Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with the initial media swoonfest over, many publications are now catching onto some of the Ghibli's issues. I don't think its fair to even call them quirks, quirks are character and enhance ownership to a degree, issues that have been outlined in the community workbook are just pains in asses...

Jalopnik for one has also found issue with the acceleration and turbo lag:

Don't get me wrong, the Ghibli is the kind of fast that forces kids to scream and makes women immediately want you. But it just doesn't feel that fast. For one, there is noticeable turbo lag from the engine, especially at the lower end.

Once it's above 3,000 RPM, the Gimlet pulls strong and hard, but that lower range is where I get frustrated.

There's another frustration that has to do with acceleration, and it's the throttle pedal itself. When you put your foot down on a throttle pedal, there's usually some sort of resistance or tactile feedback. This is how you know how far down the pedal is going. That doesn't happen in the Ghibli. The pedal is like pressing your foot down on the limp arm of a very dead man. There is just no communication to your foot

It actually got to a point where an extended drive made my foot and entire leg hurt, since I needed to make the resistance myself and actively hold my foot in one position. It stunk.
as did Car and Driver

When you need speed, things are slow to wake back up. Prod the car with half the throttle and nothing much happens. Nail it and time passes while the trans drops three gears and the boost builds. If you’re eyeing the open freeway lane next to your stopped one, goose it well before jumping out or risk being rear-ended. That’s when you notice how small 3.0 liters is in a two-ton-plus car. And our four-wheel-drive S Q4 version had the powered-up 3.0-liter. Just imagine the 345-hp version of this engine in the rear-drive Ghibli. It’s all or nothing with this engine, the “all” being, granted, rather spectacular.
Road and Track found a chunk of rattles

Too much here feels low-cost: The shift paddles rattle when you pull for a gear change; the console shifter is plasticky and doesn't always find the gear you want; the doors shut with a harsh, painful whack and a rattle. (Frameless glass, though. I love frameless glass. Feels special.) The noise the trunk lid makes on closing—it says $15,000 car, not $75,000 one.
They also encountered Blue Tooth issues

most noticeably in the UConnect infotainment system that, in our test car, took five tries to pair a phone and refused to hang up a call via the touchscreen button
Now that the media is on to these niggles, coupled with the community workbook Maserati knows there are significant issues. Their finger is still on the reset button, these need to be sorted out NOW or else they run the risk of Levante being still born.

·
Registered
112 Posts
eh, whad'yu want? Shees eehtalhian!

Seriously, I even have turbo lag in my cls 550 (V8) and it is a lot worse than the Ghibli.

Did these reviewers mention use of paddle shifters or sport mode to mitigate turbo lag?

Perhaps, even better, is for Maserati to write a "Ghibli Guide for Dummies (aka Reviewers)" book. With all the different settings available it would help if reviewers learned how to use them correctly before writing their observations.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did these reviewers mention use of paddle shifters or sport mode to mitigate turbo lag?
In Sport mode you barely have time to realize there is turbo lag before she pushes you back into your seat with furious vengeance.
:crying:

Reactions: sverzi and HQ1

·
Registered
159 Posts
I found that the acceleration pedal feels very similar to that of my previous Ferraris. Shared parts I guess.

In terms of turbo lag, haven't really experienced it, but there again I drive manual everywhere using the paddles. Just drop the gear if I need more torque.

Love the sport mode, scared my neighbour's child and she had to cover her ears when I switched it on.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I think it better if you add posts pertaining to reviews by publications - good :)or bad :(to the exisiting C & D thread >:D

DD

Reactions: sverzi

·
Registered
103 Posts
I drove a Base model and noticed a drastic either throttle hesitation and/or turbo lag and/or lack of low-end torque. It felt far more gutless at lower ranges than my 535i I6 Turbo. When the revs got up, obviously it moved better, but to me torque is so important, and it's not like the Ghibli doesn't make torque.

I wonder if Maserati will "fix" it for 2015 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts