Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Just came across a review of the brand new MY 2018 Ghibli by Driving magazine, and thought it might be good to share it here:

First Drive: 2018 Maserati Ghibli | Driving

Overall, it's quite positive (it seems that their major complaint is not really specifric to MY 2018 and is rear seats room, which they see as no better than in a BMW 3er, though the Ghibli is larger overall).

Of particular interest is their comments on the new, electric power steering, in the quote I reproduce below. As a future owner of a MY Ghibli SQ4, that's a point I 'm wondering about since the model I test-drove before making up my mind on buying the Ghibli was MY 2017, with hydraulic steering and, based on my own experience of electric power steering on my current and previous BMWs, let's say I had not been totally convinced by EPS (though I know it's mandatory given new ADAS systems). It still remains that I will have to see (and feel) for myself, but Driving's comment on Maserati's implementation of that system is rather comforting so far:

More impressive perhaps is the Ghibli’s implementation of electric power steering. Like so many manufacturers, Maserati is incorporating electronically assisted power steering (EPS) as a fuel conserving technology. Unlike other marques, however, Maserati’s rendition doesn’t turn the Ghibli into a numb-steering Camry. Indeed, for the first time in my evaluations, I found a computerized steering system superior to the traditional hydraulic boosted variety. Weighting is ideal, the response impressively direct and, even the feedback, though a little diminished from the purely mechanical system, more than adequate. Combined with extremely well calibrated suspension, the Ghibli attacks the serpentine roads — we tested the Maser on some of the same roads that made up the famed Monte Carlo rally — like few other sports sedans. Indeed, if the Ghibli isn’t quite as spry as a BMW M3, it is certainly far ahead of that company’s 335. A perfect 50/50 front-to-rear weight distribution — which BMW also brags about — doesn’t hurt things, either.

It's funny that they compare in several instances the Ghibli to a BMW 3er, where I would see it rather compared to a 5er, but anyway. It's rather good (3ers are by all means more spry, precisely, than 5ers) and possibly bad (rear seats room, precisely, though I'm a bit surprised by that). Not to mention price point and general "luxury feel", which to me definitely do not compare between a Ghibli and a 3er.

It's only one review by a magazine I'm not so familiar with, but maybe it will be useful to others here.

Best,
alb

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
31 Posts
Thanks for sharing the article. Back in 2005 I test drove a 2003 335 but found the rear seats badly lacking. I ended up with a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T MT6 which was the second nicest car I ever owned (the Maserati has taken first place) and I happily drove it in all kinds of conditions, including several blizzards, for 13 years and 236k miles. I am still waiting for my first road trip with the Ghibli due to this **** C-19 and hope to travel MI to NY/CT this summer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts