Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations / experiences on where and/or what to buy a reasonable quality set of wheels for Ghlibi Q4-S. I bought the Sottozero 3 winter tires from Maserati dealer on sale, but don't want to switch out tires twice a year. I've decided its a "pay me now or pay me later" situation so I will mount the winter tires on dedicated rims. I'm in PA ... so salt, anti-skid material and snow (and potholes) will abound during the winter season.

My searching found me at Tirerack ... Enkei Perfomance or Advanti wheels came up as cost effective options for winter.

Costco / Pepboys has Velox and FK Ethos wheels ... have to call Velox directly for my size. Although their website shows a new Maserati with the FK wheels.

Any other suggestions or input? I recognize all the lower cost wheels will be cast versus forged.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
so whats the story, when it comes to rain and snow, the factory tires are horrible? Can someone give me some details, as in horrible, meaning not safe to drive in? even in the rain?

·
Registered
852 Posts
rain should be ok but cold and snow the performance suck.....the compound used in performance tires gets hard under 40-45 degrees and then they just do not grip and just spin.....

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As Etodd indicates these ultra high performance summer tires just don't grip when cold. In fact Pirelli also warms of not being responsible for compound cracking in temperatures below 45F.

I bit the bullet today and ordered a close looking clone of the 20" Urano's to mount the Sotto3 winter tires for next season, (FK Ethos RT 6 rims in gunmetal + four TPMS units for the Ghibli).

Reactions: Wrecked Em

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bit the bullet today and ordered a close looking clone of the 20" Urano's to mount the Sotto3 winter tires for next season, (FK Ethos RT 6 rims in gunmetal + four TPMS units for the Ghibli).

I'd be interested in seeing a picture when you get them installed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would check what type of manufacturing on the wheel . Don't get cast wheels because they will only last one season if you live in an area like me ( Chicago ) where pot holes are dime a dozen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i was quoted $3900 today from my dealer for a winter tire package which includes labor and storage for 3 years. If I just bought the tires and took car of the swapping and storage myself, they can give the set of 4 for $1200.

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I paid $1450 for 4 Pirelli 20" Winter Sotto 3 ... that was high. I mounted on extra rims and will just change out each season, and find space in my garage to store, (in protective tirerack totes with felt inserts).

There is a promo Maserati is offering 50% off winter tires ... someone on this site was offered these same 4 tires for $800 mounted on factory rims! I really overpayed:mad:!!!

I've also seen a similar package like yours recently listed for $3295 on this forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts