Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Nothing is forever and after an accident, im selling my maserati.
What is your opinion on a 2019 Ghibli Sq4 to lease or a Porsche 718 Cayman S if anyone knows about it?
I know this a ghibli forum, so i understand if noone likes porsche.
I love maserati. I drove my car so much. But it does come with some problems.
Let me what you guys think. If you have a 2019 or 2018, how are the cars driving? Any glitches with bluetooth? Battery issues?

·
Registered
157 Posts
2017+ is MUCH more refined than 14-16. I drove a fully loaded 19 loaner for two weeks - there are plenty of improvements, big and subtle, that finally makes it worthy of its price tag. Test drive one to get a feel for it yourself.

As for the Porsche, I mean they are nice cars but a 718 is certainly not as practical as the Ghibli. Personally I'm also not a fan of Porsche's interior.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Apples and Oranges. You are asking to weigh in on a four door 5-seater sedan vs. two door two seater (practically speaking). So I can't begin to give you advice other than the Cayman is a poor mans porsche, a step up from Boxster. Get a 911 or wait until you can afford one.

Yes, your 2015 is light years behind the newer Ghibli's, so worth a look. I would also look at a BMW M550i.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
211 Posts
Agree with Joe-G. My Ghibli reminds me more of my old Audi A6 in size rather than my current A4. But it is far above either in looks, ride, tech, options. All these are 5-passenger luxury tourers and are completely different than my two 2005 Crossfires which are 2-seaters (one a convertible; one an SRT6 coupe). You have to ask yourself: do you want a luxury sports sedan or a luxury sports car. The only thing that could tip me towards the Porsche would be a 6-speed.

Reactions: Joe-Ghibli

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
376 Posts
My 2018 ghibli has been perfect. Zero issues (except for the $hitty p-zero tires), zero campaigns (recalls), and everything works as it should. I've been daily driving it for the last 2.5 years, even in the dead of winter. I had a 2015 sq4 before so I've driven both a lot. The 2018 is a more refined machine with those issues from 14-16 already addressed at factory. I can almost feel the difference. The exhaust is not as loud though just FYI.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My 2018 ghibli has been perfect. Zero issues (except for the $hitty p-zero tires), zero campaigns (recalls), and everything works as it should. I've been daily driving it for the last 2.5 years, even in the dead of winter. I had a 2015 sq4 before so I've driven both a lot. The 2018 is a more refined machine with those issues from 14-16 already addressed at factory. I can almost feel the difference. The exhaust is not as loud though just FYI.
The Zeros are such crap, I can’t wait for them to wear out to put some Michelin summer softies on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apples and Oranges. You are asking to weigh in on a four door 5-seater sedan vs. two door two seater (practically speaking). So I can't begin to give you advice other than the Cayman is a poor mans porsche, a step up from Boxster. Get a 911 or wait until you can afford one.

Yes, your 2015 is light years behind the newer Ghibli's, so worth a look. I would also look at a BMW M550i.
Hi everyone,

Nothing is forever and after an accident, im selling my maserati.
What is your opinion on a 2019 Ghibli Sq4 to lease or a Porsche 718 Cayman S if anyone knows about it?
I know this a ghibli forum, so i understand if noone likes porsche.
I love maserati. I drove my car so much. But it does come with some problems.
Let me what you guys think. If you have a 2019 or 2018, how are the cars driving? Any glitches with bluetooth? Battery issues?
As someone who has owned both a Ghibli, and QP both purchased new one year apart, can say that the Ghibli can also be seen in the same vein as a poor mans QP. QP sounds better, exhaust has additional notes that the Ghibli does not. Ghibli can sound tinny at times, while QP does not. Did not notice much of a handling difference between the two except Ghibli feels stiffer due to size, but would pick QP every time.

I currently own a 718 Cayman and the new 992. In comparison to the Ghibli, if you don’t need the space it would be 718 hands down. If you thought the Ghibli was sporty, wait until you get in the Porsche and start the ignition. Handling, driving experience, and road feel all surpass the Ghibli. While interior is more of a basic layout, the materials feel more expensive and higher quality than that of the Ghibli. I’ve made every excuse with both Ghibli and QP but the Chrysler origins are there, if that doesn’t bother you then that’s fine.

Would also not say the 718 is a poor mans 911, both have different driving characteristics, mid vs rear engine. 718 is great for a weekend drive, 911 is perfect for daily commutes due to its GT characteristics but the car can feel heavy at times and doesn’t that raw visceral feel with the engine right behind you. Either one, both feel like real sports cars in comparison to the Maserati which is more akin to an amg43/53 excluding the Trofeos which I have not driven yet.

Hope this helps answers your question.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
211 Posts
Funny comment that the Ghibli is a "poor man's" QP. Most middle class people I know cannot afford a $100k car, let alone $139k. Each to his own. As far as comparing Maserati sedans to Porsche two-seaters, they are entirely different animals with different handling characteristics for different audiences. My advice to anyone deciding between two cars: either test drive both or, if possible, rent one for a weekend. PS-The Ghibli sounds great in sport mode which I do not use very often to keep from offending my neighbors. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny comment that the Ghibli is a "poor man's" QP. Most middle class people I know cannot afford a $100k car, let alone $139k. Each to his own. As far as comparing Maserati sedans to Porsche two-seaters, they are entirely different animals with different handling characteristics for different audiences. My advice to anyone deciding between two cars: either test drive both or, if possible, rent one for a weekend. PS-The Ghibli sounds great in sport mode which I do not use very often to keep from offending my neighbors. Good luck with your decision.
The poor mans quote was in response to the previous comment above of the 718 being a poor mans Porsche. Am tired of seeing commentary from those who have yet to driven one. I own both the 718 and 911, and the 718 is far from being a poor mans Porsche. In addition not sure what country your in but Ghibli S tend to be around the 80-85k mark and also deeply discounted from new. There’s a reason why the equivalent msrp Mercedes will lease/finance for far higher than Maserati.

If we do apples to apples between QP and Panamera, I would pick QP for driving enjoyment and fun factor.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
211 Posts
Fair enough. Nicely loaded Ghiblis like in my signatures go for right around $98k in Michigan. Personally, I don't like leases and tend to buy a 2yo pre-owned and then keep them a long time, because I buy what I enjoy driving. The exceptions were the Ghibli and my Crossfire roadster, bought new. I also enjoy a smaller midsize vehicle and the Ghibli fits that bill more than the QP. For the same reason, I downsized from my A6 2.7T to an A4 2.0T (both were MT6, my preference when I can get it. I did take two test drives in an S8 (with the Lambo V10) a few years ago but decided against it because it was too big, but...what a beast.

I did not call either Porsche names but I do maintain a Ghibli or QP is a different driving experience than a two-seat sports car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fair enough. Nicely loaded Ghiblis like in my signatures go for right around $98k in Michigan. Personally, I don't like leases and tend to buy a 2yo pre-owned and then keep them a long time, because I buy what I enjoy driving. The exceptions were the Ghibli and my Crossfire roadster, bought new. I also enjoy a smaller midsize vehicle and the Ghibli fits that bill more than the QP. For the same reason, I downsized from my A6 2.7T to an A4 2.0T (both were MT6, my preference when I can get it. I did take two test drives in an S8 (with the Lambo V10) a few years ago but decided against it because it was too big, but...what a beast.

I did not call either Porsche names but I do maintain a Ghibli or QP is a different driving experience than a two-seat sports car.
My point exactly. Ghibli and QP are different, similar to 718 and 911. If you ever get a chance to drive the QP pay attention to the exhaust note, it is quite different than the Ghibli and has additional sounds on the up shift. From 3-4K rpms you will notice it has an almost whistling sound that is very satisfying. For some reason the Ghibli always sounds like the exhaust was held back. I do notice the same in the 911 compared to 718, even in GT4 trim (both flat 6) Porsche tunes the exhaust better in the 911 and this is with PSE in both vehicles.

The exhaust difference and overall better interior IMO was what initially had me trade in the Ghibli for the QP. That and the rear on the QP is more attractive to my eyes.

My point to leasing/financing was regardless of method to acquire the equivalent Maserati will always come out less due to the subsidies/discounts and lower interest rate. Hence why my Porsches were purchased and not the Maseratis.

Before I moved to Porsche I strongly considered the final facelift GranTurismo Convertible, but after a test drive, it just felt too heavy and old. Even with the enormous discount that the dealer was willing to offer on a new vehicle I still decided to go with Porsche. In my eyes the GT is still the best in terms of looks in the lineup and exhaust, with the exception of the tail lamps which I give to the QP.

May return to Maserati again once they improve the interior to a much higher standard and not use switchgear found on a Chrysler. Perfect example is the Ghibli infotainment center air vents which are similar to those on the Mercedes GLE. The design looks like it belongs in an economy car, while the QP has these beautiful rectangular vents that look more like a luxury vehicle and imposing dash that is reminiscent of a Panamera and Flying Spur.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I had a 996 4S .. and I drive sometimes 997 also 4S and panamera

How can someone compare those cars to a Ghibli or QP? Insane
Porsche is a highest level car in all terms.. I drove my porsche for many years put on 167000 km with not a problem.. and sold it for a very good price and still drive with no issues with the current owner that I know
Marvelous engineering cars made to last doesn't matter the weather condition etc
I wanted a Panamera unfortunately the price was way too expensive.. as I like cars with options not standard so 200.000 euro was too much and I buy cash no credits or loans.
But it will not be my last porsche for sure.
People are not understanding that maserati still a luxury brand although the cars don't have the right luxury compared to the price you pay.. specially for my SQ4 gransport full loaded .. enough just comparing to my daily Jaguar XJ that is a master piece in luxury
Maserati it is not made for daily never was, it is a pleasure car and you must buy it that way
If you do the same as you do with a porsche a bmw M or AMGs etc. driving hundreds of thousand miles... don't take maserati
You will never reach the same millage driving the same way without several issues and expensive.. my previous CLS Mercedes was better in all ways including luxury then a ghibli and very reliable
Having a maserati just to show off it is the worst decision you can do

Maserati it is a car to buy generally as a second car or knowing exactly where you are going to.
Don't compare with brands .. it is not why maserati exist
I bought mine as I already said and despist the bad reputation regarding reliability history
It is because I just love it!
I love the outside of the car it has such a charm
I love also the driving on it with all engridients to make it tasteful.. Engine gearbox sound
It is a heart choice .. if you don't have that while looking for cars.. don't buy one

I use mine carefully I know they are fragile I take care of it ... and for what I do with it, I don't regret ..and it has been for 2 year half now and it still putting a smile in my face each time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As someone who has owned both a Ghibli, and QP both purchased new one year apart, can say that the Ghibli can also be seen in the same vein as a poor mans QP. QP sounds better, exhaust has additional notes that the Ghibli does not. Ghibli can sound tinny at times, while QP does not. Did not notice much of a handling difference between the two except Ghibli feels stiffer due to size, but would pick QP every time.

I currently own a 718 Cayman and the new 992. In comparison to the Ghibli, if you don’t need the space it would be 718 hands down. If you thought the Ghibli was sporty, wait until you get in the Porsche and start the ignition. Handling, driving experience, and road feel all surpass the Ghibli. While interior is more of a basic layout, the materials feel more expensive and higher quality than that of the Ghibli. I’ve made every excuse with both Ghibli and QP but the Chrysler origins are there, if that doesn’t bother you then that’s fine.

Would also not say the 718 is a poor mans 911, both have different driving characteristics, mid vs rear engine. 718 is great for a weekend drive, 911 is perfect for daily commutes due to its GT characteristics but the car can feel heavy at times and doesn’t that raw visceral feel with the engine right behind you. Either one, both feel like real sports cars in comparison to the Maserati which is more akin to an amg43/53 excluding the Trofeos which I have not driven yet.

Hope this helps answers your question.
Thank you all for the replies. Helped a lot. I know the Cayman and the Ghibli are completely different animals, but i have no kids so barely use the backseats. Plus sometimes change is good..... but i went the Ghibli SQ4 again. Loved the car too much. And yea i want a 911 too, but Maserati has my heart. The new Ghibli is much better in a lot of aspects. Love it so far. And i test drove a Cayman and it drove amazing but it didnt feel the same. Maybe a 911 is better (havent test drove yet), crazy facts:
North Jersey Porsche dealer, it will take 6 months to get the porsche deliver.
Insurance quote on the Porsche by Vin came out 200 a month less than the maserati. Couldnt believe it.

Summary Love Maserati wishing for a MC20 one day.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Glad to hear you are staying in the family! They are different animals no doubt. But you are a trident guy for sure because I agree that the 911 is a better "machine" but my tridents are more than just machines to me, they are my babies and I have unconditional love for them despite their flaws.

Reactions: MileHighMaserati

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let’s not kid ourselves

the ghibli is a less fortunate man’s QP and a 718 is a less fortunate man’s 911
I don't agree with that QP vs Ghibli statement. I didn't consider the QP for one second and it had nothing to do with cost. It's a boat and too big for me, it's a different car and different driving experience.

I would buy the 718 vs 911 statement though. Nobody bought the 718 b/c they didn't like the 911 lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts