Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello , I need to check next week my ghibli timing chain to see if it is in position and if not to realine it.
I will be doing this to a local shop and I was asked if I can come up with a sketch for his normal position or some manual.
If anyone can help me , thanks:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes , timing chain , thats what I wrote in the title
, just saw that i said timing belt after in the post.
For the timing chain I need some sketch or manual.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Ok let me see if I can explain you and i will try to, because I am sure some dealers will charge people a lot of money for absolutely no work done at all

if you need to access the timing chain.. well you need to remove the engine from the car, that's the 1st thing, 2nd once the engine out you have to remove all accessories in the front of the engine, the injection system on top of the engine the rocker cover ( not sure if we say like that) water pump etc etc ..
I will try to explain in pictures, I was in Maserati dealer and I saw an engine outside in a bench from a Ghibli being dismantled by a mechanic and an expert was there to take pictures, as the car was sold as second hand to a client and almost a year later the engine seized solid, so they all try to figure out what happen what made that happen, was the client who did something or was a default in the engine etc unfortunately I did not take my self pictures, as the expert would not allow me anyway.

this is the engine V6 either 430 or 410 ps it is the same basically the same
in red shows where are the timing chain basically inside the engine

to access that timing chain ( there is one in each side ) you need to remove the front of the engine completely .. picture below , the timing chains are hidden behind all these front engine pan ( that is just the lower part, is missing the upper part of both sides on the picture)

where you see these pan on the engine but a lot of accessories and parts have been already removed

and here below the engine when coming out of the car, more complete to show the massif work that needs to be done

basically all front-engine must come off with all the pullies belts accessories, fuel injection system header, water pump, rocker covers Oil pan, oil filter etc etc till it looks like this

if you have to do this.. jisus prepare your wallet

Some confusion comes from the name Ghibli V6 biturbo, actually, it is the old model 2003 for example that had a timing belt. meaning with covers to give easy access without dismantling the engine apart and was part of the regular maintenance service

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
It can be the timing gear variator there is 4 on the cylinder heads of the engine, 2 in each side and varies &regulates the timing of the valves by moving the position of the camshaft in relation to the drive gear of the engine

this is equal to the VANOS in the M BMWs ..

·
Registered
2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
44 Posts
I don't know of a video on timing chain for Ghibli, but there are many for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Pentastar V6 which VERY similar to the V6 in the Ghibli. A sample video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced a timing variator on my 2014 SQ4. You do not need to pull the engine. Do NOT follow the Pentastar timing procedure as it is not the same. You will need the Maserati timing tool to set it perfectly. It can be done without the tool, but I did not want to risk it, so I bought the tool.

You need to pull everything off the front of the engine and the valve covers to remove the timing chain cover. You will need to remove the alternator and unbolt the power steering pump, but you do not have to remove the lines on the pump. You must also remove the alternator bracket as it wraps around to the front of the timing cover. These bolts are difficult to reach. I accessed through the wheel well.

Right bank cams alight with the line on the variator, left back with the arrows. 12 pins on the chain between the camshaft timing marks. Crankshaft position is vague in the service manual. it just states the key should be "up". This is why I bought the timing tool.

If you remove the variators be careful of the diamond washers as they are easily damaged and must be aligned when reinstalled.

Fell free to hit me up with questions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks.
I only find a kit to the timing tool in China , is this what you used yourself ?
Also do you have from the manual or something for exact position on the timing chain. I am not 100% sure that is not in place so I need to check first if it is or something else is the problem in the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes that is the same kit I purchased. The two blocks and large bolts hold the camshafts in the proper position. With the blocks in place, the timing marks on the camshaft variators on both sides should line up. The other tool goes on the crankshaft to hold it in the proper position, which is the 12 o' clock position. There are not timing marks on the chains, only on the cams and variators.

The way to check would be to rotate until your timing marks on the variators line up, then check the position of the crankshaft.

The tech at my dealer showed me how to set the timing so I dont have anything I can send to you. But you can buy the shop manual on ebay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes thanks , I have bought the full workshop manual.
If anyone want the workshop manual I can send it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts