Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since last Friday, I've been looking forward to buy this car ghibli S4. I have accepted the sound system as it is, even if it's terrible, because I like the car, but there is a problem other than the flat sound.

I would like to know if everyone's got this issue, when listening to music, (other than the sound is very flat) after changing the equilizer, listening a bit loud some songs I heard a sound coming from the back, especially if the song has a lot of bass, is very annoying, it's like the plastic is crashing in the back or something.

I know no car is perfect, but I wanna now if this is a common issue.

Thank you,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since last Friday, I've been looking forward to buy this car ghibli S4. I have accepted the sound system as it is, even if it's terrible, because I like the car, but there is a problem other than the flat sound.

I would like to know if everyone's got this issue, when listening to music, (other than the sound is very flat) after changing the equilizer, listening a bit loud some songs I heard a sound coming from the back, especially if the song has a lot of bass, is very annoying, it's like the plastic is crashing in the back or something.

I know no car is perfect, but I wanna now if this is a common issue.

Thank you,
Yes, this is a common issue and one that your dealer can (largely) fix. They take the rear speaker (laughably called the subwoofer) out, insulate around it and then reseat it with better adhesives. They also do something to the rear brake light assembly since that is also part of the rattle.

I had this done about a week ago and it made a material improvement in both the rattle and the overall sound. Still not what I would call a premium radio but it does not burn my ears to listen anymore. And unless I totally peg the bass up and kick the volume up very high I do not hear the rattle. You can still hear it if you are very extreme about the bass but again what is the point? The speaker seems incapable of producing a lot of bass and so equalizing it up makes little difference.

So, long story short, call you dealer. They will fix this for you - takes just a few hours. In my case, the dealer was willing to come to me and get the car and bring it back to me to avoid hassle for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this the Premium Audio from Bowers & Wilkins setup you guys are addressing this complaint?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mine - premium, not B&W (which I have at home btw - fixed as well: problem solved completely and now I'm satisfied of the system (my previous car had a Bose-system: more 'woofer' and the premium system in my Ghible seemed less pure at the beginning, but after few time I was used to it and appreciate the warm aspect of it. Not a perfect system, but more than fair enough compared to other 'premium systems').

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you Nick007 ! Finally, one positive post about the Ghibli "premium sound system" :D
Mine will arrive on may equipped with the premium sound... :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Nick007. Has anyone had any poor experiences with their B&W Audio package?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had mine - premium, not B&W (which I have at home btw - fixed as well: problem solved completely and now I'm satisfied of the system (my previous car had a Bose-system: more 'woofer' and the premium system in my Ghible seemed less pure at the beginning, but after few time I was used to it and appreciate the warm aspect of it. Not a perfect system, but more than fair enough compared to other 'premium systems').
Your fix must have gone better than mine. I would certainly not consider the outcome comparable to other premium systems especially with respect to the richness of bass or clarity of the highs. I got acceptable performance with a steep EQ curve - really dropping the mid ranges down and leaving bass and treble at baseline. With this it is not obnoxious to listen to but still nowhere near as good as the premium (harmon pardon) in my BMW 3 series or whatever the premium sound package in my infinity is.

All that being said, I would still buy the car but maybe not pay extra for the premium system. I suspect if you took that approach and your dealer had a car in stock with the premium system you might get a discount equal to the cost of the option if you said you heard it is not worth the money...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Guys, I'm working on an aftermarket upgraded system and will run a report on it. I'm expecting to pay $2500 all said and done and will include a complete swap of all 10 speakers, insulation, an amp or two and line converter…same head unit. This should make the system even better then the B&W system and better then basically any sound system you can order from Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Best of all, nobody would know by looking at the interior it's any different then stock until they turn on the sound. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Anderson. Would you mind providing specs and necessary details in order to replicate - assuming you are happy with the results?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Guys, I'm working on an aftermarket upgraded system and will run a report on it. I'm expecting to pay $2500 all said and done and will include a complete swap of all 10 speakers, insulation, an amp or two and line converter…same head unit. This should make the system even better then the B&W system and better then basically any sound system you can order from Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Best of all, nobody would know by looking at the interior it's any different then stock until they turn on the sound. :)
Start a new thread so interested folks can subscribe plz

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's important with these types of projects is that you describe how to take apart the various interior panels without damage. Indicate all the fastener cover panel locations, places to insert prying tools, etc. If you had to fabricate any custom mounting/adapter plates, it would be great to get a shot of the adapter prior to installation. I'm hoping and praying you are not going to have to do any fiberglass work, because that's the one thing I am not comfortable doing on my own.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What's important with these types of projects is that you describe how to take apart the various interior panels without damage. Indicate all the fastener cover panel locations, places to insert prying tools, etc. If you had to fabricate any custom mounting/adapter plates, it would be great to get a shot of the adapter prior to installation. I'm hoping and praying you are not going to have to do any fiberglass work, because that's the one thing I am not comfortable doing on my own.
Nova, I have not intention of doing this work myself. There is a company that I've been referred to that handles high-end cars like Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari, etc. as commonly these cars have poor audio systems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nova, I have not intention of doing this work myself. There is a company that I've been referred to that handles high-end cars like Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari, etc. as commonly these cars have poor audio systems.
Bummer. I was hoping you were a fellow DIY kind of guy. I've stripped car interiors before to put in audio systems. But I've mostly worked with Japanese cars. I am just not looking forward to tearing apart a Maserati, nor do I really feel comfortable letting someone else do it unless they've done a lot of the same car model before. There are people out there in the trade that has no business doing so. They'll pry open a panel with a screw driver and damage it in the process and think nothing of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's exactly the reason why I think that the B&W system is good enough and that it's not worth the risk to go aftermarket unless you are really sure that you have Pro's who don't destroy the Poltrona Frau premium leather or other installations. And you need to have people who really know where to put the additional speakers, studying the inside of the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, custom audio can go bad especially in a new model car like the Ghibli. But there are pretty solid shops that specialize in high-ends and exotics. Just be sure to check their portfolio before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My guess is that this system, if done right, will be far better than the b&w system for far less money.
I agree that the so-called premium system is not very good, especially for the extra money. The ELS system in my Acura is far better. The dynaudio system in my Volvo S80 is the best I have heard in a car although the meridian system in my jag xj is very good.
Maserati should really step up their game in this regard if they want to increase sales volume and compete with bmw, Mercedes, jag, lexus, etc. at this price point, buyers expect better.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Hate to report that there is noting premium about this so called premium sound system. It has no bass flat sound. You cannot turn it up pass the 22 level or it will create bad rattle in the back (which the dealer already fixed once). You may get used to the bad sound if you only drive your Ghibli but if you have other cars then it will make you crazy every time you get back into your Ghibli.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your fix must have gone better than mine. I would certainly not consider the outcome comparable to other premium systems especially with respect to the richness of bass or clarity of the highs. I got acceptable performance with a steep EQ curve - really dropping the mid ranges down and leaving bass and treble at baseline. With this it is not obnoxious to listen to but still nowhere near as good as the premium (harmon pardon) in my BMW 3 series or whatever the premium sound package in my infinity is.

All that being said, I would still buy the car but maybe not pay extra for the premium system. I suspect if you took that approach and your dealer had a car in stock with the premium system you might get a discount equal to the cost of the option if you said you heard it is not worth the money...
Your description describes my own experience with the "subwoofer" fix.
The dealer double insulated it and it improved the bass and rattle significantly.

However, with base-rich songs, if I crank the volume and/or the bass equalizer up, I can still hear the rattle. It's more subtle now, but it's still there. It's a little annoying for a premium system but I will have to learn to live with it as I don't think there is much more the dealer can do about it.

It's not comparable to the Bose system I had on my previous Cayenne S by a long shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts