Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I just got my Ghibli here in Dubai. I have had it for a week and I have a major issue. When I accelerate there is a rattling & massively irritating sound from somewhere it seems underneath the steering wheel deep inside towards the front of the car. It is so audible and irritating that it is completely spoiling the driving experience. I took it to Maserati and they said that this sound it there in every car and has something to do with a freakin turbo fan etc. They sent me back with the explanation that it is a feature of the car that cannot be fixed. To me that sounds total bull ****. Is anyone else having this issue. If it is there is every car then it is hard to imagine that people have not complained about it. If this sound is not fixed then I might just have to return the car, which will be a shame. Any guidance from Ghibli owners will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was having the same issue and was concerned. This is the explanation I got from the dealer.

'The paper sounding noise is a normal operation sound of this car. Being the car is turbocharged the noise comes from the Turbo Wastegate flap. Part of the turbo system. This is a fully operational piece of the engine assembly and is designed to make that noise from factory. You may also hear some “tapping” noise on acceleration, that is also a normal occurrence with this engine being a “direct injection” engine. Both a normal sounds this turbocharged engine will make.'

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man, thanks a lot for the massively quick reply. That is exactly what they told me. Are you living with that sound now? I will return the car if they don't fix it. It is just too annoying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes I am fine with the car. It was bothering me but after a reasonable explanation I am fine with it. Just think in your head that you're on a formula one track and it's a part of your race car. Lol!! My car is only 350 miles driven and 12 days old.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seems really strange then that the sound does not occur ALL the cars, only very few. Certainly did not occur in the 2014 demo I drove. Faisal - did you hear it in any of your test drives? If not, it begs the question above. Are your cars 2014's or 2015's? I have a 2015 on order for KSA delivery.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
Are you living with that sound now? I will return the car if they don't fix it. It is just too annoying.
Is it an S, or S Q4 model?
I have an S Q4 with a 12/13 build date and hardly notice that sound. I do have what I call the "turbo rattle" sound but seems to be common in the Ghibli's I've driven.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Joe
Every time some one complains of a sound or a rattle I immediately search for it in my car. I have not heard any rattle or "paper" flapping sound in my car's turbo. I have an SQ4 April 14 build date. My car sounds normal. I have 4605 miles. Maybe it needs to be broken in for a while.
Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Mine is not S, just the normal one. It is 10 days old and I have done about 900km. I don't recall this sound during the test runs. I am going back next week and will drive one of their test cars to see if its there. Will keep you guys posted on the result. It is indeed strange that some cars have it and others don't.

On a separate note - does anyone know if this forum is an "official" Maser forum or just created randomly by someone. I see the use of the logo in the address bar so just wondering whats the deal here.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is no official connection that I am aware of. However, we do have an official Maserati NA rep as a member. BTW I have no sound like that in my car I have a S with a build date of 2/14. There are many on this site with some technical expertise who might be able to add commentary. IMO there should not be a rattle so loud as to be annoying not in a car of this caliber. Do not just take dealers word unfortunately there is a wide range of expertise and level of caring to provide service. Bump it up to Maserati Italy if you are not satisfied. Good luck and keep us apprised of your issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is a MY14 S, and I do not recognise the sound your are describing in my car. I do recognise the light tapping sound at idle from the injectors which the dealer also describes which has been confirmed as normal by my long-standing Maserati dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the annoying rattle sound when i'm accelerating and rpm is somewhere in the 1500-3000 range. It is SUPER annoying and I have not gotten used to it (have 1200 miles right now). The dealership told me it was normal....same bs about turbos.....but I will bring it up again whenever I have to take the car back for maintenance. I hope someone can find a solution because it drives me crazy!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the sound, too. I was also told it is normal. Came from either the turbo flap or exhaust flap. I can't remember. So I learned to live with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I didn't think I had it, but then I realized I just wasn't noticing it. I'd describe it as more of a light fluttering sound coming out of the left air vent. I haven't bothered to look into it, but I'd guess some sound insulation might help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks, I have a 2014 SQ4 and I've been complaining about this exact same description of sound coming from deep under or next to my steering. Used to be on low revs but now all the time. I don't like the sound at all. My dealer in northern virginia has given me the exact same response. I just don't believe the answer as it should be in every car if it were "normal"!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the turbo wastegate noise too, but now with 8k+ miles on the car I hardly notice it. Not sure if it's gone away, or I just tune it out now. All our Ghiblis have it, but to varying degrees - at least what my dealer says.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have driven my S a lot today and have been listening out for the sound described. And I cannot hear anything remotely like the sound described by some others. Am I the only one that doesn't have this sound?

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Yes there is a slight paper flicker rattle noise upon acceleration in the 2500-3500 rpm range. You prob hear it mostly when the car is manually being shifted.

It is def a noticeable sound and gives the car a very poor impression.

To say it's "normal" turbo noise is total BS. Many cars have turbo, many cars have super chargers, yet NONE make that sound or any sound for that matter. To me this is yet another result of the cheap line of "part sharing" with chrysler.

I drove a jaguar F type R the other day. The car was a true beast, 565hp stock, the exhaust on the jag makes the Maserati sound like a matchbox toy car, it's very loud and very mature sound. I'm not a jag fan, but this car is truly a beast. You won't find a faster, more powerful stock car for $100k.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have driven my S a lot today and have been listening out for the sound described. And I cannot hear anything remotely like the sound described by some others. Am I the only one that doesn't have this sound?
I have not heard it either and I have driven in ICE regular drive and of course Sports Manual!! So if some have it and some do not but they are saying all do.............does not sound good to me..................especially when we are dealing with internal engine parts...................However, the entire engine is made by Ferrari and does not have Chrysler parts as far as I am aware..............could it be one of those things that bothers some more that others?

·
Registered
480 Posts
From my reading the only Chrysler engine part is the forged block. That is shipped to Italy. Everything else is put together and assembled in Marinello under Ferrari hands and eyes.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts