Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good luck navigating speed bumps in a Ghibli. I bottom out on 90% of the speed bumps I go over. The only thing that helps is if I come to a stop when the front wheel is 3/4 over the bump.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Still love the car

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends on your tires. On my 19's I am ok. just go slow. On 18's I am sure they are fine too. 20's or 21's are lower so be careful... That's one reason I can't understand someone wanting to make this car even lower...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think you are rubbing the black flaps right in front of the wheel wells. Not the bumper itself. It happened to me a few times. The first time I heard it, my heart almost stopped. Then I realized it is not the bumper, but the black flaps/mudguards.

I personally think the car will look better with about 1" gap between the tire and the fender. I have lowered every single one of my cars, so I am used to it and know how to manuever to avoid scrapping the bumper. I do have to agree that it is pain sometime and you still will scrap eventually.

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
I have 20" tires and must cross the speed bumps at an angles to minimize the rubbing of the flaps or underside.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, jut this past weekend I was pulling into a condo parking lot and it had a large steep transition from the road to the sidewalk and into the parking lot which I noticed so I went over it slowly but about half way I heard a loud scraping sound right under the middle of the car. It sounded nasty! First time it had happened, hopefully the last. I used a different entrance the rest of the weekend and I was fine. Also for the record there were 4 of us in the car and the trunk was packed with crap for the weekend. Had about a 1/3 tank of gas left and I'm on 20's with sport suspension.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I scrape the bottom of the car every time I go over a speed bump or enter a steep driveway.
And those black flaps scrape the ground if the round is bumby and twisty and the same time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's not the rubber flaps that I hear it is definitely in the middle of the car I am either hitting the transmission or the frame. I hope it's the frame.
It's probably the jack pads behind front wheels. They protrude through the undertray a little bit. These are lift points for the car, so while it feels jarring when they hit, it's probably nothing to worry about.

I've found that it only happens when I really slow over the speed bump. If I go a little faster, the shock/damper will prevent the nose from dropping so much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My recommendation is to NOT remove them or the car will start whistle on the freeway. I have asked the dealership and they cut them on a customer that came back and bought new once since the car started whistling like crazy :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's probably the jack pads behind front wheels. They protrude through the undertray a little bit. These are lift points for the car, so while it feels jarring when they hit, it's probably nothing to worry about.

I've found that it only happens when I really slow over the speed bump. If I go a little faster, the shock/damper will prevent the nose from dropping so much.
Jack pads- sounds a lot better. Next time, I'll repeat " only the jack pads" until I feel better. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
i always worry when i go over speed bumps. It seems if the suspension is not stiff enough and bottoms out if i go straight. I also, have to angle it. I worry the day i will drop my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts