Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Q4 with the Skyhook suspension and 19" wheels. After taking a test drive in a car equipped with the Sport suspension, I decided I wanted the option of a more comfortable ride for daily driving, while choosing a sportier ride for more special occasions.

Having logged about 600 miles, I think Skyhook fulfills the dual role rather well. The normal setting is the more successful attempt. In this mode, the car glides over bumps, potholes or expansion joints. Driving over roads that undulate up and down (quite frequent in Northern California), the car does float a bit, but not as bad as some softly-sprung American cars I've experienced. Despite this compliance, the car still handles accurately and confidently.

Switching to sport mode, the ride firms up and cornering is nearly flat. On smooth roads, it's as sporty as I'd want a luxury sedan to be. However, over bumpy roads, the car seems to be slightly underdamped and bounces momentarily before settling. In comparison, a 911 equipped with PDCC in normal mode rides similarly well, corners flat, and settles immediately after each bump. A late-model C63 (which uses a fixed suspension) rides firmer but doesn't bounce over bumps. That said, the Ghibli regains composure quickly, and this behavior shouldn't dissuade anyone considering Skyhook.

If you're in the market for a Ghibli, and what the ability to choose between a comfortable and sporty ride, take the time to test drive a Skyhook-equipped car. The noticeable difference between the two modes expands the car's range of capabilities, and sufficiently justifies the additional cost.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Great Review. I had posted a detailed review on the care with my comments on Skyhook and came to the same findings although I did not state them as well as you did. I did read the tech data and some reviews and bought the system blind and have never looked back. Thanks again for the elegant review of Skyhook as many are not sure and do not want to spend $3K blind...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Etodd31856. It was a blind purchase for me too, though I got to ride in a car with the sport suspension. I suppose my good experience with cars that have adjustable suspensions pushed me over the fence with the Ghibli. For me, the Ghibli is sporty but has to fulfill the luxury car role equally well. For the most part, Skyhook allows the Ghibli to do just that.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Agreed guys - nice summary of the Skyhook feature.

I had considered optioning my 2015 with Skyhook after conversing with Etodd31856 and my wife's initial reaction to the Sports ride as a passenger. The guys at World Wide Ferrari had a QP with Skyhook (no-one has a Q4 demo with Skyhook), they were quite firm in their belief
that Skyhook was only required for track type driving.

Interestingly when I drove their QP I did not think ride was as 'rough'/firm as I expected. Thank god my wife made the decision easy by saying "get the Ghibli with Sports Pkg - I can get used to anything" - hence I did NOT select Skyhook with my 2015. Funny thing is she is actually a better driver than I am. Whereas most of my customers are in the City, after many years as a Sales Rep in the Tri-State area, she has clocked way more miles driving many different types of vehicle
Up to now I have been more of a weekend warrior, but that will change with the Q4

DD

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am surprised that skyhook would be recommended for track purposes........as it is the normal mode that is what make skyhook worth buying as the firm mode is supposed to be not quite as firm as sports package.........anyway this always comes down to each his own and your wife is correct is you can get used to anything.........I had sports suspension in my Camero and never thought about it until after riding in it after a few weeks with the new Maz.....I am sure you will both be happy as it is hard to make a bad option decision with this car (ex the Premium Stereo although I am not an audiophile and have no problems with my Premium system!! being deaf helps i guess!!) Good Luck!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ed, you are so right....My wife is very particular she likes a smooth ride, a bump hater. When I had my RX7 years ago she refused to ride in it because it felt every aspect of the road. When I began looking at the Ghibli and I mentioned its a " sport sedan" her first reaction was negative. So we test drove it and she sat in the back seat. We drove the normal mode and ICE then sport. She had no issues in normal and actually preferred ICE. Sport mode even had her liking the feel. We even test drove a Mercedes E class. You what she said after that ride. " I like the Maserati better". Now that I have the car she loves the ride in any mode.
Now I have the best of both worlds: A car I love to drive and a car she loves to ride in!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now I have the best of both worlds: A car I love to drive and a car she loves to ride in!
Very smart, indeed. Ah, yes another important WAF lesson and one that paid off for you as well;)

From a previous post:

If you are going to be happy, you need to pay attention to the WAF*

What is WAF?

It's the Wife Acceptance Factor. If you ignore it, you're in deep sh*t! I am sure both you and your wife will be thrilled with your new Ghibli.

*The Wife Acceptance Factor is inversely proportional to the possible amount of conflict resulting from different points of view. The lower the WAF, the more convincing needs to be done, or the more conflict arises from the acquisition or project

·
Registered
278 Posts
In my case I came home told my wife I bought a second car, she said: wich one? I said maserati. Ok she said. I guess my WAF is very high :), anyway she will drive the audi while i'm taking the maser.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I was surprised too; the dealership is quite knowledgeable (as Joe300 and Spsesq can attest) about the product and the sales manager is a Ferrari schooled car racer at Lime Rock and upstate NY. Hence my comment about the relief I felt when 'she who must be obeyed' gave her blessing.

BTW I use the term MGF as in minimal grief factor as opposed to WAF

DD

·
Administrator
2,414 Posts
On the WAF ... mine was pretty tame on the car ... more vocal on the color choice and adding another a 6th car to the family, (must have been the fascination film that triggered the point of view ... was I looking at the car of the girl?). I originally liked the brighter blue passione but ended with grigio mareata which looks great too. I took a little grief since today was the first day she drove in the Maserati :(. She has a zircon (light blue) colored Jaguar which I got for her birthday a few years back ... so I new their would be no complaints :).

On the skyhook ... thanks for the information. I got the sports and 20" Urano's and that combination works very well for me. I have some very cushy cars so for me the firm ride was perfect and ICE seems to make it even softer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No WAF/MGF considerations for me - I just finalized the order for my 2015 Ghibli S in Riyadh. They don't offer packages here so you order menu style. I wanted all the items in the sport package but it seems you cannot get a RWD with sport suspension. I want something more responsive than normal suspension so choices were to order an SQ4 or a RWD S with skyhook. I chose the latter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts