Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Ghibli. It’s a 2017 and only came with one key fob. I see that I can purchase a used key fob on eBay for about $70. But one of the locksmiths I called said that they don’t think they can do a used key fob. Anyone have experience with this and can say for sure?

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
You need the dealer to program the key

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the question is regarding a used key. Can the dealer program a key that was used for another car (salvaged)?

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
But the question is regarding a used key. Can the dealer program a key that was used for another car (salvaged)?
Yes they can. Many of these trade hands from wrecks / salvage. Much cheaper than buying new from dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they can. Many of these trade hands from wrecks / salvage. Much cheaper than buying new from dealer.
Perfect! Not sure why the locksmith said only virgin keys for Maserati’s... I’ll try the dealership this weekend!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone curious, the answer is yes. You can get a used/salvaged key fob reprogrammed to your Ghibli. I just got mine done and it was $165 service + $15 environmental fee (don’t know why) + tax (for labor?!). Total came to just about $200.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the keyblade in the fob is the only thing that'll cost more to replace, due to having a new one cut for the vin/lock cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my first Ghibli. It’s a 2017 and only came with one key fob. I see that I can purchase a used key fob on eBay for about $70. But one of the locksmiths I called said that they don’t think they can do a used key fob. Anyone have experience with this and can say for sure?
Hi I have a 2014 Ghibli and had same issue, got a key on eBay for $92 I’m in the US (Phila,Pa.) found a honest locksmith who cut the key and programmed it for $50 bucks . The key is a easy cut he said bc they are Dodge keys and required the similar type cut as a Dodge Dart !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts