Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I know very little about leases teach me some basics

I have never owned a car less than 8 years and have always paid cash and always new.

I think I would want to keep the Ghibli for longer than an lease would be for so my interest would to buy the car at the end of the lease.

I would guess the going interest rate to purchase would have a bearing on if a lease is better,not sure if I'll have enough this year to pay cash so I'm asking questions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
why not just finance it instead of leasing it if you plan on keeping it? Rates are pretty **** low, some places are under 2%.

·
Registered
112 Posts
financing will be a better deal in the long run. If you lease and then buyback you're going to paying over MSRP when you factor in payments and then buying back at residual, dealers always win on leases.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With all due respect, and this is just my opinion, but I had been thinking about a purchase over a lease, and decided that if I do this car, it will definitely be a lease (I am on the bubble between the Ghibli and the BMW 650i X). This is a new model, with an uncertain reliability and resale history (we know that the market for Masers generally is illiquid and inefficient, unlike for BMWs). So therefore, if you buy the Ghibli, and there is any chance that you may want to get rid of it in 4-5 years (never say never), your odds of getting killed on resale are probably higher than if you were in a BMW, mercedes etc. Accordingly, I have decided that if I do the Ghibli, I will lease, not buy (if I do the BMW, I might go the other way around because the odds of getting killed on resale are lower, I think).

·
Registered
103 Posts
With all due respect, and this is just my opinion, but I had been thinking about a purchase over a lease, and decided that if I do this car, it will definitely be a lease (I am on the bubble between the Ghibli and the BMW 650i X). This is a new model, with an uncertain reliability and resale history (we know that the market for Masers generally is illiquid and inefficient, unlike for BMWs). So therefore, if you buy the Ghibli, and there is any chance that you may want to get rid of it in 4-5 years (never say never), your odds of getting killed on resale are probably higher than if you were in a BMW, mercedes etc. Accordingly, I have decided that if I do the Ghibli, I will lease, not buy (if I do the BMW, I might go the other way around because the odds of getting killed on resale are lower, I think).
The only catch to that is that Leases on BMW's are so subsidized that you can lease a 650i which would MSRP for a lot more than an equivalent Ghibli for probably less than the Ghibli would. Coming from the world of artificially inflated residuals of BMW's, M-B's, etc. the Ghibli is very expensive to lease relative to its MSRP.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you have the cash, always go for cash.
Lease or finance, on both ways somebody else will make the money from you.
They give a lease for a very low interest rate which sounds cool. But what is the value at the end of the leasing contract? What does every km/mile over the deal cost? There are so much parameters in leasing where the leasing company will always be the lucky guy; also every bank.
I've you have the cash, go for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have the cash, always go for cash.
Lease or finance, on both ways somebody else will make the money from you.
They give a lease for a very low interest rate which sounds cool. But what is the value at the end of the leasing contract? What does every km/mile over the deal cost? There are so much parameters in leasing where the leasing company will always be the lucky guy; also every bank.
I've you have the cash, go for it.
Only other side to that is if you invest your money, where the potential upside you plan/hope/get far outweighs whatever extra "penalties" you incur from borrowing money. I think in these situations it just comes down to the person at hand (how they use the car, how much they use it, how long they intend to keep it, their financial situation and strategies, their lifestyle/job security, etc.).

However, on Ghibli's, compared to the Germans who subsidize the **** out of their comparably priced cars, the Leases just don't appear attractive, yet at least, but perhaps they'll get there. Buying seems to be more prudent on this car IF you can get a lot knocked off of the MSRP (I'm talking well over than even the $4-5K's that are being reported now) and IF it can show at least some sign of moderate/respectable depreciation this early in the game. I towards year end, when 2015 models roll in, things will be a lot clearer and deals will be better attainable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts