Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of rumors of poor reliability, I took my Maserati (16k miles) on a long road trip from MI to CA and back. I had no problems at all with drivetrain or electronics. The only issues were a pothole damaging a rear tire sidewall (replacement on order) and the black dashboard covering started to peel away from the windshield due to heat (this had just started after a month parked outside in CT in the spring, but worsened as I drove through the desert; warranty claim submitted). Overall it was a rock solid, and occasionally very fast, drive and extremely enjoyable. The SQ4 is a remarkable luxury sports touring machine.

My southwest route took me through IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ (109 F), and into central CA. The return was northeast through NV, UT, ID, WY, MT, SD, MN, WI, IL, and IN. Overall I calculated 25.6 mpg at speeds of 70-75 on the way out and 70-85 on the way back. Bonus drive on historic Route 66 (MO/KS) and stops at the Cadillac Ranch (TX), Meteor Crater (AZ), Yellowstone (WY), and the Little Bighorn Battlefield (MT). I saw one other Ghibli around Riverside CA and passed another in Yellowstone. Lots of German "luxury" on the road. Every gas stop was a conversation with a stranger who admired the Ghibli. She now has almost 22k and will be going in for our second oil change this year in a few weeks.

BTW, at the risk of insulting members, the worst f'in drivers were in IL on the I-294.

Sky Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Wheel Snowman Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Sky Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Cloud

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
In spite of rumors of poor reliability, I took my Maserati (16k miles) on a long road trip from MI to CA and back. I had no problems at all with drivetrain or electronics. The only issues were a pothole damaging a rear tire sidewall (replacement on order) and the black dashboard covering started to peel away from the windshield due to heat (this had just started after a month parked outside in CT in the spring, but worsened as I drove through the desert; warranty claim submitted). Overall it was a rock solid, and occasionally very fast, drive and extremely enjoyable. The SQ4 is a remarkable luxury sports touring machine.

My southwest route took me through IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ (109 F), and into central CA. The return was northeast through NV, UT, ID, WY, MT, SD, MN, WI, IL, and IN. Overall I calculated 25.6 mpg at speeds of 70-75 on the way out and 70-85 on the way back. Bonus drive on historic Route 66 (MO/KS) and stops at the Cadillac Ranch (TX), Meteor Crater (AZ), Yellowstone (WY), and the Little Bighorn Battlefield (MT). I saw one other Ghibli around Riverside CA and passed another in Yellowstone. Lots of German "luxury" on the road. Every gas stop was a conversation with a stranger who admired the Ghibli. She now has almost 22k and will be going in for our second oil change this year in a few weeks.

BTW, at the risk of insulting members, the worst f'in drivers were in IL on the I-294.

View attachment 21791 View attachment 21792 View attachment 21793
Wow that's amazing love the story with the pictures

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! And glad to hear you were problem-free (less than one month left on my 2017 warranty). Btw, if you're looking for bad drivers you should visit the Boston area where I live. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice, how many days on the road?

I plan on doing similar in the coming years, though I am looking at possibly purchasing something even less reliable then the Ghibli (have never had a problem with mine,2016, in 2.5 years).

My dad was doing this annually (sometimes in his '59 Cadi Convertible) for many years. I wish that I could have joined him but he was spending 3 weeks on the road and I didn't have that kind of time off.

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 21791 View attachment 21792 View attachment 21793
Very nice! I've got a '17 SQ4 with 36K miles and the only issue I've had was a simple purge valve. I really love it!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was gone 12 days. Five days out and the same back, two days in CA. I chunked the trip into ~500 mile segments or less so some sightseeing could be squeezed in. Longest leg was Billings MT to Sioux Falls SD at 660 miles. Nice to have the 80 mph speed limit and I always go ~10% over. It helps to be retired. I made three trips MI-CT this spring and one MI-SC last fall, so it is pretty much all highway miles. Front tires are original and show little wear. I had to replace the rears: once due to a sidewall nail; once because the dealer said the older tire had worn too much and the tread difference could damage the diffy; and after this trip because I hit a pot hole and incurred a sidewall bulge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts