Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Help. I am a Luddite when it comes to this. I am trying to download audio books onto a SD card.

I open iTunes on my Mac. I stick in a SD card (16GB) and drag and drop the books I want to the SD card. When I put the card in the car, it says no supported files.

The above would suggest you have to format the card, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also found wav and flac files do not work as well. mp3 does.

Disappointed....

Now I wonder if it is really worth the effort to upgrade the speakers and amp...
Did you try using a USB thumb drive instead of the SD card?
I am using a 128GB USB thumb drive for my music. No problems with mp3 files but I have not tried with flac, wav or apple lossless files.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some observations:

1) Formatting of the SD card on a Mac must be done with MS DOS FAT and not Mac OS X or the car will not recognize the card. Disk Utility accomplishes this just fine.
2) The Blue Harvest fix works well; also, in the App Store there is a $4.99 app that will transfer all the files and playlists from your iTunes library for you. However, the names of the song that will then show up during playback will include the track number prior to the song (e.g. 08 Gimme Shelter.) That drives me nuts. Therefore, after I transferred all 1350 of my files I had to go in and manually delete the track info from the file names (can anyone say OCD?). I didn't find that Mac app until afterwards, and I had no intention of renaming those files a second time.
3) An interesting point is that during playback, the last few seconds of tracks on the iPod will be cut off, but this does NOT happen on the SD card.
4) I think the sound quality off the SD card exceeds (albeit slightly) the iPod, it goes from barely adequate to adequate. However, I find that if the volume is cranked up the sound quality is not that bad.
5) The track time bar has a slider which can be used to advance the music when played off the SD card; this does not exist with the iPod.
6) My iPod worked perfectly well so why this was necessary for me to do was beyond me in the first place.
7) Answering questions about the Maserati Touch Control is far easier if you just Google U Connect, the Chrysler unit that Maserati's MTC actually is, as there are obviously far more Jeep and Dodge people on forums than there are Maserati owners.
8) I have a 16 GB Class 10 SD card. Although Chrysler documentation suggests Class 10 cards won't work (they claim must be Class 8 or older because Class 10 cards are too fast), mine works perfectly.
9) Does anyone know how to create a playlist for the card? I can use that Mac app, but then I'd have to manually correct all those file names again.:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
More on Playing Itunes on the SD Card Player

Thank you to all the other Ghibli owners who enabled me to successfully transfer my Itunes music to an SD Card and have that music readable by my new 2015 Ghibli. I thought I would add a couple of extra bits of information that I would have found useful as I went through this process.

First, as recommended by the other writers, I used a SanDisk 32 GB SDHC. I formatted the SD Card to MS DOS FAT. Next I highlighted and copied all the music album folders from the Music/Itunes/Itunes Media folder off my IMac desktop computer and pasted them into the SD Card.

As noted by previous writers, if you just took this SD Card and inserted into the Ghibli, the Ghibli would detect Meta Data (i.e. those shell-like files that do not do anything other than to make your folders look messy). You would still have music files that would be readable by the Ghibli, however they would be mixed in with the Meta Data files and the appearance on your Ghibli screen would look rather messy. That is, you would always have to scroll past the MetaData files in any directory before you got to the real music files.

To remove the Meta data, install the Blue Harvest program on your IMac. There is a free 30 day trial, after that, you need to pay money. After you install Blue Harvest, you can simply right click on any folder and select “Clean with Blue Harvest”, then the program will proceed to wipe the Meta Data from that file. When Blue Harvest is complete, it will show a pop up of everything it has deleted and say that it has completed the cleaning.

In the previous posts, no one mentioned how the Blue Harvest worked after you clicked “Clean with Blue Harvest”. So when I first tried it, I tried to clean the entire SD Card. Blue Harvest did not appear to do anything, so I falsely assumed that the cleaning was almost instantaneous. Unfortunately, it is not. When I popped the SD Card back into my Ghibli, the MetaData was still there. What I later realized was that Blue Harvest first has to read all your files before it begins the cleaning, so I never gave Blue Harvest a chance to complete its work on the entire SD Card with some 500 plus songs before I stopped the process by ejecting the SD Card from my IMac. I learned this by trying something different. Instead of selecting the SD Card, I selected on just one album folder from the SD Card and selected “Clean with Blue Harvest”. As this was a much smaller folder than the entire SD Card, the Blue Harvest pop up showing that it was cleaning came up right away. Subsequent to this discovery, I chose to clean about 10 albums at a time as opposed to trying to clean the entire SD Card.

Like a previous writer posted, the Song Title when it appears on your Ghibli display will include an Itunes Track Number in front of it. If you do not like this, you can go back into the individual song and rename the file to exclude the track number. Tedious, but it can be done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm disappointed that I cannot seem to play flac or other lossless files or any 24-bit files that I now have on my USB stick. It seems that the highest resolution files the Ghibli will decode (even with B&W sound system) is mp3 (pretty poor quality). I haven't tried the SD card, but cannot imagine it will be a better resolution than the USB. I also drive BMWs and have no problem decoding much higher resolution files. I'm wondering whether I could get a higher resolution by using an external high-quality DAC (digital to analog converter) which takes the digital signal from my phone and converts it to analog which I could plug into the analog audio jack. This way, I would bypass the Ghibli's seemingly poor DAC (maybe).

21 - 40 of 41 Posts