Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a clean looking 2018 SQ4 for sale near me with 25k miles. One owner. Personal vehicle, not a lease. Clean carfax but the owner didn’t service the vehicle once from purchase in 2019 - 2022. The first time it was serviced was when it was turned in to the dealership. I believe I can still get an extended factory warranty. But is it too too risky at this point? Has the lack of care over the last fews years made this too risky?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that it shows the owner has/had a lack of "give a ****" about the car. Was it thrashed over speed bumps, raced etc.
Yeah, that’s the worry. Probably too big of a risk I’m thinking. Has anybody ever had a good experience with one of these cars that wasn’t cared for carefully? Could the car still be fine?

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
376 Posts
There's 4 year old oil sludging up that engine on top of it likely needing brakes/rotors at that mileage and an ECU/software update plus whatever campaigns (recalls) that were never performed. And the Ghibli typically has a major service due in year 4, which changes out belts, plugs, other fluids and is fairly expensive (I'm due for that this summer). You're going to have to invest a lot just to get this ride up to par and have some piece of mind. And it'd almost certainly be more than the extra you'd pay for a properly serviced same year ghibli.

I bought my last maserati (MC) out of state and had it shipped. First time I had done that and it worked out well, found an incredible deal out of state for a properly serviced, low mile MC that had the specs I wanted. You should be able to find what you're looking for if you're willing to do that.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
211 Posts
ChiTown and/or Jason, how mandatory is the four year service (oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin air filter)? I saw an online quote for almost $1000 and my dealer charges $400+ for just the oil change.

My Ghibli is a garage queen that I almost exclusively use for long trips. Owned since March 2020 and I have the oil changed every fall (two falls after 12k driving each year). Just turned 26k and have another 4-6k of driving planned this summer (three long trips). I have no problem paying for necessary maintenance (e.g., annual oil change) but paying for excess maintenance based on arbitrary mileage frustrates me. Having said that, I can accept the brake fluid flush as the car is four years old (sat on the dealer lot for two years) and I know brake fluid can absorb water over time. I prefer to avoid brake line and system issues. So interested in your opinion about how driving pattern can impact scheduled maintenance.

·
Administrator
2,703 Posts
ChiTown and/or Jason, how mandatory is the four year service (oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin air filter)? I saw an online quote for almost $1000 and my dealer charges $400+ for just the oil change.

My Ghibli is a garage queen that I almost exclusively use for long trips. Owned since March 2020 and I have the oil changed every fall (two falls after 12k driving each year). Just turned 26k and have another 4-6k of driving planned this summer (three long trips). I have no problem paying for necessary maintenance (e.g., annual oil change) but paying for excess maintenance based on arbitrary mileage frustrates me. Having said that, I can accept the brake fluid flush as the car is four years old (sat on the dealer lot for two years) and I know brake fluid can absorb water over time. I prefer to avoid brake line and system issues. So interested in your opinion about how driving pattern can impact scheduled maintenance.
  1. I'd suggest keeping the oil changes current ... whether you use an indy, do it yourself or dealer. That one is very important. I do every 12 months ... even if I only put 2K miles on, (covid year not many [places to go)). The 2018 engine, isn't as susceptible, but the early model engines would breakdown and contribute to oil pump failure/engine seizures.
  2. Brake fluid as you suggest ... cheaper to be proactive than pay the consequences. Although, I did defer my second fluid change this time since the old manuals give more time than the newer recommendations. The new standard is every 2 years.
  3. Cabin air filter ... it's a do it yourself job. Buy online for cheap and install in engine compartment (super easy). That's what I did.
  4. I've deferred spark plug changes, (did first one under maintenance plan), but when pulled they looked like new.
  5. Belts you should check for wear, cracks and fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts