Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have been having a problem with my 2017 Ghibli for the past couple of weeks. When I am accelerating quickly the throttle feels as though I putting my foot up and down on the accelerator even though I am accelerating smoothly (foot down the whole time). Not sure what the problem could be, it only does it when I am sport driving.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Funny, i've noticed a similar sensation but always think to myself "maybe i shifted my foot in a weird way". Its barely noticeable so never thought much of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 17 SQ4 and have not noticed your issue, however, when I drove a 17 base model while waiting for my Ghibli to come in I felt the exact thing. I asked the dealer about it and he told me sometimes the base engines have a stuttering affect when excellerating while the AC is running.
Don’t know if you have a base engine or not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 2014 does this, but I believe it ONLY happens within the 1st 5 min of driving or so, when the engine is cold. Because of this I always start off driving in ICE mode and that seems to eliminate it.

Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2014 does this, but I believe it ONLY happens within the 1st 5 min of driving or so, when the engine is cold. Because of this I always start off driving in ICE mode and that seems to eliminate it.

Ron
My 2014 also does this for the first 5 minutes but like you said its because the engine is warming up. Funny I drive in ICE the same as you do until its warm. Assume its better since rpm's tend to stay down in ice which should be better when cold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have a 2018 without this issue.

Are you guys sure it's not the VVT (valve timing) kicking in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an SQ4 and have not noticed it enough to act further. I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced the same thing. I will try and let the car warm up a bit more and see if it still happens.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 2014 also does this for the first 5 minutes but like you said its because the engine is warming up. Funny I drive in ICE the same as you do until its warm. Assume its better since rpm's tend to stay down in ice which should be better when cold.
same for me .. SQ4 MY2019 ... even in normal mode once engine cold it does that, so i put on ICE
much smoother once warm then it is all good
Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah I would just wait until the engine is warm to even put it in sport

I personnaly do start it in sport mode all the time, for the beauty of the sound :) (though I don't push revs up untill the engine is warm, of course). Back to the topic, I never noticed pulsating acceleration on my MY2018, in any sort of wheather conditions (from below 0°C in winter time up to 40+ °C in summer time).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definitely have the pulsing on MY17 SQ4. I start mine in sport mode for the noise! Don’t push revs until we’re all warmed up.

That said you can feel this even when your foot isn’t on the gas. I was pulling out of my driveway and going less than 10mph and as I pulled up to the stop sign I had my foot lightly on the brake and could feel the engine pulsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
MY18 does the same thing. its simply because its cold. i have four buddies with MY18s and every single one of theirs does it. even the ones that say they dont i experienced it with all of their cars as well.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
My old Q4 did it my new SQ4 does it the levante SQ4 of my wife does it ... it happen only when you drive very slow it is not a big thing, many drivers don't even notice it.
When I start if I want weak up half of the village I start on sports mode then when I go to the main street I either stay in sports mode or normal or ICE .. You fell less on ICE .. engine must be cold and after 3 or 4 minutes you don't fell it anymore
For testing it is very easy start the car engine cold then drive even in normal mode slowly, release the foot from the accelerator and then just touch it to gain speed slowly you fell a pulse .. in my village to cross it there is some narrow curves where you need to go slowly and going a bit up like a small hill you fell it and it us absolutely normal.

But some drivers don't notice it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to see this post albeit I’m late to the party - I’m in an SQ4 and had this hesitation when accelerating for a while but it’s hard to repeat when your taking a mechanic out to prove your point! .... mine is VERY noticeable, it’s not a cold engine problem I do notice it more going up hills but it’s literally like I am pushing the throttle up and down and unless I slam my foot down through it the problem will continue. No warning lights, cars been scanned multiple times. One answer that a dealer has told me is my wheels. I have 22” KOKO’s super wide 305 on the back 25 profile. I’ve never had this reaction when changing wheels and tires on any car so I’ve ignored them but I can’t seem to find any other answers!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
On my SQ4 MY16 I also notice from time to time pulsing. Not only when engine is cold. This can happen suddenly. The dealer checked all the logs but couldn't find anything. But of course it is not reproducible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts