Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and read through a lot of very old threads here on SD card usage. I guess the early models supported only 32GB's and I haven't confirmed if my 2017 and up supports more?

But my question is, why would I want to load my iTunes library on this when I have my phone right next to it? Yes, I understand the phone is streamed or compressed, so is the advantage of going SD the ability to play uncompressed lost-less music? If so, is the sound quality remarkable?

·
Super Moderator
2,019 Posts
Not an exact answer to your question, but my experience.
I have the factory premium sound with 10dB boost, SD card with music and iPhone Bluetooth/direct setup. At least on my 2014, there is little difference in perceived sound quality. I keep the SD in the car for a backup and variety, but prefer to stream from my phone. In fact, I'm using Echo Auto with my iPhone and that works out good to stream Amazon Prime Music, Sirius XM, and others.
Maybe if I had a better system, (B&W or aftermarket JL Audio) it would be more noticeable. It doesn't help the exhaust drone is fairly loud at certain RPM's ... again part of MY14 being louder and having less acoustic insulation, (even though I added more dynamat).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the factory premium sound with 10dB boost, SD card with music and iPhone Bluetooth/direct setup. At least on my 2014, there is little difference in perceived sound quality. I keep the SD in the car for a backup and variety, but prefer to stream from my phone. In fact, I'm using Echo Auto with my iPhone and that works out good to stream Amazon Prime Music, Sirius XM, and others.
Maybe if I had a better system, (B&W or aftermarket JL Audio) it would be more noticeable. It doesn't help the exhaust drone is fairly loud at certain RPM's ... again part of MY14 being louder and having less acoustic insulation, (even though I added more dynamat).
Thank you. I did throw 3,000 songs on a card today and used a nice little app called MusicBee to make artists folders with songs in them. I had a giant data dump of all my MP3’s in Amazon cloud in messy folder schema. I haven’t bought a file in ages since streaming, so these are all my rips or Napster downloads over the last 20 years.

I’ll throw the card in and leave it. Maybe shuffle will surprise me with some stuff I hadn’t heard in a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thank you. I did throw 3,000 songs on a card today and used a nice little app called MusicBee to make artists folders with songs in them. I had a giant data dump of all my MP3’s in Amazon cloud in messy folder schema. I haven’t bought a file in ages since streaming, so these are all my rips or Napster downloads over the last 20 years.

I’ll throw the card in and leave it. Maybe shuffle will surprise me with some stuff I hadn’t heard in a while.
Sounds like my setup. I've tried using my iPhone to stream (Pandora, Spotify, etc) but I didn't like having to grab my phone to pick songs. I'm a little old school and like MP3s vs. DRM crap and being able to load music on to cards in my cars. It just works and I don't have to constantly handle my phone or plug/unplug all the time.

Shuffle can be interesting. Another fun one is playing all the songs you loaded in alphabetically by song name. That can be trippy if you have lots of genres.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey man, how big of a difference has Dynamat made?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like my setup. I've tried using my iPhone to stream (Pandora, Spotify, etc) but I didn't like having to grab my phone to pick songs. I'm a little old school and like MP3s vs. DRM crap and being able to load music on to cards in my cars. It just works and I don't have to constantly handle my phone or plug/unplug all the time.

Shuffle can be interesting. Another fun one is playing all the songs you loaded in alphabetically by song name. That can be trippy if you have lots of genres.
Thanks. I still haven’t popped the card in and tried it. I don’t use the Ghibli as my daily. I try it tonight.

Question for you in the interface. There is a folder for every artist and then within them all songs. (I skipped album). Can I shuffle the whole card? Or can I only shuffle within a folder, which would suck.

·
Super Moderator
2,019 Posts
Hey man, how big of a difference has Dynamat made?
Added the dynamat to reduce engine noise (front firewall), and rear shelf / doors to reduce noise while helping to improving sound. It did make a difference, but not like night and day. I would also add, the newer Ghibli's are better sound insulated than my 2014 with the added Dynamat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shuffle works for the whole card. As someone else mentioned, I like not having to mess with my phone. I use a 128 GB USB, I have a lot of music, I create folders for artists with greatest hits. I usually organize folders as artist\album, but ran into a 1024 folder limit for the Ghibli system.

Using the card, when you jump in the car the music starts up where you left of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts