Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After owning my Q4 for a month, with 1200 miles on the odo, I thought I'd post some thoughts. For background, the car has 19" wheels, Dunlop summer tires, Skyhook suspension, B&W audio, laminated glass option, and paddle shifters.

I finally took the Ghibli on an extended drive yesterday, from San Francisco to Sacramento and back. The drive was a mix of 80+ mph and stop-and-go traffic, with some in-town driving thrown in.

Skyhook: The car rides very comfortably with Skyhook set to normal. It soaks up bumps regardless of speed. Since I find the Skyhook sport setting to be a bit bouncy in certain conditions, I rarely switch out of the normal mode. The sport setting is nice to have, but the car balances ride and handling well enough to leave it in normal most of the time.

Brakes: Herculean stopping power, grabby at the top just like the C63 AMG's. While it seems to become marginally less grabby after break in, I've found that the best way to modulate the brakes is to roll onto the pedal deliberately instead of stabbing it. With practice, the Ghibli can be slowed and stopped smoothly, and I'd prefer strong brakes that are slightly grabby than spongy and weak ones. The pedal itself could benefit significantly from higher tension, wherein a more deliberate effort to operate it would actually translate to easier modulation.

Gas pedal: Just like the brakes, the gas pedal tension is way too soft. As such, maintaining any sort of speed is nearly impossible, and frequently frustrating, and easily fatiguing on long drives when using cruise control is impractical. To me, this seems like an easy fix at the dealership, should Maserati choose to address it.

Steering and grip: Accurate and fairly quick steering, incredible grip. The steering is a bit numb, so I've learned that the best way to steer is with quick, small inputs, an effective technique that also works with large Audis. Driven this way, the car rarely needs any correction and will hold the intended line tenaciously.

Exhaust: Cruising at freeway speeds, the exhaust has a steady boomy drone, which gets tiring on long drives. At any speed, the exhaust rattles from 2-3k rpm. The rattle sounds like a loose heat shield, is most prominent when the car is cold, and becomes less obvious but never disappears when the car heats up. I don't know if this is a design/manufacturing flaw, or was intentional, but I'd prefer not to have it at all. Maybe it's something that my dealership can eventually address during service. As such, the most enjoyable way to drive the car is in manual mode, to keep the revs up. This turns the drone into a sweeter and less intrusive sound and makes the engine more responsive, though at the cost of fuel consumption.

B&W audio: I always listen to music when driving, sometimes at high volumes, and sometimes at lower volumes to hear the engine/exhaust better. Each time I turn on the system, I smile, thoroughly convinced I made the right choice by splurging for the B&W. That said, the speed sensitive volume feature doesn't seem very effective. And of course, the startup acceptance screen and never-sticky surround setting are minor annoyances.

Navi: I can understand people's criticism that the Garmin-sourced Navi looks unsophisticatedly mass market. That said, the system is very responsive compared to contemporary systems used by the Germans, and works very well. The first of only two real criticisms is the lack of an easier way to adjust the volume of the route guidance (or mute it entirely). The second is the poor volume balance between music and guidance; I've yet to find a volume mix wherein the guidance is neither too soft when the music is loud, or too loud when the music is soft. In contrast, I don't have this issue in the systems in German cars.

Sport setting (not Skyhook related): I wish Maserati had decoupled the exhaust from the sport mode setting. For example, in Porsches equipped with a sport exhaust, the exhaust mode can be set independently from the sport mode setting which affects the car's responsiveness. This would allow the car to be driven and enjoyed in a more lively manner, without unnecessarily advertising it to others (particularly any lawmen nearby). And as in a Porsche, I usually find the engine/exhaust sound to be very entertaining as it is in normal mode when I drive the car spiritedly.

Wow factor: Once I got to my social gathering in Sacramento, the car thrilled the guests like no other car I've been privileged to own. Pictures went up on Facebook and Instagram the whole day, and I let several groups take the car out for a spin. None of them had ever been that close to a Maserati, much less driven or ridden in one. I was more than happy to oblige, and the smiles and compliments paid were extremely gratifying.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
Sparrow650 - thanks for sharing the nice summary. I suspect once you add all the plus and minus together, the exclusivity and Maserati uniqueness tip the scales into a very satisfying ownership experience. I've had mine three months and just now with the warmer weather in Northeast starting to get the full experience with the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite right, BeerGuy. At least for the duration of my lease, I will savor all the aspects that make the Ghibli unique and charismatic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also see the same issue with the navi (with music) and it is even worth when you have a phone call and the navi wants to guide you. In this case I would expect that the navi is quite and only shows the directions in the screen between speed and rpm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great comments! ThanksI have noticed the annoying drone while test driving. You want to be quite and relaxed while cruising. Wish they can do something about it like a luxurious car in that mode. Have the exhaust note while in the sports mode.
Foot pedal spring pressure should be a no brainer. Change to a stronger spring. Hope they realize this problem and fix it,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've found that the car is much smoother on the motorway, now that I've crossed the 1K mileage mark. Have had the car for almost 2 months. The first motorway journey the exhaust was more boomy, now it sounds like a GT engine ticking over.

I think the Ghibli nav unit is fantastic. However, I'm comparing with my previous car (Ferrari FF) which actually had the a Chrysler derived unit from the generation before - I actually thought that was quite good!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Concerning the gas pedal, I understand that there have been a number of issues with the pedals and Maserati have introduced a revised pedal box. Don't know if this fixes your specific issues, but worth talking to the dealer about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
After driving the ghibli for nearly 6 months the only cars that catch my attention are jaguars and teslas. The voluptuous appeal of the ghibli is just sensational. Add to it the raspy roar. Who wants the proverbial tick rock engine sound. Try the ICE setting for less noisy ride

1 - 8 of 8 Posts