Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am considering buying a used Ghibli (gasoline).

I have 3 questions:

1) I would like to know if this car is reliable. I can read a lot of bad things on the internet about construction quality, assembling quality but i don't find precise informaiton on reliability.
It would be my everyday car.

2) What about maintenance cost?
Is it like maintaining an Audi or a BMW or is it more like a Ferrari?

3) Which version is the most desirable? Should i avoid the first generations?

Many thanks!

PS: forgive my bad english, i'm french

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello

I have 3 questions:

1) I would like to know if this car is reliable. I can read a lot of bad things on the internet about construction quality, assembling quality but i don't find precise informaiton on reliability.

Many thanks!

1). From my experience the car is reliable with no problems since owning outside of having to replace the battery which was under warranty. I've added about 10,000 miles in a year as my daily driver.

2). Maintenance cost is more along the lines of Ferrari. The oil changes are around $300 to $700 depending if you go to a dealer or independent mechanic. The good thing is you don't have to change the oil but every 10-12,000 miles. If you get a used one make sure to get a warranty to cover any unforeseen problems.

3). As with most cars the very first model has issues here and there. The one thing I know is the 2014 and 2015 have the best sounding exhaust. I think they changed the exhaust note 2016 so it's not as loud. I have a 2015 SQ4 and love it.

·
Super Moderator
2,096 Posts
You can get best deals on well maintained, properly serviced 2014-2015 cars. Although, you will find 2016 and newer will be more refined with most problems worked out ... so longer term maybe more reliable. I have a 2014 SQ4 which I ordered brand new, love the car and it has performed great over the years from proper maintenance. At some point, I will make a decision on when to trade in as the repair costs "could" at some point exceed the value of the car. The engine alone is USD 25-30K to replace if done with Maserati service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

What can justify $700 for oil change? Can't i do it myself for much much less?

·
Registered
339 Posts
My dealer charges $400 for an oil change. I have priced the parts out. An SQ4 takes 8 quarts plus the filter. Roughly $100 in parts. Dealers charge $200 an hour for labor. I am sure they milk the hours to 1.5 "checking" everything, so $400 is in the ballpark. Is it overly expensive? Yup, but if you buy one under warranty and DIY oil changes, you can kiss the warranty goodbye in the even of an engine failure. They are strict about proper approved maintenance. If you have an indie do maintenance work, the dealer wants the records blessed and logged.

In terms of doing it yourself, I think there are about 30 screws to remove to remove the protective plate to get at the oil drain. That alone without a lift would be a bitch.

My $0.02 on a car for you - 2017 and up. The changes they made to the infotainment are worth it alone, plus working out bugs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks

What can justify $700 for oil change? Can't i do it myself for much much less?
If you do it yourself and you mess up your engine (someone else here put the wrong oil in their car and did just that), your warranty claim WILL be denied.
Basically if you don't have proper maintenance records and maintenance wasn't done almost exactly on schedule, good luck with any warranty claims.
But if you're out of warranty (scary proposition..), doesn't matter I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but if I buy it used, I don’t have to care about Maserati’s warranty.
and if I use a vacuum oil drainer, I don’t have to bother with the protective plate

what do you think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
and if I use a vacuum oil drainer, I don’t have to bother with the protective plate

what do you think?
To each his own, but used doesn't mean it won't have original factory warranty left. If not got for it I guess or bring it to someone that will charge you $200 USD. All this said, my personal rule of thumb is NEVER drive a German or Italian car out of warranty. When the warranty runs out, I get another one. Too much financial exposure. I mean if you are talking about doing your own oil changes and getting a car without any warranty and are concerned over the cost of ownership, maybe you are looking at the wrong car? I mean this with all due respect.

·
Registered
94 Posts

what do you think?
This is my plan. Purchased a 2016 SQ4 last Spring, warranty was up early January. Got hold of a shop manual and hope to be able to tackle most anything that comes up. Not my only car though, so I have transportation if a bigger job comes along.

Not sure that I would want it as my only transportation unless I had a warranty. But looking at how much these depreciate I could take a total loss on my purchase price and be no worse off then the original owner.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes You can. I change mine for a little over $100.00. I have a youtube channel with many maintenance related videos as well as ownership experience and tips videos. Www.youtube.com/c/jamesdiygarage
Check it out and subscribe if you decide to pull the trigger on a Ghibli.
Hey Jim, I have watched a ton of your videos! Didn't know this was you. I'm definitely the guy who would put the tools on the fender tray in the spark plug video and have them fall into never never land! Same for dropping things into the engine down to the tray. I have a lot of experience with magnets!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Jim, I have watched a ton of your videos! Didn't know this was you. I'm definitely the guy who would put the tools on the fender tray in the spark plug video and have them fall into never never land! Same for dropping things into the engine down to the tray. I have a lot of experience with magnets!
Dropped the bolt for my LT1 Camaro oil pump driveshaft into the block one time. Magnet to the rescue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dropped the bolt for my LT1 Camaro oil pump driveshaft into the block one time. Magnet to the rescue.
I stupidly once decided to change a timing chain tentioner in an amusement park parking lot on a 90 degree day on my 5-series. I dropped the spring and didn't have a magnet. After a few hours of blood and sweat trying to get it, I used the old spring from the removed tentioner and I was pretty much was in the same place. There was no sense of urgency to this project, it just was supposed to be easy. It was because of this, I don't [email protected] around in the engine anymore. I don't have the tools, the eyes or the patience for it anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

I have 3 questions:

Many thanks!

These folks are not telling the truth. 1st oil service is $350. 2nd one plus maintenance $700. 3rd one (change spark plugs) $1200. 4th one was $2000. Between the 3rd and 4th service you will need tires and brakes which is an additional $3000.

·
Registered
339 Posts
These folks are not telling the truth. 1st oil service is $350. 2nd one plus maintenance $700. 3rd one (change spark plugs) $1200. 4th one was $2000. Between the 3rd and 4th service you will need tires and brakes which is an additional $3000.
I wouldn't say we weren't telling the truth? Every dealer charges differently in every country. My oil changes at my dealer are $400. I don't think anyone supported $700 for an oil change at a dealer. Here is the price sheet from my dealer:

·
Super Moderator
2,096 Posts
I wouldn't say we weren't telling the truth? Every dealer charges differently in every country. My oil changes at my dealer are $400. I don't think anyone supported $700 for an oil change at a dealer. Here is the price sheet from my dealer:
Thanks for sharing the pricing sheet. I found my service center is comparable to yours as I reviewed my 6th year of service ... did only what was needed. Oil/Filter Change, Brake fluid flush, and a lot of inspections and adjustments before my extended warranty expires mid March.
I felt bad, they nicked the windshield tint removing inspection stickers, (3M Crystalline), and wanted to make it right, so they had a local tinter replace the 3M crystalline before delivering the car back to me. Of interest, it showed 10 units of oil required for my SQ4 to reach max target level.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pricing sheet. I found my service center is comparable to yours as I reviewed my 6th year of service ... did only what was needed. Oil/Filter Change, Brake fluid flush, and a lot of inspections and adjustments before my extended warranty expires mid March.
I felt bad, they nicked the windshield tint removing inspection stickers, (3M Crystalline), and wanted to make it right, so they had a local tinter replace the 3M crystalline before delivering the car back to me. Of interest, it showed 10 units of oil required for my SQ4 to reach max target level.
Question you may know the answer to. Before delivery of my car, I asked why they weren’t doing the 3 year service as part of certification. They said it wasn’t due. My car is a 2017 with 30k miles. So basically I will need to pay for it. But is it 3 years or 37k or which come first or my choice? When do they expect me to do it?

·
Super Moderator
2,096 Posts
The annual service is usually triggered by date "or" mileage. If you were less than 12,500 miles (20,000 km) from last service or 3 years from in service date they wouldn't have completed the 3rd service. Usually, the oil/filter and required inspections are done in certification unless they had records to show it was up to date on service. This does vary a little by dealer. If it's not covered by Maserati, they usually add the cost to the car base price ... so you indirectly pay one way or another depending on how bad they want to sell the car.
The computer (wrench icon on display) will remind you several weeks before your due date or if you approach the mileage interval.
I do mine every 12 months since I don't exceed the mileage requirement. Now outside my maintenance contract, I tend to do what's absolutely needed for the mileage and push back on items that are more mileage dependent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2014 which was out of factory warranty but purchased from the dealer a 4 year or 75,000 mile warranty that covered mostly the power train and several other things .
I also have the previous service and the car appeared to have no issues other than a tire issue caused by driving over a piece of metal and the breaks and oil change was done as outlined by the owner’s manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts