Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just replaced a timing variator on my 2014 SQ4. You do not need to pull the engine. Do NOT follow the Pentastar timing procedure as it is not the same. You will need the Maserati timing tool to set it perfectly. It can be done without the tool, but I did not want to risk it, so I bought the tool.

You need to pull everything off the front of the engine and the valve covers to remove the timing chain cover. You will need to remove the alternator and unbolt the power steering pump, but you do not have to remove the lines on the pump. You must also remove the alternator bracket as it wraps around to the front of the timing cover. These bolts are difficult to reach. I accessed through the wheel well.

Right bank cams alight with the line on the variator, left back with the arrows. 12 pins on the chain between the camshaft timing marks. Crankshaft position is vague in the service manual. it just states the key should be "up". This is why I bought the timing tool.

If you remove the variators be careful of the diamond washers as they are easily damaged and must be aligned when reinstalled.

Fell free to hit me up with questions.
Just curious what prompted to replace your timing variator?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes full manual ( 615 pages ) in Pdf format , who wants it leave an email adress in private.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious what prompted to replace your timing variator?
I bought the car at auction. It would not accelerate and was throwing timing codes. Someone had previously had the timing cover off. I found that they had taken the the exhaust variator off and when they put it back on, they did not properly set the diamond washer. This caused the cam shaft to be stuck so the VVT did not operate and also damaged the variator. I have no idea why the previous owner got into the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the car at auction. It would not accelerate and was throwing timing codes. Someone had previously had the timing cover off. I found that they had taken the the exhaust variator off and when they put it back on, they did not properly set the diamond washer. This caused the cam shaft to be stuck so the VVT did not operate and also damaged the variator. I have no idea why the previous owner got into the engine.
And you did the work yourself? Awesome, now I know who to ask when needed lol.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts