Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I blew my motor last monday and found a donor car with low miles the dealer said 20 hrs to pull and install man I don't see it we pulled this in three and took quite a few breaks i do have to swap manifold and altinator and attach my transmission but that stuff is easy when it's out also did end have a tough time with a single bolt or axle I while I have it out I'm going to change the oil pressure sensor!! Don't be scared they are just like any other car!! Took a video trying to get it to attach if I can't send a message and I will email it couldn't did an references online for the think I but my friends own a shop full of them that they scrap so I have experienced help super cheap

·
Registered
133 Posts
As a former Maserati dealer tech of almost 5 years I can tell you this about engine replacements at the dealership: I got removal down to 35 minutes with the engine table. The key is quality of work performed and experience. The job under warranty pays 16.5 hours. The first time you do one at a dealer, it takes around 25 hours learning all of the clips and connectors and grounds. Plus you have to put it all back together in the factory quality way, can’t beeak anything or it’s on your ass to pay for and fix. I’ve replaced about 50 or 60 engines for Maserati and I could usually do the full swap in 4 hours and it’s ready to test drive. When you go to a shop, especially a specialty shop, you’re paying for the quality of technician, the knowledge, the warranty on repair, and knowing you shouldn’t have issues after you pick it up. I had it down to such a science I had a drawer in my tool cart specifically for engine replacements. I know every bolt, connector, sensor, that goes into the replacement. The thing about flat rate repair is that as the tech you get paid whatever the job is supposed to take. If you beat the clock and have no issues, you can make some money. If a bolt strips or breaks and takes you extra hours you don’t make that money back because it took you 28 hours and you only get paid 16.5.

Reactions: sc00bk and NYCSQ4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I blew my motor last monday and found a donor car with low miles the dealer said 20 hrs to pull and install man I don't see it we pulled this in three and took quite a few breaks i do have to swap manifold and altinator and attach my transmission but that stuff is easy when it's out also did end have a tough time with a single bolt or axle I while I have it out I'm going to change the oil pressure sensor!! Don't be scared they are just like any other car!! Took a video trying to get it to attach if I can't send a message and I will email it couldn't did an references online for the think I but my friends own a shop full of them that they scrap so I have experienced help super cheap
IN WOULD LIMKE TO SEE THAT VIDEO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you put a v8 in a sq4 in 4 hour?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts