Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am about to do my first detail. At 76 I can't see me getting it all done in one go, so plan on doing the obvious sections in order.
Roof, bonnet ( trunk ) drivers side, passengers side. Any thoughts.
Yes, I could take it to a so called professional but I like working on my car. Also I will know its done properly. In addition I note that the ceramic coating is normally done indoors, I don't have a large enough garage and my wife refuses to let me take it into the sitting room. Any thought on doing it outside. I also have a few scratches that show the light undercoat. Will they be removed. by the detailing, if not any suggestions.They are quite small and quite fine.
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Regards to all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Detailing process usually involves the steps wash > clay > polish > seal, and in that order. Ceramic coating is the last step and it is better done indoors and on a properly prepared car. Otherwise you will end up locking in the scratches and contaminants. Ceramic coating does not remove or hide scratches. It is the machine polishing step that takes care of the scratches, that too provided they are only on the clear coat. If the scratch is deep, you will need paint repair.

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli, 2019 VW Golf GTI
95 Posts
From my experience Preetham is 100% correct. Ceramic coating won't 'cover' any fine scratches or defects & would almost certainly be better done indoors in a dust free environment.
Preparation is the key to getting a blemish free finish. For example I had mine booked in for a full paint correction, ceramic coating, including wheels & barrels & interior protection the day I took delivery of the car from the dealer (it had 52kms on the clock) The detailer found quite a few corrections were needed (that I was showen at the time) on a brand new car....which he assured me was quite common. It's now 5 years old & looks as good as the day I picked it up from the detailer (it took 5 days to complete). Water still beads & runs off well.
I would really try to find somewhere indoors you can do it & never apply the coating if the paint is hot or in direct sunlight.
Having said all that, nice colour, should come up well...don't see many that colour here in Oz.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Meanwhile, if you are intent on doing something by yourself, I’d suggest an all in one like Chemical Guys Black Light.
It is a light polish, gloss enhancer and a sealant. It can be applied by hand and is capable of masking some of the swirls. I have had good results with that but don’t expect miracles. I do recommend topping it off with a wax or sealant of your choice.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
228 Posts
Claybar after a wash is the secret to a baby-ass smooth finish after the following good wax. Takes out all the little imperfections that cause the surface to feel rough. It will do nothing for scratches. Suggest some of the Meguiar compounding products for that work. They also make a fantastic hybrid ceramic wax if you don't go the full ceramic treatment route.

Reactions: bombbreath

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello all,

I am about to do my first detail. At 76 I can't see me getting it all done in one go, so plan on doing the obvious sections in order.
Roof, bonnet ( trunk ) drivers side, passengers side. Any thoughts.
Yes, I could take it to a so called professional but I like working on my car. Also I will know its done properly. In addition I note that the ceramic coating is normally done indoors, I don't have a large enough garage and my wife refuses to let me take it into the sitting room. Any thought on doing it outside. I also have a few scratches that show the light undercoat. Will they be removed. by the detailing, if not any suggestions.They are quite small and quite fine. View attachment 22773
View attachment 22772
View attachment 22771
Regards to all.
Basic no frills ghibli diesel never washed before. Looks bad. To many gravel roads.And owned by someone who knows nothing. About anything. Take it to a scrap yard get at least 1 British pound 💷 for that heap. Or maybe you can do a class action law suit for your lemon. Ohhhhh yesssssssssss British court's don't work for the people. P.S get off the dull.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
228 Posts
Titleist, pay no attention to the troll. Enjoy your new car and have fun detailing. And for god's sake, don't plaster it with decals and put fake intake scoops on the hood.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's for the support 73. Worry not, Mr Badbreath and I are well acquainted and as you recognize. What kind of person in their " right mind " puts all that junk on such an outstanding car and thinks it clever. I could tell you who, but I promised the nice moderator man not to wind him up any more. Thank again.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
228 Posts
Reading comprehension is important, BB. No one said your car is slow. But I am sure the rice-burner crowd is impressed. You have more room for sketchy decals than the average Civic. And you seem unhappy with diesels, Did a big truck scare you when you were a baby. Finally: MAGA? Do you even know what it means? In your case: Make A Ghibli Assinine.

Reactions: bombbreath

·
Registered
5 Posts
https://www.howtoautodetail.com/ is a good starting point to learn how to detail a car. I have a garage but never detail inside. I would rather find a nice shaded spot and work on the car outside. My car is a 2014 and had pretty rough paint from being kept outdoors in the Florida sun it's entire life. I have had to compound the paint with 205/105 and have put on turtle wax graphene to hold me over till I have time to get some touch up paint to fix a few dings then do a detailed cleaning and use something better like Adams UV graphene coating on it. None of it is hard to do it just takes some time and some minimal equipment. Just don't get wrapped up in name brands since most of them are just marketing junk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also if you have never done it this video
is probably the best one to learn how to buff our the paint to get it looking as good as possible. Watch it at 1.2x or faster he talks a bit slow. And instead of buying the expensive clay bar material you can use the white plumbers putty that comes in a can. It works very well and you will get better results since you are more likely to get a new handful when it gets enough grit picked up since it is so cheap to buy. The solution you use with a clay bar is just a small amount of car wash soap and water in a spray bottle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts