Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Radio Not Working

62K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  CatmanV2 
#1 ·
Hi is anyone having issues with the radio? For the 3rd time, my car radio will not work, it shows its on i tried fm, sat, cd nothing worked, but it would show on the screen that it was on and volume would go up in number, bu NO SOUND!!! :( the weirdest part is on the way home for the last 2 days it works fine.... It looks like its the radio amp, becasue not even sound for the phone blue tooth or parking sensors would work..

#3 ·
Hi AGMIA,

I have a 2014 Q4 S that has the same issue. There are sound about 50% of the time when I start the car, and the other 50%, I hear nothing from the radio, CD player or phone, but the climate control works and all other controls are fine. My dealer in Charlotte, NC says it is the 'amplifier' and has ordered a new one from Italy. I don't know what an amplifier is, but it sounded like my dealer knew this righ-away without even seeing the car (we talked over the phone). So, you can ask your dealer if they know if this is the issue in your car also...

#4 ·
In talking with my dealer today about the issues I am having with satellite radio drop outs, he said that the amp is actually a Bowers & Wilkins amp. I had no idea they made amps - I thought just speakers? Apparently all 3 versions of the sound system are OEM from B&W. Anyway, I'm getting a new amp/head unit because of the satellite issue. The dealer said they have already replaced one other customers so apparently there are known problems with the amps. He also said they would "reseat" and seal the subwoofer speaker so hopefully that will improve the sound quality. Honestly if I were B&W, I would not want my name associated with the current quality of the sound in the car. My kid's boom box sounds better than this!

#6 ·
your dealer is way off base with the satellite fix... are you sure thats what they are going to do? Its an antenna issue not a head unit or amp issue. On mine they just needed to replace the antenna with a different one and the problem is gone. I also had that subwoofer fix performed on my car it makes it a little better but not much. The problem with the sub and the entire system is its just junk. How they could of put such sub-par product in this car is embarrassing.

#7 ·
The problem with the sub and the entire system is its just junk. How they could of put such sub-par product in this car is embarrassing.
It's one of the cost cutting measures to keep the price lower. Either you accept that if you want the low price or you believe Maserati should properly outfit the ghibli and raise the price accordingly. I'm of the latter camp.

#11 ·
Satellite Radio Fix

Heard from my service advisor today that there is a fix expected to be out in early March.

I would suggest that anyone who is experiencing the satellite dropping should contact their service advisor so that they can be informed when the fix is available.

I will post when I have more information.

For those who have yet to take delivery or have yet to decide to purchase, I would take comfort that the dealerships (at least Maserati of Washington) are working very hard to satisfy their customers.

#15 ·
Sound Still Mysteriously Disappears

This thread started with the problem of "sound" not coming on. From anything on start up. No radio, no auxiliary, no sound from parking warning system, phone, etc. If the car were turned off and sat a while, usually 3-5 minutes after complete shut down, everything worked as normal. Dealer checked software update of the amp--it had been updated--, a connector beneath the driver's floor mat that can be corrupted with moisture (a terrible place for same), and a connector in the pillar to no avail. After dealer problem solving attempts, I'm to keep track of circumstances. In 2 weeks, 4 events, 3 starting up from satellite radio on, 1 from iPod being on. Whether starting from back up or moving forward, can't identify pattern. Thoughts?

#16 ·
This happened to me today for the first time. I've been having a different issue with my audio prior to today. What's been happening to me, is I start the car and the volume is at max. I try and turn it down, but as fast as I turn it down the car tries to increase the volume. Usually if I restart the car it will stop. But, today I had the no audio issue. Tried restarting the car half a dozen times, but to no avail. I wasn't able to let the car sit for any length of time because I had to get to work. Hopefully there is a software update or something soon to fix these issues.

I've searched a lot about the UConnect system in other cars and there have been similar issues that seemed to have been fixed by software updates. Fingers crossed.

#18 ·
This happened to me today for the first time. I've been having a different issue with my audio prior to today. What's been happening to me, is I start the car and the volume is at max. I try and turn it down, but as fast as I turn it down the car tries to increase the volume. Usually if I restart the car it will stop.
This sounds like a sticky volume switch. Check the rockers on the back of the steering wheel to see if they are stuck in an up or down position. I had a similar thing happen to me on a radio I was installing in one of the previous cars. When I put the unit in, I accidentally pushed on a button which was left in a stuck position. It was relatively simple to loosen it again.

#17 ·
Did this work? I've had my Ghibli for a couple months and have been complaining to my local dealer about this ongoing issue. Apparently he was not aware of any issues and wasn't sure what the problem was. I finally brought it in for a service and they told me they ordered a new amp and it would be installed in the morning. Fully aware of the issue. Did it solve your problem?

#19 ·
sound system

I have read all the threads and can say a number of things on point. 1) I have owned B&W at home and it is superb. I would not want my name associated with Maserati either. It sounds awful in this car. 2) I have driven Mercedes for 15 years, and the Harmon Kardon blows this system out of the water. I have the Ghibli SQ4 and the MB CLS 550. The CLS is hands down the best sound system. The sound is rich and full, and the bass is second to none. The Ghibli sounds like the trunk is coming loose with all the rattling. I had the dealer add a dynamat to the rear shelf, and it helped a little (I stress a little). 3) The worst part is the sound when I have a call on bluetooth. I have to turn the volume so low to avoid the crackling that I cannot hear the caller. Again, I never had an issue with MB, including the after market systems I added on the earlier models. 4) About 80% of the time, the sound system shows it is working, but it is not. 5) About 90% of the time the drivers window does not roll up.

6) And this is my main point, the dealer says it needs a software update. They have had my car more in the 4 months I have owned it than I have eaten dinner. Nothing they do fixes anything. That being said, I love this car, the way it drives, and the looks it gets.

On a final note to the person who said he/she would vote to have the price raised: the B&W option was a lot extra! When I paid for this with MB, I got what I paid for.

#20 · (Edited)
They have had my car more in the 4 months I have owned it than I have eaten dinner. Nothing they do fixes anything. That being said, I love this car, the way it drives, and the looks it gets.
We are in the same boat. I purchased my car on April 30th and LOVE the car, as well. However, today marks the 14th day that I have been without it..... My frustration is starting to become permanent.

#22 ·
We are in the same boat. I purchased my car on April 30th and LOVE the car, as well. However, today marks the 14th day that I have been without it..... My frustration is starting to become permanent.

I had the same issue. My dealer said it was a faulty amp and ordered a new one. They replaced it and I have not had the same issue again. May want to have them take a look.

#23 ·
Soundproblem on Maserati Ghibli 2015 SQ4

I have exactly the same problem as described in the first post of this thread.

I am set to have the problem fixed at the Maserati Dealership in 2 weeks.
They said that it was rather rare on the B&W speaker system and that a software update of the amplifier should fix it.

I was reading that a full replacement of the amplifier fixed the problem.

Did any of you got this issue fixed by a simple software upgrade?
Any other solutions that had been applied and that solved the issue.

Thanks.

#26 ·
I have exactly the same problem as described in the first post of this thread.

I am set to have the problem fixed at the Maserati Dealership in 2 weeks.
They said that it was rather rare on the B&W speaker system and that a software update of the amplifier should fix it.

I was reading that a full replacement of the amplifier fixed the problem.

Did any of you got this issue fixed by a simple software upgrade?
Any other solutions that had been applied and that solved the issue.

Thanks.
Had same problem all sound was off but system looked like it was working. Software did not fix mine. They replaced the amp and that worked.

#25 ·
Thank you ver much for your feedback toshy.

The Maserati dealer told me that they are planing to make a software update of the amplifier only.

While reading in the forum, it seems like this particular problem has not yet been solved by simply updating the software of the amplifier.

If this particular problem has been solved by a software update, any feedback would be great.
(Or any other / additional "fixes" that solved this annoying issue)

#27 ·
i have had all the same issues no radio sound, phone connects to call no sound head unit shows call in progress, phone will not connect to car through USB port, screen freezes
my dealer has updated software, changed amplifier, changed the head unit had to wait 4weeks for head unit,
the latest one changed the USB port about 6 weeks ago and Maserati instructed them to put new software update that had not been released yet to see if it cured issue.
no problems till yesterday got in plugged in phone no connection again got out locked car up left couple minutes got back in plugged phone in again everything worked.
this has been going on since last October. at the beginning they blamed my i phone for everything. i had i phone 6 and now the i phone 7+ no change in faults.
car as probably been off road about 7 weeks altogether over the year .
should cheer them next Thursday when it goes for first service and i report fault again.
when you push start button its like the computer has a glitch and does not activate full system .
P.S cannot fault dealer once he got over ITS YOUR PHONE and realised i wasn't going away.
i think as stated above its just a rubbish system

#29 ·
Going to bring this topic back up! :)

I've changed the amp, I've pulled out the stereo and checked all cables. I've updated the software to the latest 'D7' version. Checked all the fuses and still no sound!!!

I can't think what else could be wrong? Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.