upgrade on the Harman 900W system.
Very helpful, thanks! Probably a dumb question (still learning here :)) - are the speakers in the rear doors the same size as the front?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ChiTownMaser said:
I replaced only my front 2 door speakers with these and I highly recommend them. I liked them more than the comparatively priced Focals.
The stock speakers are absolute garbage compared to these.

Abt.com - Pioneer TS-Z65CH

I feel I could have replaced all 4 door speakers with these and been happy without the additional sub amp and 10in subwoofer (to replace stock sub) I also installed. You will get your mid-range bass with these and then some (especially if you go all 4 doors) and I have EQs at 0 across the board so it's clean sound without rattle. With the additional powered sub, my system rocks and I'm extremely pleased. This was an upgrade on the Harman 900W system.
I am doing the four doors as well, but I am also going to do the center speaker.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very helpful, thanks! Probably a dumb question (still learning here :)) - are the speakers in the rear doors the same size as the front?
yes

Reactions: achayes

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
313 Posts
I am doing the four doors as well, but I am also going to do the center speaker.
good call on the center speaker. I wish I had upgraded the center speaker. It does a lot of work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
good call on the center speaker. I wish I had upgraded the center speaker. It does a lot of work.
It sure does. Too much I think. A lot of sound (voices) come from there and if it’s inadequate it really exposes the low quality of the speaker.

For now I actually faded the sound slightly to the rear to take some emphasis off the center speaker. Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
313 Posts
It sure does. Too much I think. A lot of sound (voices) come from there and if it’s inadequate it really exposes the low quality of the speaker.

For now I actually faded the sound slightly to the rear to take some emphasis off the center speaker. Does anyone else do this?
yeah i faded back 2 clicks as well

Reactions: Joe-Ghibli

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Figured I would add one more recent observation. We had a few 70 degree days here in the Boston area this week. The Premium Sound system sounds a lot better to me with the windows open. Go figure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Figured I would add one more recent observation. We had a few 70 degree days here in the Boston area this week. The Premium Sound system sounds a lot better to me with the windows open. Go figure.
Joe - I"m curious did you ever wind up upgrading your system? If so what did you go with? Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Joe - I"m curious did you ever wind up upgrading your system? If so what did you go with? Thanks!
I did not. Sometimes if sounds really good and sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired. I probably will only have this car until November 2022. I don't want to put a few thousand into it with upgrades. I do think the exhaust compromises the acoustics of the system. I think it sounds better with the windows open because of this because with the windows open, the cabin rumbles a lot less.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I don't want to spend that kind of money either; so I think I'll live with it for now. I'm going to see if the dealer will crank up the AMP to the 10db to help with the poor sound. Outside of that I think I'll just deal. I'm not a big fan of removing the door panels and taking apart things, although I know any competent shop is able to do it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I don't want to spend that kind of money either; so I think I'll live with it for now. I'm going to see if the dealer will crank up the AMP to the 10db to help with the poor sound. Outside of that I think I'll just deal. I'm not a big fan of removing the door panels and taking apart things, although I know any competent shop is able to do it.
Exactly, the days of DIY are over for me. Having the door cards removed, sound proofed and new speakers put is costly with no guarantee the investment will be commensurate with the improvement in sound quality. I will say this, I have a "dog car", it is a 2003 BMW E39 and I did wire tap in a subwoofer. The system sounds head and shoulders better than my Ghibli and this is with 18 year old stock door speakers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had one of those "E39" I loved that car, purchased it from neighbor back in 2004(ish). You're right that stereo in that car was worlds better than the one in the Maserati.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm telling ya, have the dealer do that and get that dragonfly red DAC i was talking about on a different post and voila, you will have decent sound with some bass for $199. Downside is you lose steering wheel controls since the DAC plugs into AUX. But the tradeoff is worth it if the crappy sound is really bugging you, in my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm telling ya, have the dealer do that and get that dragonfly red DAC i was talking about on a different post and voila, you will have decent sound with some bass for $199. Downside is you lose steering wheel controls since the DAC plugs into AUX. But the tradeoff is worth it if the crappy sound is really bugging you, in my opinion.
I was going to order that an try it but the truth is I don't really care for cords much however I could have gotten over that but the other thing is I use my phone for nav a lot and I guess I sort of would lose that function if I threw the phone in the arm rest part. I guess I could get an ipod touch or something and download some music on that. I guess I can try the dragonfly and see how it goes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Same for me on chords. I looked into that device too until I realized you had to load uncompressed music on it. I like the freedom of streaming music on demand at my finger tips. I have been running a Carlinkit wireless Apple CarPlay dongle for months now. Works great in the Ghibli.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same for me on chords. I looked into that device too until I realized you had to load uncompressed music on it. I like the freedom of streaming music on demand at my finger tips. I have been running a Carlinkit wireless Apple CarPlay dongle for months now. Works great in the Ghibli.
Joe - Where do you plug the device(dongle) in?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Joe - Where do you plug the device(dongle) in?
Never mind I get it now; I just ordered one I'll see how it works. Might be a good solution; I'm curious can you toggle back to the stock system if you want to play XM satellite?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Curious to know what the dealer charges for the amp adjustment. Please post up your prices. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never mind I get it now; I just ordered one I'll see how it works. Might be a good solution; I'm curious can you toggle back to the stock system if you want to play XM satellite?
Pretty sure it just makes the CarPlay wireless, your radio remains untouched...?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts