Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

What do you think? It seems awkward that he complained about the steering because other reviews have been very positive. Perhaps the RWD feels different?
Reviews of the Ghibli seem to be very contradictory for some reason...

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is the first real UK biased review that I have seen on a petrol Ghibli but still, its very informative.
I have to agree with his comments on the weight of the steering, when I first test drove the diesel Ghibli a couple of months ago (we don't have any petrol demos yet in the UK) I was staggered how 'strange' and light the steering felt... admittedly, my current car is a C63 Mercedes which is very direct when the wheel is turned, I hope its something that I just need to get used to.
As my friend says above, the comments so far for the steering have been generally positive so it is surprising the tester was so critical.
Maybe its because we only have the rear wheel drive models in the UK (no 4 wheel drive for us :-()
The other observations he made were valid but I think we all know what we are getting into when we go for an Italian brand (with albeit American parents)
I want to be different, I am hoping that my Ghibli (when it arrives in September) it will allow me to be this and separate me from the normal crowd in their Germanic expresses.

·
Registered
111 Posts
UK Ghibli - just to point out, I tested the Ghibli S, i.e. petrol version, as well as the diesel.

HR Owen certainly have one. The 335 BHP petrol should be around for test driving soon.

I ordered the diesel on 31 January and it's due for delivery this month - awaiting the actual date now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Essexmaserfan - thanks for this, apparently the demo petrol will be making it's way north at the end of this month :)
Enjoy your new purchase when it arrives :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think the end of the review states it all.......I own a Maserati with a Ferrari built engine......but the steering is not as bad as he states but he is not driving the AWD which I believe increases handling significantly especially when riding the twistys. I cannot argue about the back seat but it is adequate for four. Bottom line is no car is perfect and I still believe on balance the Ghibli is a home run and will bring Maserati to those of us for whom it was only a boyhood dream..................make your own decision and consider how "terrible" some of the downsides really are..........and you will buy one.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm, the Ghibli, hails from the current Italian parent of the Group rather than the other way around. Fiat owns Chrysler - hard as that may be to believe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well considering Ghibli reviews contradict each other so much, could we assume there is some sort of bias against Maserati or perhaps certain publications want to give them bad press because the competition is afraid?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Like audiophiles I think reviewers highten flaws unnecesaary or put differently they are perfectionists. Which is good and bad.....as a buyer you want to know the flaws........but flaws are received by each buyer differently.........so in the end like all major decisions in life you have to make it on your own.........Reviewers that totally trash the car and are in the minority can be ignored IMO......a good analogy would be an outlyer is statistics.....best to ignore them....C&D and Pistionheads for example.....I think given all the reviews there is a list of "issues" that one should consider and based oh how you feel about them you make your decision.........Now for the other reviewers consistant themes will emerge on areas things they do not like like the base suspension bottoming out on very rough road..........some people have no problem with this or favor a ride more like a sports suspension........others want a sooother ride so buy skyhook as that option is smoother than the base suspension but less stiff than sport when engaged.........other issues you have to live with and those are the issues that in the end make the buy or not to buy decision...S vs Q4....everything in life is weighing advantages and disadvantages and selecting the disadvantagew you can life with.............for example if you really want all the tech, buy a BMW........if you really love to drive maybe the Maz is what you want.....if you really are not into power and just drive the fam around the S may be fine....in the end knowing what you want and getting it is one key to a happy life and takes a lifetime to figure out...........as for reviewers that may be influenced by the manufactrers.......hard to tell and that is why you test drive the car and decide for yourself based on what you need from the product..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts