Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestion in order to raise the front of my car about half or full inch. I can always hear some noise when hitting an asphalt hole or street bumps. I have looked down the car and the plastic undercover has only a small scratch but even my garage driveway has a small curb that I have to hit very slowly every time.
Do you guys know if there is any way to raise the springs or doing something to gain that inch?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think it's those two plastic panels in front of the wheels that scrape on the ground. I find that you can sometimes hear them scratching when you go over speed bumps. It's a cringe worthy noise though and I wince whenever I hear it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, I had the same issue and I told the Maserati dealer when I brought it for service. They advised me that those are front mud flaps and can be cut off hence there is no serious function they preform. I used to scuff every speed bump, driveway and pot hole so I cut them off its much better now. Occasionally I do still scuff the bottom of the car on bulgier speed bump. To my knowledge the SQ4 is a couple of hundred pounds heavier then the base model Ghibli, so the front does sit a bit lower. When I had a lonner base Ghilbi it never bottomed out on the usual bumps and driveways that my SQ4 used to bottom out on, even with its factory front mudflaps still on the car. As far as raising the car I asked them about that also they told me not at the moment. Ask your dealer maybe you will have better luck on them raising the car, if there is a solution please share.

Good Luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think it's those two plastic panels in front of the wheels that scrape on the ground. I find that you can sometimes hear them scratching when you go over speed bumps. It's a cringe worthy noise though and I wince whenever I hear it.
Only europeans will have this problem since in the US they dont have speed bumps, luckers :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only europeans will have this problem since in the US they dont have speed bumps, luckers :)
Wrong! We have them too.

FoxBeat

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not as common as in Europe though. you find them mostly in some residential areas. All regulated by local laws or community requests.

FoxBeat

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would second what FoxBeat just said. 100% correct.

Not as common as in Europe though. you find them mostly in some residential areas. All regulated by local laws or community requests.

FoxBeat

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
I actually would rather hear the front flaps scrapping the ground than hear the underside of the car scrape. At least it is providing an early warning. When I bought the car with 20" wheels they wanted to mound an "dealer extra" mounted skid plate under the car for added protection ... I declined.

I'm surprised a dealer would say the flaps have little to no function. Maserati must have had a rationale to add ... since they add cost. I have them on another car and they minimize water and dirt from getting into the engine compartment.

I have speed bumps all around me ... I just go super slow and at an angle if necessary.

Reactions: Wrecked Em

·
Registered
666 Posts
they are mud flaps. they prevent mud, dirt, rocks from hitting inside the wheel well. Especially we have those felt feeling material in the wheel well. Better to keep that. I live in Chicago. There are definitely some speed bumps in the residential streets. I have heard the scrapping sound several times already. But for sure it is not hitting the bottom of the bumper. Another way to avoid it is to cross those bumps and drive diagonally. That helps a little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When encountering a speed bump (or a steep driveway) try turning the wheel a little bit as you first touch it so that you're at about a 30-45 degree angle. That will help avoid your scraping the bottom of the front end in many situations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi BeerGuy, I am actually interested in that dealer extra skid plate under the car. Can you post some more info, like which deler offer this and how much they asked for it. I have a steep drive way. When the dealer test drove the car on my driveway, the underside did scrap the pavement. So I am thinking of some sort of a skid plate for protection. I did not take delivery of my 2014 because of timing. But I am waiting to order my 2015. Thanks

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Hi BeerGuy, I am actually interested in that dealer extra skid plate under the car. Can you post some more info, like which deler offer this and how much they asked for it. I have a steep drive way. When the dealer test drove the car on my driveway, the underside did scrap the pavement. So I am thinking of some sort of a skid plate for protection. I did not take delivery of my 2014 because of timing. But I am waiting to order my 2015. Thanks
Maserati of Bergen County, NJ had it on their dealer "add-on" list when you sit with the finance guy to complete the sale.

I don't recall the exact price, but they were pricey somewhere in the $750-1000 range installed (and all the prices on that dealer sheet where negotiable). I also saw on another forum that Auto Gallery in Calabasas (California Maserati dealer) installed them a few years ago on a Maserati GT-S for $550.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maserati of Bergen County, NJ had it on their dealer "add-on" list when you sit with the finance guy to complete the sale.

I don't recall the exact price, but they were pricey somewhere in the $750-1000 range installed (and all the prices on that dealer sheet where negotiable). I also saw on another forum that Auto Gallery in Calabasas (California Maserati dealer) installed them a few years ago on a Maserati GT-S for $550.
The skid plate is used to protect the mufflers and whatever is exposed under the body, right?
But what does it have to do with going over speed bump and hitting the front bumper or the mud flaps?

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
The skid plate is used to protect the mufflers and whatever is exposed under the body, right?
But what does it have to do with going over speed bump and hitting the front bumper or the mud flaps?
It doesn't address the flaps in front scrapping. It addresses (protects) the underside in the engine compartment area and Poulsbo's question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts