Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So made a concentrated effort today to identify the Brembo calipers that come on our SQ4 cross platform to find pad alternatives. I seriously doubt Brembo made these specifically for our Ghibli so when checking with pad manufacturers I should be able to find an alternative vehicle model pad that would work with our kit.

Turns out we share the same brake caliper as the Lexus ISF. I picked up these Wagner full ceramic pads the shop had around and tried installing and gave it a whirl. Worked perfectly. Obviously, there's no built in brake sensor, but as our brake sensor isn't the traditional breaking circuit at low pad depth type of sensor, rather when ground contact is made single wire, there wasn't even a need to plug in a sensor (which is only on the driver side, not passenger side even).

The Wagner pads were just a choice based off convenience, but now that I can target pads made for ISF, it broadens my search parameters. No more brake dust for me :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do all the ISFs use the same pad? I just looked up Stoptech pads for the ISF and they're only $95! I've used Stoptech pads before and was VERY pleased with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see a GSF and an IS model on the Lexus website, but not an ISF. I went to edmunds.com and looked at the various Lexus models, and it looks like the last model year for the ISF was in 2014. I wonder if the GSF uses the same calipers and pads? If it does then that would be one more make and model that could be searched on for equivalent pads.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Akebono, ebc, stoptech, centric, etc all have pads for isf. We think it's the same caliper as the E63 also, but need more testing to confirm. Either way, there are now much more options.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey AZ,
You didn't specify if the cross-platform fiitment applies to the front, back, or both ends. Can you clarify for us?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We only fit the front. Didn't have as many rear pads at the shop for us to experiment with, but we ordered a set of rear ISF pads and will be testing when they arrive and I can carve out time to go install.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but you confirm the front fits right...right?
Yes. I have the pad in the image on in first post on the front right now. Slightly less bite than original, but to be expected from fully ceramic. Brakes good enough though for daily driving.

And I've got white wheels, so anything I can do to reduce brake dust is a big plus :D

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
An equally important factor is making sure the compound being used can provide adequate stopping power for your car. If a certain pad fits a particular car, the next step is matching the friction compound. Take BMW for example, you can buy Mintex pads for $35, or you can buy Brembo for $500, they both fit, but perform very differently. You will most definitely want to make sure the friction compound on the pad is quality grade.

Pads are rated / priced by friction compound and how well they can control heat and stop your car. The friction compound is also matched to your car's HP and Gross Weight. You would not want pads that have a poor heat rating on your Ghibli. You would not want pads that are built to stop a 1000lb car, on your 4000lb car.

The compound used on the pad is by far the biggest factor in pricing, the backing plate is irrelevant when determining cost.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An equally important factor is making sure the compound being used can provide adequate stopping power for your car. If a certain pad fits a particular car, the next step is matching the friction compound. Take BMW for example, you can buy Mintex pads for $35, or you can buy Brembo for $500, they both fit, but perform very differently. You will most definitely want to make sure the friction compound on the pad is quality grade.

Pads are rated / priced by friction compound and how well they can control heat and stop your car. The friction compound is also matched to your car's HP and Gross Weight. You would not want pads that have a poor heat rating on your Ghibli. You would not want pads that are built to stop a 1000lb car, on your 4000lb car.

The compound used on the pad is by far the biggest factor in pricing, the backing plate is irrelevant when determining cost.
100% agree with this. Good thing ISF has similar hp (416vs 404) and curb weight (3,737vs4,122) so it's an apt comparison when researching. Fitment was simply step one in the process to narrow the field.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, confirmed the rear are not the IS-F rear pads. Upon further examination, it looks like the calipers are the same as the rear on a Tesla S P85 when comparing to the one in the shop. We're ordering those pads and will give it a shot... probably sometime this week. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So thr front is Same as isf for 6 piston brake system, rear are same on 4 piston and 6 piston systems,Or theres a difference ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Front are 6 piston, rear are 4.

Also want to stress for those who skim messages, this is confirmed for an SQ4. Regular base model has different brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Front are 6 piston, rear are 4.

Also want to stress for those who skim messages, this is confirmed for an SQ4. Regular base model has different brakes.
Thnks alot mate, i was jst about to change brakepads, keep us updated on ur choice of pads n performance

1 - 20 of 93 Posts