Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had my Ghibli only two days now, it's everything I wanted it to be - I simply love it. I needed an all wheel drive, performance-oriented sports sedan that would live up to (if not exceed) my experience with previous Audi //S cars but also satisfy my need for something different. I'm an 'understated elegance' kind of guy and did not buy the car to be flashy or show off, but of course knew a certain amount of attention would be unavoidable. I didn't realize how many necks would snap around trying to get a glimpse of the car or how many fingers would point as I drove past; honestly, it's a little unnerving at times.

Thought I'd share one nice incident that happened last night. I was driving through my town after work and came to an intersection. A Ferrari California was crossing the other way, the driver spotted my car immediately and gave a big smile and thumbs up as he passed. Nice to receive that kind of recognition from a Ferrari owner despite only having the "low-end" Maserati. Clearly the marque is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Glad to hear ... and won't be the last thumbs up or drooling stare you'll receive!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
True that I get them everyday...........and this is by no means the low end Maserati........a certain level of income is required..............and after driving 1,500 miles the price may be the low end (if you call $95K low end) but the car IMO is not...............

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True that I get them everyday...........and this is by no means the low end Maserati........a certain level of income is required..............and after driving 1,500 miles the price may be the low end (if you call $95K low end) but the car IMO is not...............
I think you know that phrase was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I just thought it interesting that an F-car owner was all smiles and waves, however we read posts about hearing BMW/MB/other owners referring to the Ghibli as "low-end" or "entry level".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of attention it draws.

I bought the car because we love it, not to get attention.

We have four cars so if we are going somewhere I feel the Ghibli will attract too much attention, we drive another car that will blend in better.

That's not to say I mind when it gets the occasional head turn or comment. That's fine. I just don't want to constantly be the center of attention. That's not who I am.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was the one that got the "is that the low end Maserati?" comment from some jackass BMW owner. So Essfive was just adding his comment based off of that, and one other person hearing and posting the same thing. I think all of our bank accounts realize that this car is definitely not "low end". I have to say, it is worth every penny and should probably be 100K+. I just cant wait until I leave NYC in a month and move to the suburbs so I can drive it everyday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Actually I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of attention it draws.

I bought the car because we love it, not to get attention.

That's not to say I mind when it gets the occasional head turn or comment. That's fine. I just don't want to constantly be the center of attention. That's not who I am." - svelte

I glad I am not alone with this feeling. A little attention is nice, but seriously, when people are stopped behind me or hanging out their door taking pictures, well, that just freaks me out a bit.

I do feel a little better now that the windows are tinted. Plus the Bianco with tinted windows looks fantastic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thought I'd share one nice incident that happened last night. I was driving through my town after work and came to an intersection. A Ferrari California was crossing the other way, the driver spotted my car immediately and gave a big smile and thumbs up as he passed. Nice to receive that kind of recognition from a Ferrari owner despite only having the "low-end" Maserati. Clearly the marque is appreciated.
Well to be fair, he had the "low-end" Ferrari. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm with you guys…I'm definitely not liking all the attention the car gets. Every time I drive the car people are looking, taking pics, etc. The worse part is there is definitely some bad attention I get. Last night picking up sushi some guy walked by with his wife and gave me a scowl look and was shaking his head. Last weekend a kid delivering Jimmy Johns subs pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and started yelling at me "F u and your Maserati". If definitely brings some jealous people out of the wood work in a bad way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
WOW glad I have not encountered that!! But I worked very very hard to get mine no help from anyone...........so IMO to **** with them all if they cannot be happy that is too bad and they will have a very unhappy life............

·
Registered
1 Posts
Struck a nerve

This thread struck a nerve with me and I couldn't understand why. Then it hit me.
When I was ten my parents bought an Airstream trailer. It was probably the smallest they made, but it was an Airstream - a life's dream realized for my Dad.
We were headed down to Cape May for the weekend pulling the trailer with our Plymouth wagon. We stopped for gas on the Turnpike and my Dad and I got out for the fill-up to check our lines and mirrors. We topped-off our tank and paid the attendant when a big GMC truck pulling a much-bigger Airstream pulled up next to us at the pump.
"I see you got the cheap one!" barked the driver pulling the other Airstream. My father looked at the man's wife in the truck then at the jamoke who made the wisecrack and said "well that's high praise coming from such an expert on cheap".
Silence.
I remember climbing in the backseat, watching the guy's face turn beet-red and his wife's mouth agape as we drove off.
Mom asked what we were talking about with them. Dad said, "oh, nothing".

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm with you guys…I'm definitely not liking all the attention the car gets. Every time I drive the car people are looking, taking pics, etc. The worse part is there is definitely some bad attention I get. Last night picking up sushi some guy walked by with his wife and gave me a scowl look and was shaking his head. Last weekend a kid delivering Jimmy Johns subs pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and started yelling at me "F u and your Maserati". If definitely brings some jealous people out of the wood work in a bad way.
Admit it u prolly passed the guy at full throttle :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cars gets a lot of attention so get used to it. Mostly good attention so many people are just curious about the new maserati. Ohh and tint your windows anderson, it helps

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good for you Dad! great comeback............sometimes you just have to ignore the noise.......as is usually comes from an unreliable source..........either someone who is angry at life or has to overcompensate...........someone who owns the lowest price RR and Bentley but they are not viewed that way......and neither should Maserati.....bottom line be comfortable with yourself and what your have accomplished and what you want........ there will always be someone with more or bigger or better.......success is how you define it not others..............and their are much more important things in life that stuff.............family, friends and other people in general.........when it is time to leave this earth they are not going to say what a great accountant or businessman you were...........they are going to say what a great father, husband, friend, mentor, how charitable, giving, helpful, kind............yes the nice things are wonderful but not what life is about...........like having a great Dad like you had........and you obviously raised a wonderful person..............I have attached a pic of my grandson..........that is what life is about.............but I still love my Maserati as well just not as much as my family!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a hater story to share as well, not in a Maserati but in a Lexus I used to have, it brought attention because Lexus is a pretty rare site in Europe. A guy driving a run of the mill hatchback at a stoplight said:

If I had that kind of money, I'd never buy a Lexus.

My reply: Don't worry, you never will. :D

That shut him up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed whole heartedly the car draws a lot of attention. I had an experience just the other day at the supermarket. Coming out I noticed several people milling around the car. When I approached I was asked if ok to take a couple pictures. Have also noticed a lot of attention while driving. I wasn't planning on it but decided to tint the windows. Found it definitely helps with privacy although the attention is always still there.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a hater story to share as well, not in a Maserati but in a Lexus I used to have, it brought attention because Lexus is a pretty rare site in Europe. A guy driving a run of the mill hatchback at a stoplight said:

If I had that kind of money, I'd never buy a Lexus.

My reply: Don't worry, you never will. :D

That shut him up.
.. Reminds me of a joke I heard years ago explaining the difference between a European mind-set and an American mind-set:

An American riding on a bus sees a new Ghibli S Q4 smiles and thinks to himself, "Someday, I'll have one of those."

A European riding on a bus sees a new Ghibli S Q4 smiles and thinks to himself, "Someday, you'll be the one riding a bus."

(No offense intended here guys :))

·
Registered
95 Posts
.. Reminds me of a joke I heard years ago explaining the difference between a European mind-set and an American mind-set:

An American riding on a bus sees a new Ghibli S Q4 smiles and thinks to himself, "Someday, I'll have one of those."

A European riding on a bus sees a new Ghibli S Q4 smiles and thinks to himself, "Someday, you'll be the one riding a bus."

(No offense intended here guys :))
You have no idea how much truth is in that joke, in these times we are living in today...

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a European living in North America (Canada), when I see people driving Ferrari or Maserati in the city traffic, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, cruising in popular areas to show off, I think to myself "what a waste of technology". I get even more mad when I see these cars being driven at or below speed limit on the hwy. I once passed an idiot driving a 308 GTS (it was 1994) in a Pontiac Firefly; Had I been Ferrari, I would have confiscated the car for 'defamation'. In Italy, if you have a fast car, you are expected to drive it fast; that is the point. You are also expected to be a skilled driver. Having a fast car is more than a demonstration of your economic status, it is a reflection of your interest in fast cars and of your ability (or perception thereof) as a driver. Moreover, those lucky enough to own such cars have a moral duty to entertain us who can only dream of them, offering us a glimpse - better a very sonorous one - of what it's like to drive one. Meanwhile, I will keep driving my 500 (which is a lot of fun)as if it were one of its more prestigious Ferrari or Maserati cousins

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Tridente: I'm actually very surprised that over the last year I have been to Italy (Rome, Naples, and Venice), Germany and Switzerland and saw no Maserati's. Maybe they come out at night, but was very surprised ... especially around Rome. Ton of BMW, Mercedes and Fiats. I was also amazed at the number of Lamborghini's driving around the lake Geneva area in snow/sleet!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts