Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports suspension vs non-sports suspension.... is the former a "must"? Hard to find..

I'm looking at classifieds and considering that a "Base" (non Q4) model is on my radar, I'm finding it almost pointless to get one with a Sports suspension as pairing it with Base/Premium/Tech packages (all musts) brings the car up to only about $4K shy (or less) than a comparably equipped Q4 (also with Sports Package).

So it seems all Base cars on dealer lots for this reason are sans Sports Package.

The BIG must is the wheels, which you can get separately of course (though some of them cost almost as much as the Sports Package) these cars just look so wrong with the base 18's. Considering the Ghibli is already such a sporty car apparently, I probably WOULD prefer non-Sports suspension in my traffic congested, pothole riddled areas for maybe a little more absorbing and quiet ride (assuming that being a Ghibli it'll still be stiffer/"louder" than my 5 Series), but what bothers me is how high the car sits with the Base suspension, i.e the huge wheel gap.

Does anyone know how much the Sports suspension lowers the car? Also, anybody else found this to be a bother to them when ordering/buying? And finally, how does the car drive with the base suspension vs the Sports suspension?

Thank you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I guess what would help for now is making an attempt to get behind the wheel of both just to experience for yourself what it's really like.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's a quote from the Maserlife forum:

Originally Posted by amr
Gentlemen, please STOP listening to the idiot sales people at the dealerships! I'm sorry to say it but a lot of the confusion should be put on Maserati NA for failing to conduct proper training.

Let's start over..... And I'm only referring to North America. With any Ghibli or Ghibli SQ4, there are THREE suspension choices:

1) Standard Suspension - normal ride height, normal shocks/springs, no electronic damping, no adjustments. This suspension is the standard and the car will NOT have the shift paddles and it will NOT have the Inox sport foot pedals.

2) Sport Suspension - this is NOT electronic. It is simply a modified standard suspension where shocks are heavier valved and springs are a bit stiffer and a little lower. There are no adjustments. In North America, you can only get the Sport Suspension if you opt for the Sport Package, which includes the suspension as well as the paddle shifters and the Inox foot pedals.

3) Skyhook Suspension - This is the electronic dampening system with an adjustment button located on the shift gate and indicated by a picture of a shock absorber. Please do NOT confuse this with the "Sport" button located also on the shift gate just above it. The "Sport" button is STANDARD in all Ghibli models and has nothing to do with the suspension. It controls throttle response, RPM, transmission shift points, and exhaust volume. In North America, cars fitted with the Skyhook Suspension ($3,100) are also equipped with the shift paddles and Inox foot pedals. Basically, it's a Sport Package car with electronic adjustable dampening instead of fixed rate dampening. As for the actual adjustments, there are only two modes "Normal" and "Sport". Again, these modes are activated by toggling the Skyhook button which has a picture of a shock absorber. In normal mode, the car rides softer similar to a standard suspension car. In Sport mode the car rides a bit stiffer similar to a Sport Suspension car.

Generally speaking, you would opt for the Skyhook if you want to be able to have a softer ride and a firmer ride when you need it. Otherwise, if you want the shifter paddles and Inox foot pedals then you get the Sport Suspension.

I hope this explains it.
2) is NOT TRUE. The SPORT SUSPENSION is variable but is mechanical. The SPORT SUSPENSION uses Koni ADAPTIVE suspension technology which means the suspension adjusts according to road conditions....broken pavement versus smooth pavement. It will also mechanically adjust based on how aggressive you are driving...if you enter a turn at high speed it will stiffen up. HOWEVER, you can not adjust this via a button or control it electronically, it will self adjust.

The SKYHOOK suspension is controlled by a button next to the gear shifter between "sport" mode and "comfort" mode. Sport mode will not be as aggressive as the aggressive setting of the Koni system in the SPORT SUSPENSION.

Original poster concurred.
see: Skyhook vs. Sports Mode - Page 3 - Maserati Forum

·
Registered
80 Posts
To K-A
The Q4 with Sport Suspension is 1 cm lower (should be 0.39 "). The Q4 is in my point of view not only the best version if you live in regions with snow and ice but as well in mild climates. There are a lot of older threats where the discussion "Skyhook or Sport Suspension" is very interesting. Just search in the forum and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.
I'm haveing now the Q4 with Sport Suspension since 2 weeks and the car is amazeing. I'm living in Switzerland so for me the Sport Susp. with a lot of wending streets was a no brainer. Depending where you live in the USA certainly Skyhook is as well a good option.
But in any way I would take the Q4: you get the most out of your car and a real Maserati with all characteristics even of a GT. I took the 20" wheels. Personally I think that is the best option because I need as well winter wheels.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I line in the city and have many speed bumps so the skyhook is rally the best money I spent. It's also flat through corners due to anti roll/pitch/damp.
I was very hesitant but am
Delighted I got it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts