Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
So how come his car became normal as soon as he turned the SB off... I might agree it might be the pedal but then if there is some 300$ part that does nothing but enhances the signal output it can be the culprit as well or maybe making the problem even worse.

Folks,

I have not had any throttle issues after I installed the Sprint Booster probably because I have only driven the Ghibli on warmer days since (one or two) the holidays.

Back in June when I first bought the car the gas pedal got stuck and I pulled it back with my foot while on the highway. Then, again in September. I went and applied velcro to my floor mats because it felt like the mats could have been stuck causing the pedal to stay engaged even when I backed off, but now I feel that was not the culprit.

I remember my wife distinctly asking me what was wrong, and why was I playing around in our neighborhood. I shrugged it off so as not to alarm her, but my internal stress meter was on high at that point.

So, my conclusion based solely on my own experience, and after reading several posts here and other places is that the pedal mechanism in the Ghibli is prone to malfunction.

·
Registered
666 Posts
@yxc145, so i did a bit of more research and found out that the Ghibli already has a DBW module instead of the old mechanical stuff for the throttle. When we say DBW it means its electronically controlled.

Having said the the DBW from FD is basically and enhancement module that optimizes the programming of the throttle control in Ghibli. Which means better gear shifting and more precise power when needed. Also the lag is there but design in the Ghibli, the DBW enhancement module basically programs is much better to eliminate that lag. Again keeping in mind i am talking about Throttle lag and not turbo lag.

Where as Sprint Booster just enhances the output so the car jumps and accelerates at a touch on the pedal.

I think the forum members not so familiar with DBW may understand it better now.
Thanks Flamgwicky.

I think most of the modern cars has DBW now. Any car that can hook the sprint booster or DBW enhancement box to it, has to be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
making an appointment

I plan to have the car checked out. I am in agreement that a $300.00 item would be the easy culprit when the vehicle suddenly adopts this behavior anew. But mine did it twice before I installed the sprint booster. if you look at the link, a gentleman with a new SQ4 had the same issue to the point where the dealership picked up the car via tow truck. I am awaiting his response regarding whether he installed a sprint booster.

I did do some research and found other examples of pedals sticking:

Stuck gas pedal scary situation!!! - Maserati Forum

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20141217004256AAMx9Th

·
Registered
164 Posts
I plan to have the car checked out. I am in agreement that a $300.00 item would be the easy culprit when the vehicle suddenly adopts this behavior anew. But mine did it twice before I installed the sprint booster. if you look at the link, a gentleman with a new SQ4 had the same issue to the point where the dealership picked up the car via tow truck. I am awaiting his response regarding whether he installed a sprint booster.

I did do some research and found other examples of pedals sticking:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20141217004256AAMx9Th
You have accelerator problems and then installed an aftermarket product?
Why? Were you looking for a way to void your warranty as well?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am surprised that people think $300 for a DBW enhancement system is cheap. Those thing probably only cost $10 to make. Most of the cost is in the engineering
I would not thinking tuning a BMW M series or Mercedes AMG is less difficult/work than a Maserati, Porsche, or Even Ferrari. But you have to pay a lot more money for anything for those "EXOTIC" cars.

I also think that bigger and more reputable tuning shops also charge more money for their parts. Are their parts better? Maybe. Maybe they have better warranty and have to charge the "insurance" money up front to cover the cost if anything happens related to their products.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well 300 is not cheap, but compare to an specialized tuner for Maserati like FD or Novitec, it is cheap. The DBWEM from FD cost around 900 bucks. But then you have to get it professionally installed and all. and it will not work with any other car.

Where as the SB or PB are all generic devices and in essence to what they really do, i would say its pretty expensive. plus all the hassle you have with an generic after market supplier...

I am surprised that people think $300 for a DBW enhancement system is cheap. Those thing probably only cost $10 to make. Most of the cost is in the engineering
I would not thinking tuning a BMW M series or Mercedes AMG is less difficult/work than a Maserati, Porsche, or Even Ferrari. But you have to pay a lot more money for anything for those "EXOTIC" cars.

I also think that bigger and more reputable tuning shops also charge more money for their parts. Are their parts better? Maybe. Maybe they have better warranty and have to charge the "insurance" money up front to cover the cost if anything happens related to their products.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sprint Booster actually is a known company that has been around for awhile. I think they may be one of the first companies that came out with the DBW enhancement module.
A few years ago, I bought a Burger tuning module for my BMW 5 series. It cost $450 and took me 30 minutes to install it. If you get a DINAN chip and install it by their authorized shop, it will probably cost $3000 min.
Are those big name shops better? Better be! for the amount of money they charge. But are they really that much better, I am not sure.

It is like buying a Sony compare to a Vizio (comparing the same spec, of course).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally Posted by babakweberI was having really bad experience with my sprint booster !! it locked my throttle wide open twice and i was about to having really bad accident !!!
i lost control on the middle of busy street and i didn't know why my car is acting like that. second time it locked my throttle wide open on the highway, i was accelerating crazy without pushing the pedal !!!! i will call them tomorrow.
i had it for 3 months and it was good.now it is kind a scary !!!!
Hi babakweber,

I’m sorry to hear about this experience! I’d like to encourage you to take your vehicle to an authorized Maserati dealership to have it diagnosed as soon as possible. If you need help doing that, I would be happy to locate your nearest dealer and set up a service appointment for you. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance or if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Erica (MaseratiCares)

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
you need to clarify what happened.

1. did you push the gas pedal in, then when you removed you foot, the pedal never returned to its normal resting position? ie it got stuck half way down?

if this is the case, then it has nothing to do with any DBW or SB. its simply a case of a faulty pedal. the only thing that controls the movement of the pedal is your foot. you push it down, the car moves. you remove your foot and it should spring back to normal. if it dont return to normal then its a "mechanical" failure... a DBW or SB send signals to the ECU, it does NOT have the ability to control the movement of the pedal in or out. if the pedals fails to move to its proper position its mechanical not electronic.

2. you push the pedal down, the car moves forward, then you remove your foot and the pedal returns to its normal resting position, yet the car still continues to move. if your pedal was 100% in its full resting position and the car was accelerating then i would say you have an "electronic" failure. and possibly related to the SB or DBW.

so the real question is - what position was your pedal in while your car was accelerating? was the pedal stuck halfway, or was it in full rest position? this is very important to know.

if you take your car to dealer they will automatically blame the SB, which may not be the case.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Very good observation.

you need to clarify what happened.

1. did you push the gas pedal in, then when you removed you foot, the pedal never returned to its normal resting position? ie it got stuck half way down?

if this is the case, then it has nothing to do with any DBW or SB. its simply a case of a faulty pedal. the only thing that controls the movement of the pedal is your foot. you push it down, the car moves. you remove your foot and it should spring back to normal. if it dont return to normal then its a "mechanical" failure... a DBW or SB send signals to the ECU, it does NOT have the ability to control the movement of the pedal in or out. if the pedals fails to move to its proper position its mechanical not electronic.

2. you push the pedal down, the car moves forward, then you remove your foot and the pedal returns to its normal resting position, yet the car still continues to move. if your pedal was 100% in its full resting position and the car was accelerating then i would say you have an "electronic" failure. and possibly related to the SB or DBW.

so the real question is - what position was your pedal in while your car was accelerating? was the pedal stuck halfway, or was it in full rest position? this is very important to know.

if you take your car to dealer they will automatically blame the SB, which may not be the case.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All,

here is a thread from another forum about this subject. I skimmed through and did not see mention of Sprint Booster.

The dealer is saying that you need to make sure to clip the carpet to the clips in the floorboard because mechanically, everything is working fine and operational.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ye p read that thread on the maserati forum.. happened to me years ago on my lovely CAMRY!! ..lol..
Thanks for sharing the link!

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli S, Racechip XLR & GTS-Black
4 Posts
Guys one is just a signal booster so it does nothing except boosting the signal your throttle response sends out. For example half pedal down might relay to 75% pedal down, so the car will pick up more quickly.

Where as DBW does all of it and more but it does not do it by boosting the signal. It achieves it by tuning and programming control settings.

If you want to understand more about SprintBooster Here is a link

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf

Its Conclusion is

Conclusions
The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal
sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal more sensitive. It does not eliminate
any significant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration
figures. It does not change the adaptive throttle control programming of
electronic throttle control vehicles. It does change pedal “feel”. This change in
feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle response, acceleration, and a
change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually
does, it is expensive.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts