Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I know earlier in the thread it was mentioned the the pad discussion was for an SQ4 - would the non-OEM pad options discussed also fit a 2017 Ghibli S?

Just planning ahead. My 2017 S is a daily driver only and the brake dust is insane. Combined with the outrageous cost of the dealership doing the brakes when the time comes, just trying to learn about different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send me an email and we can take care of everything you may need for the S model. We carry every OE factory part at prices you won't see at any dealership. We also have aftermarket parts that meet or exceed OEM specs, still get quality and performance at half the cost of Genuine.

Not all pads are equal, a manufacturer can put any compound on the pad backplate they want, all compounds are heat rated and specific to the HP on a car. You wouldn't want a set of pads that is rated for 200hp if your car is 400hp. The pads may look the same but they certainly are not going to perform the same. Some are also very harsh on rotors and will cause a replacement each time pads are changed.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Hi, If I change my break pads myself wouldn't I need to bleed the brakes?

Thanks
No. But like Toshy said if you have to ask that question it's prob not a good idea to be messing with them.

Granted it's an easy job, it's also easy to make a mistake by removing the wrong thing or not torquing the bolts back to spec properly etc. If not done properly bolts can easily back out. I know someone who loosened wrong bolts, didn't tighten properly and 1 month later his caliper came off while driving and jammed itself into the rotor locking the brakes up suddenly.

Labor to changed pads is about $100. If you don't understand what needs to be done I advise you to just pay someone since any mistake will cost a lot more than the $100 labor. Any mechanic at any garage can do the work. No need to go to the dealer and spend thousands for the same work.

If you need the parts, email me, email is in signature. We carry all Ferrari and Maserati parts, and we beat dealer pricing by a mile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Dealership had told me that my brake pads are low. I was told that I should replace the rotors too. I only have 28,000KM's on the car. I don't drive recklessly. I've read around and I see different opinions if the rotors need to be changed or not with the pads. I will be returning the car after my lease in 8 months, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. The Dealership told me that new pads on old rotors will be very noisy as the pads have not been "bedded".

What are the options of people whom only changed out the pads and not rotors. Is there a lot of noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You shouldn't need new rotors just because you need new brake pads.
How many miles are on the existing rotors/pads? What kind of driving did you do on them?

Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
You shouldn't need new rotors just because you need new brake pads.
How many miles are on the existing rotors/pads? What kind of driving did you do on them?

Ron
29,xxx kilometres. City driving. Pretty laidback driving. Just got a set of ceramics from Tom (DG Eurosport) on here. Will try to install them this weekend and will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the thing with rotors is that they wear away quite a bit, leaving a large ridge on the inside and outside. this ridge will end up cutting into the brake pad backing plate quite a few mm's sooner than a fresh rotor would. also, if you look at your rotors and see grooves or a wavy face, it can effect pad performance initially until the new pads bed in on the old rotor catywompus surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed front Wagner & rear Powerstop ceramics about 1 week ago.
No reason to spend the $ on the OEM's...These are fine for normal daily street driving.
Do you mind me asking where you ordered them from? I desperately need to change the pads out on my car, but it seems a bit complicated finding replacement pads that aren't OEM.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I got the Wagners from Carid.com. They were sku #36570388 . $40.54 delivered.
The Powerstops I can't find the receipt for, but I searched for ceramics for the lexus IS F and ordered that way.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the Wagners from Carid.com. They were sku #36570388 . $40.54 delivered.
The Powerstops I can't find the receipt for, but I searched for ceramics for the lexus IS F and ordered that way.

Ron
Thank you! I noticed earlier in this thread that it was mentioned that the front pads match the Lexus IS F, however the rears actually match the Tesla Model S P85. I'm guessing that was incorrect since you got the rears from the IS F as well?

·
Registered
289 Posts
NO, you are correct & I reversed it. Sorry.
The Powerstops were for the Tesla.

The Powerstops were like $30 delivered or something.

Ron

·
Registered
80 Posts
This forum saved me a fortune.

Rotors slightly grooved at 45k, but I'm going to run them anyway.

A cheap harbor freight regulator makes bleeding the brakes easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
great post fellas.

Anyone has replaced pads on the 2014 base model Ghibli ?? I know Wagner makes rear pads But how about the front??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you! I noticed earlier in this thread that it was mentioned that the front pads match the Lexus IS F, however the rears actually match the Tesla Model S P85. I'm guessing that was incorrect since you got the rears from the IS F as well?

I'm looking for rear pads. Do you have part numbers for a 2017 S Q4?

·
Registered
49 Posts
just a word of warning on "economy brake pads", and this is my own experience. I once got lazy and put in some pads from Kragen to the rear calipers before an HPDE event. It took just a few laps and as I came down the hill and braked for chicane, i felt the brake pedal gave in a bit, a puff of black smoke came out and behind. I pulled off the track safely to see what happened. Turned out the new rear brakes pads were completely disintegrated and nothing but back plate remained. Luckily my rotors were new and the pads didn't fall out or i'd had lost all brake into chicane! ( and a fence not too far after )

Lesson learned, "economy" parts may not be economy solution. They may work, but may not be dependable.

The Ghibli has a lot horses and weight, please give it some good pads. Stay safe.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts