Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lease coming up, so shopping around. Test drove a Model S, 2019, long range. And I liked it. Didn't love it. Thoughts:

Advantages:
1) Instant torque. Insane acceleration. Felt like riding a rollercoaster. I could feel my eyeballs pushed back to my skull and my face peeled back when I floored it.
2) Autopilot is cool for getting stuck in traffic
3) Stock radio sounds immersive

Disadvantages:
1) Instant torque without any sound or noise feels weird. I'm used to hearing a sweet exhaust note when I floor it. But here... nothing. It's startling, but emotionless
2) Regenerative braking: so incredibly bad- as soon as you lift foot off, it brakes, and hard to reclaim energy. Wife got nauseated with the constant acceleration and braking.
3) Fit and finish: Waaay cheaper than maserati. Doors felt flimsy, like a corrolla. Trunk wobbled when I closed it. Chrome looks cheap.
4) No sunroof on a 100K car, wtf
5) No apple carplay
6) enormous screen, which I view as a disadvantage
7) Stock radio lacks bass

In the end, the Tesla was quicker, but the model I was driving (long range 2019) lost oomph after 140 kph. Biggest problem is the lack of finish and polish on such an expensive car. People knock the Ghibli for this same issue (usually without actually driving one), but seem to ignore it for this car, which is actually significantly more expensive. Second biggest problem is the lack of sound. I've gotten used to burning dinosaurs and hearing a beautiful sound coming from the back- this doesn't quite do it for me.

I think I'll keep my SQ4, thanks; and wait for the Alferi like everyone else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was somewhat interested in a Tesla S when I started looking at low mileage 2016 models. Was totally turned off when I saw the interior, just to antiseptic looking. Kind of still wanted to take one for a test drive, but didn't want to be a dick if I wasn't seriously considering it.

Also, for the long range models they were quite a bit more then the Ghibli S Q4. Enough so to pay for a lot of gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test drove the tesla too. And amazing torque but no sound like said befoore.
I know people hate on the maserati ghibli, but is my daily and i love it all around. I also have a racecar and still love the Mas. Style, look, power, sound, exclusivity ........ haters will hate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love the haters to be honest. I just smile because all the haters are driving m3's and c43's and i get sooo many more heads turning then they ever will. I could get into a Tesla but I need sound when driving.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love the haters to be honest. I just smile because all the haters are driving m3's and c43's and i get sooo many more heads turning then they ever will. I could get into a Tesla but I need sound when driving.

The reason I started looking at them and finally purchased a couple of weeks ago is because one turned my head on my commute to work. I can go a week or more without seeing another one on the road around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts