Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What are my fellow members thoughts on 'running in' ?
Have you ?
Have you not ?
I'm interested to find out that you have done versus what you have been told to do :)
I currently drive a C63 Mercedes (new Ghibli arriving September 1st) and was told by Mercedes mechanics when I picked it up "do not (under any circumstances) exceed 1500 rpm for the first 1000 miles"
Having never owned a Maserati before I was keen to gain some understanding of this procedure.
Any comments appreciated !

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know the answer as i don't get mine until next month.

But I thought that with the bench testing of new cars these days, the amount of running in was unnecessary, or at least only negligible?

On tyres, i was advised on previous new cars I have owned - Alfas not Maseratis - that you should take it steady for the first 200 miles.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was told not to worry about break in and I have not and have driven the care in sports manual except no read lining. The manual states no more than 4K RPM until warmup and no more than 5K RPM after that for 600 miles (see page 194 of your Owners Manual). My understanding is that you do NOT want to drive steady and have lots of speed change including acceleration which assists in the settling process. We must have a few expert members who can weigh in on this as I am far from an expert.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dealer said there was "no" break-in period for this car other than not leaving it in cruise control at the same RPM for too long during the early weeks of ownership. RPM variations seemed more important than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts