Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a test drive with the diesel version.
After driving a jaguar XF, I had the feeling that the ride was much firmer on the Ghibli.
After reading about the Skyhook suspension option, I would be pleased to hear anyones comments on this & if there is a noticeable smoothing of the suspension with it fitted.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I recently took a test drive with the diesel version.
After driving a jaguar XF, I had the feeling that the ride was much firmer on the Ghibli.
After reading about the Skyhook suspension option, I would be pleased to hear anyones comments on this & if there is a noticeable smoothing of the suspension with it fitted.
There are 3 options on the Ghibli. Sport Suspension, Skyhook and Base suspension.

Sport Suspension is Koni mechanical adaptive suspension. The Koni shocks will react to driving style and road conditions mechanically…no user involvement. It might be a bit stiff for you.

Skyhook is controlled via a button and adjusts the suspension electronically. It is not as aggressive as the Sport and can be softer then the base suspension.

The Base suspension is not adjustable at all.

In order from most to least stiffness:

Sport Suspension under aggressive driving
Skyhook Agressive Setting
Sport Suspension under casual driving
Base suspension
Skyhook non aggressive setting

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have ordered skyhook blind but I wanted to enhance the car's dual personalities as my wife will drive the car and is not interested in twistys or going a buck fifty, just driving and having a nice ride. If you are hard core sports enthuist get the sport suspension. Family car get base or skyhook.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wanted to chime in because I just had some back-to-back driving experience between a Q4 with the base suspension, and my own Q4 with the sports suspension. The sports suspension is *SMOOTHER* than the base suspension during every day driving. I find it quite a noticeable difference. Not only is it smoother, but the car feels more solid and planted, instead of feeling jostled or loose. I'm not saying the base suspension is bad, just that the sports suspension provides a noticeably more refined ride. I haven't driven the base suspension hard in corners, but I know the sports suspension in my car works very well in the corners with very little body roll and excellent control/reaction to steering input.

Of course some of the increased control and steering response will be due to the 19" wheels on my car vs the 18" stock. But the point is that the sports suspension is smoother than the base suspension during normal everyday driving even with the 19" wheels.

I also noticed a significant difference in engine management and throttle response between the two cars, but that's a different story and not attributable to the suspension.

At this point, I believe the sports suspension is a *MUST HAVE*; unless you go for the Skyhook.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked my dealer the same question and got the following response;

"The sport suspension is a constant suspension set up that actively varies the damping to give a more sporty feel. There is not a button to turn this on or off.
With the skyhook active damping suspension there is a button to firm up the suspension to allow for a more sporty ride or you can leave it in the standard mode for a more comfortable ride.

Sport Skyhook: electronic suspension control system
The Ghibli can be equipped with optional aluminium shock absorbers and independent dynamic electronic control. The system monitors a wide range of parameters, including vehicle dynamics (speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration), body and wheel movements, shock absorber dynamics (compression, extension, piston speed) and, depending on the drive mode selected by the dedicated button, the system adjusts the ideal damping conditions for the current handling situation, for each wheel separately. The car's independent suspension control is one of the standout features of the Ghibli. When the car is switched on, the shock absorbers are set to give priority to comfort. By pressing the suspension button on the gear shift lever bezel the setting changes, and the shock absorbers become more rigid, thus significantly changing the car's handling. This setting, developed on the track and in extreme conditions, is characterised by reduced load transfers, both longitudinal and lateral (i.e. stiffer) and allows the car to show its sportier soul.

Sport set up option;
The option Sport set-up is visually characterized by the lowering of 10 mm of the vehicle, obtained with the use of specific springs, more rigid, and by the use of shock absorbers KONI, a variable damping self-adaptive hydraulic type, depending on the frequency of the stress. This feature allows to customize the damping according to the dynamic conditions thanks to a valve acting differently in two situations:

• Stress at low frequency, typical of the movements of pitch and roll, which require high damping.
• Stress at high frequency characteristics of the steps of obstacle and on rough roads, which require low damping.

The transition between the two operating modes, calibrated with road tests, allowed to give the car a well-defined sporty handling, without affecting the behaviour of the car on bumpy roads."

I chose to order the skyhook but do not have the car yet and have not tried either of the above options.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well the sports suspension must be better on the Ghibli than on Audi or BMWs where the sports suspension tends to worsen the ride rather than improve it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Ghibli was fitted with the standard suspension (honestly, I didn't consider skyhook). Since I found the suspension too comfortable (the road holding is very good, but in case of poor roads, I don't like it since I prefer a rather stiff suspension), the garage put on the sports. When getting the car the prevented that their testdrive didn't show a lot of difference with the standard suspension and, unfortunately, I have to confirm this... However, still this morning, they informed me Maserati is bringing out a 'MC Corse package' with more sporty suspension as well soon! I will get that installed since for me personally, this fits a sporty berline more.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well the sports suspension must be better on the Ghibli than on Audi or BMWs where the sports suspension tends to worsen the ride rather than improve it.
I've always bought my BMWs with sports suspension when available. The sports package on BMWs are always great bargains as they increase the wheel size, lower the ride, and stiffen the springs/shocks for just a couple of thousand dollars.

The sports package for the Ghibli is also a great bargain although the larger wheels do cost extra. The key is in the mechanical adaptive dampers, however. They don't just make the ride firmer, but provide dual damping rates that contributes both to comfort and handling. What's great is that the system is entirely passive/automatic so there are no buttons to press, no modes to select.

All sporty cars should come with such a suspension standard.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You have to wonder... why didn't Maserati include the sport package with the S Q4? It's kind of silly to offer an S model that isn't fitted with the sport features. Call me crazy.

Oh wait... to meet their ridiculously low entry level prices. That's got to be it considering how prominent price seems to be in their advertisements. "Maserati is affordable" seems to be the emphasis. It's probably a decent strategy given its exotic image...

·
Registered
258 Posts
You have to wonder... why didn't Maserati include the sport package with the S Q4? It's kind of silly to offer an S model that isn't fitted with the sport features. Call me crazy.

Oh wait... to meet their ridiculously low entry level prices. That's got to be it considering how prominent price seems to be in their advertisements. "Maserati is affordable" seems to be the emphasis. It's probably a decent strategy given its exotic image...
I agree, the sports package plus a 19" wheel should have been standard on the S Q4. They could have made the price higher and I would not have cared.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input.
Have taken the decision.... car on order..with Skyhook !.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally, I agree with your decision. My dealer talked me *out* of getting skyhook because "the sport suspension is arguably better and adapts without a separate button." But after reading up more I favor skyhook. No big deal though!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I drove the SQ4 with and without the sport package(both had 19 inch wheels though) through a few bumpy roads in Cleveland and have to tell you I thought the base suspension had a better ride than the sport suspension as far as not feeling the pot holes. Where the sport suspension came in handy was getting on and off the exit ramps at 75mph.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Holy sh*t! I don't think I have the sport suspension (GDI!)

Looking at my options there's no mention of it there, but I ordered it a la carte...

I wonder if this has anything to do with Maserati not allowing certain configs? I specifically ordered the sport package features minus the paddles. The resulting config from the dealer was cryptic and I recall he had a difficult time getting it to "stick" (this was back in September). Dammit, I swear it was on that config... but it's not listed in my invoice. Oh well... The suspension I have is already so freaking tight and stiff..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Helpful discussion

I thought the sport suspension would be the one I would get, but after reading these comments, it looks as though it would be better to go with Skyhook because it would address most normal driving conditions, including potholes plus it would provide more anti-roll /pitch than the Sports suspension during aggressive driving.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have a concern about the reliability of electrical (Skyhook) vs mechanical (Sports).

2. Any clue why they named it Skyhook?

3. What size wheels work best with each set-up? Consider these remarks:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/463798/The-Maserati-Ghibli-comes-of-age

Ride quality is somewhat subjective and selectable driving modes along with optional suspension systems and wheel sizes complicate matters further.

On the standard suspension and on optional, larger-diameter wheels, the Ghibli’s ride errs on the firm side and runs close to feeling harsh on poor surfaces.

If you seek a Ghibli with a properly plush ride the standard 18-inch alloys (saving up to £3,670) coupled with Maserati’s £2,045 Skyhook active suspension is the best option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tight and stiff in a good way? I am still up it the air as far as the sports package goes. Like I said above, I actually thought with the base suspension the car was smoother on rough roads.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tight/Stiff both good and bad. Very nice cornering and agility, not so nice for the other 99% of my driving. But in I.C.E. mode it feels smoother, but maybe that's psychological though since I appear to have the base suspension, which doesn't adapt (?) I'm confused.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Holy sh*t! I don't think I have the sport suspension (GDI!)

Looking at my options there's no mention of it there, but I ordered it a la carte...

I wonder if this has anything to do with Maserati not allowing certain configs? I specifically ordered the sport package features minus the paddles. The resulting config from the dealer was cryptic and I recall he had a difficult time getting it to "stick" (this was back in September). Dammit, I swear it was on that config... but it's not listed in my invoice. Oh well... The suspension I have is already so freaking tight and stiff..
Here in Switzerland the sport suspension is only available together with the sport package (only Q4 and interestingly the Diesel but not "S" and base). With sport suspension the car is 10 mm lower.

·
Registered
324 Posts
10mm lower, eh? I like the look, but honestly the car is already quite low. I have to drive extra careful over speed bumps, my driveway (it's quite steep), and other areas, otherwise the car bottoms out pretty easily relative to my Audi and Bmw which aren't quite as low.

I'd like to verify whether or not I have the sport suspension. Anyone know if there are visual cues in the undercarriage?

·
Registered
852 Posts
RSM did you get the factory order when you put it in? I double checked mine prior to it being locked in. Should be on the window sticker as well. the paddles as a separate option was not available until early January which is when I ordered. I agree that some of it is in your mind.......but you love yours so just enjoy.............while it is only 10MM can you measure the height and compare to spec?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts