Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
The annual service is usually triggered by date "or" mileage. If you were less than 12,500 miles (20,000 km) from last service or 3 years from in service date they wouldn't have completed the 3rd service. Usually, the oil/filter and required inspections are done in certification unless they had records to show it was up to date on service. This does vary a little by dealer. If it's not covered by Maserati, they usually add the cost to the car base price ... so you indirectly pay one way or another depending on how bad they want to sell the car.
The computer (wrench icon on display) will remind you several weeks before your due date or if you approach the mileage interval.
I do mine every 12 months since I don't exceed the mileage requirement. Now outside my maintenance contract, I tend to do what's absolutely needed for the mileage and push back on items that are more mileage dependent.
Thank you sir as always. So the wrench will be my driver in terms of when to bring it in. What you said makes total sense in terms of what they described to me when I challenged them on why they weren’t doing the 3 year service. I’ll put his in the budget. I hear you on the little things though that they “recommend” but aren’t required.

Thanks again for this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 Ghibli SQ4 and have put 35000 miles on it since new and all I have done to it so far is:

(2) Oil Changes- $475/each
(4) Tires- $800 (replaced with Bridgestone All Season (Not RFLs)
(4) Brake pads

The car runs amazing and eats up gas as it should.

My suggestion would be NOT to buy a used Maserati. The car is a beast and people abuse them and the abused ones are not worth buying.
The car is always wanting to be DRIVEN so its not driver's fault to drive it hard. An absolute fun car to own and drive, especially mine has paddle shifters.

Also, if you are going to buy a Maserati, it is going to cost you high dollar to maintain for sure, so make your decision wisely.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2014 base Ghilbli and do the oil myself, the skid plate isn't difficult to remove, and the oil changing procedure is quite simple. As mentioned there are many great you tube video's on the subject. I drove the car up on ramps.
I actually purchased my parts from a Maserati dealer on eBay, the pricing was slightly better. And I got all the filters and the plugs. Did them all at once. Make sure you have, or have access to, a maintenance indicator reset tool. I purchased the X-200 PRO OBDStar reader on Amazon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will tell you though I wouldn't have purchased the car knowing that getting a shop manual or repair manual is not going to happen. They can't be found. Only dealers have access to the Maserati system and they hate 3rd party repair shops and make them pay something like $150+ for each instruction downloaded. I work on my Lotus Evora and it is much easier to get repair procedures, etc. I just had the Fuel Pumps replaced and the Navigation Fin at Maserati for $2300. Couldn't do the work myself :( without manuals...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2014 base Ghilbli and do the oil myself, the skid plate isn't difficult to remove, and the oil changing procedure is quite simple. As mentioned there are many great you tube video's on the subject. I drove the car up on ramps.
I actually purchased my parts from a Maserati dealer on eBay, the pricing was slightly better. And I got all the filters and the plugs. Did them all at once. Make sure you have, or have access to, a maintenance indicator reset tool. I purchased the X-200 PRO OBDStar reader on Amazon.
Yes but a used Maserati may have problems more than a simple oil change and that’s where it will get super expensive. My 35000 miles of driving has been the best experience I’ve ever and I’ve had all top of the line German vehicles and they are nothing when compared to a Maserati. My car is in super awesome condition but as it ages, it’s bound to start having issues and that’s when they become cheap and available all over dealerships.
knowing and owning this magnificent automobile for 2.5 years, I would not recommend buying a used one unless it is CPO and under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
And add, that most dealerships are Ferrari or another high end car in addition, so get used to waiting. The people that drop off their cars don't care about getting them back. My Maserati is my daily driver (thought I drive only 11 miles a day). I waited 1.5 months to get my car back during the repairs stated in the previous post :( And getting parts is **** near impossible. They have to order from Italy if not found locally at one of their dist. centers which is often.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well new is nice, I won't disagree. But right now to get into a Maserati is very available. Putting aside all the previous posts of mine, I love the styling. I love the car in many ways. Would I buy it new, more than likely not considering the amount of issues they have. But buying a good one cheap, I can't pass up :) and at less than 2/3's the MSRP, very attractive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don’t agree to assume that a used Ghibli is an abused Ghibli so spend $50,000 more on a new one. I would almost say it’s the opposite. It’s the exception that a used Ghibli is abused to the point it’s going to be a problem. A certified 2 year old Ghibli coming off lease in the US has been combed over to be worthy of the CPO badge, not to mention, Likely has 3 years left on the warranty so very little risk.

In the US I’d argue that most Ghibli owners buying new are leasing and they don’t fit the profile of car beaters. Every time I see a white Ghibli there’s a chick driving it.

Rule of thumb- lease new and pay only for the depreciation. Buy used 2-3 years old and save the depreciation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Then why is it that each board or blog that you read is about how bad the Maseratis are and that they are a money pit. That is a general statement and theme everywhere.
Since we are all presumably Maserati owners here, we agree that the cars are well built, are fast and demand “to be driven” and thus come with a cost of fair amount of “lot of wear and tear”. I live in Maryland and even in the DC area here I rarely see one on the road so I’m not sure where “chicks driving” come from:)
In any event, it’s up to an individual buyer to make a decision to buy whatever suits them but I would not buy a used one and with an experience of putting 35k miles on one. Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
We can agree to disagree. I’ll just say this, I love this car and I have only been an owner for two months. But, I have leased many $90k cars new and not that any car is “worth” that price, but I can say that the Ghibli really isn’t worth $85k new. It’s a nice car, especially for $38k. Lastly, I agree that I rarely see one in the road, but when I do, I don’t see many beater profiles driving them. So yeah, a blanket statement that a used one is an abused one is a stretch for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enjoy! I’m going to replace mine with an R8 this year as it’s time to get into supercar! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed mine for 3 years and it should have about 45k miles by the time I replace it and I’ve enjoyed every single mile of it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Enjoy! I’m going to replace mine with an R8 this year as it’s time to get into supercar! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed mine for 3 years and it should have about 45k miles by the time I replace it and I’ve enjoyed every single mile of it!
Yeah, but are you buying the R8 new or used because you know, those super cars get beat on

21 - 32 of 32 Posts