Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm coming up on scheduled maintenance (year 2, 24k miles) and I'm wondering what a scheduled service should cost nowadays. I know what I paid for my first oil change, which I believe was highway robbery, but the car needed work done under warranty so I just paid it. I prefer to have it done at a Maserati dealer and I'd love to know what was actually performed and what the dealer charged you.

Thanks!
JM

·
Registered
48 Posts
The manual tells you what is included (so easy to change air filters/cabin filters yourself though) so for an oil change dick Lovett will relieve you of £1.061 for a diesel and £921 for the petrol.

This is the main reason Maserati will never achieve being competition for the 5 series and produce the numbers that they want to. The oil filter is the same as an Alfa Romeo one, which if ordered in a Maserati box costs 4x the amount. How you can justify paying £1k to remove a sump bolt and pour fresh oil in the top is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
The manual tells you what is included (so easy to change air filters/cabin filters yourself though) so for an oil change dick Lovett will relieve you of £1.061 for a diesel and £921 for the petrol.

This is the main reason Maserati will never achieve being competition for the 5 series and produce the numbers that they want to. The oil filter is the same as an Alfa Romeo one, which if ordered in a Maserati box costs 4x the amount. How you can justify paying £1k to remove a sump bolt and pour fresh oil in the top is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dealership prices are always crazy high. But I will say that the oil change is not straight forward. I changed the oil on my 2014 SQ4 and I had to remove a cover panel to get to the drain plug. Not too difficult, but a little time consuming and annoying removing the required bolts and screws. It wasn't bad as I have a lift in my garage, but I never had to do that on any other car I've owned.

That work plus the word "Maserati" increase the price, unfortunately.

Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’ve had to remove undertrays on all my bmw and lotus vehicles. There are a few more bolts and a couple of ‘hidden’ ones on the ghibli but this adds 10 minutes to the time taken.
I get that the marque adds to the price but they need to get over this for a mass market car. Selling and Alfa Romeo part for multiples of the same price is just a con and customers will realise this. It’s like the old Bentley suspension spheres that were actually Citroen parts but ludicrously expensive to come in a different box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
621 euro in Luxembourg the 1st maintenance ghibli SQ4 2016 in Maserati garage

my BMWM550D I pay 750euro the 1est one and 805 euro the CLS 350

all around 20 to 25000km

·
Registered
52 Posts
JMiz, get yourself an oil extractor (about $50 for a good, metal one that operates manually by vacuum pressure), a couple cases of oil (about $8 a quart), and a filter (about $40 including the housing--much less if you just order the element), and a cabin filter (about $30) and do it yourself. Total cost will be approx. $185, $50 of which is a one-time expense) and total time to change the oil, filter and cabin filter will be less time that you would spend driving to the dealer and waiting for them to perform the same service that I paid $540+ for before I went rogue. It goes without saying that the oil is extracted through the dipstick tube and obviates the need for removing the ultra complicated system of plastic panels some drunk Italian designed that are fastened with different size screws for some bizarre reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just brought my '14 SQ4 Ghibli to my dealer for the 37k milie service and was quoted $1600 for the minimum oil service and spark plug replacement or $3200 to add changing filters and fluid flush and replacement. I think the fluid flush included cooling, brake and power steering fluids.
I opted for the minimum at this point.
One of the complaints I had when I brought it in was what I felt was sloppiness in the front end. I was pleased that the dealer diagnosed it as worn front control arms and is replacing them under warranty.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
JMiz, get yourself an oil extractor (about $50 for a good, metal one that operates manually by vacuum pressure), a couple cases of oil (about $8 a quart), and a filter (about $40 including the housing--much less if you just order the element), and a cabin filter (about $30) and do it yourself. Total cost will be approx. $185, $50 of which is a one-time expense) and total time to change the oil, filter and cabin filter will be less time that you would spend driving to the dealer and waiting for them to perform the same service that I paid $540+ for before I went rogue. It goes without saying that the oil is extracted through the dipstick tube and obviates the need for removing the ultra complicated system of plastic panels some drunk Italian designed that are fastened with different size screws for some bizarre reason.

But if you do the oil extracted by vacuum, you may take dirt of the bouton and pull up through the valves etc
here in Luxembourg some companies do that but only on very cheap engine cars mostly at the end of their lifes to make it cheap and fast also you never take all the oil out by vacuum
I understand it is complicated to remove the lower plastic protection etc, but still the best way to do a proper oil change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But if you do the oil extracted by vacuum, you may take dirt of the bouton and pull up through the valves etc
here in Luxembourg some companies do that but only on very cheap engine cars mostly at the end of their lifes to make it cheap and fast also you never take all the oil out by vacuum
I understand it is complicated to remove the lower plastic protection etc, but still the best way to do a proper oil change.
To be kind: You are completely out of your mind.
How does drawing oil from the oil pan up through the dip stick tube possibly expose the valve train to sediments that may have settled in the pan?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I did not say anything bad to you personally or about your person.
We are all here to discuss friendly !!!! I used words as But IF or MAY .. so you correct me and explain and I am grateful for it

and I did not understand that was through the dip stick as must of my cars don't have one, so automatically I was wondering how that system works, as I said some companies do that, as for example the vans from a friend company, they do oil change by vacuum ( i never saw while doing one)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did not say anything bad to you personally or about your person.
We are all here to discuss friendly !!!! I used words as But IF or MAY .. so you correct me and explain and I am grateful for it

and I did not understand that was through the dip stick as must of my cars don't have one, so automatically I was wondering how that system works, as I said some companies do that, as for example the vans from a friend company, they do oil change by vacuum ( i never saw while doing one)
So sorry if I offended you Geoffrey, but my post did state that the extraction was through the dipstick tube.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Yes indeed I just did not understood the word dipstick tube, I translated in oil cap in my head, of course wrongly.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Where do you get your parts and o

·
Registered
456 Posts
Cyn92, there are suppliers no this forum. Search function will reveal them.

I can't help you with the petrol engine parts, I live in Europe and I have a Diesel one, and have the alternate parts numbers.
Some one might have done this for the petrol one.

Alternately once you have removed the parts you go to a car part supplies place and show them the old ones, they will most probably be able to give you an alternative reference.

If you have a lot of time you can surf the net with the Maserati reference, something will pop-up.

I agree 1000% with Grigio, concerning the vacuum oil change, I have done this for the past 20 years on all my cars, and there is absolutely no risk.
I can guarantee you that all the oil is drained out, not even a tea spoon left in the sump, you have more than that left in the oil cooler and in the nooks and crannies of the head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts