Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
just a word of warning on "economy brake pads", and this is my own experience. I once got lazy and put in some pads from Kragen to the rear calipers before an HPDE event. It took just a few laps and as I came down the hill and braked for chicane, i felt the brake pedal gave in a bit, a puff of black smoke came out and behind. I pulled off the track safely to see what happened. Turned out the new rear brakes pads were completely disintegrated and nothing but back plate remained. Luckily my rotors were new and the pads didn't fall out or i'd had lost all brake into chicane! ( and a fence not too far after )

Lesson learned, "economy" parts may not be economy solution. They may work, but may not be dependable.

The Ghibli has a lot horses and weight, please give it some good pads. Stay safe.
Agree with you 100%
Car is heavy + OEM pads is a good idea.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
322 Posts
Agreed, it's a heavy car and there are currently a lot of budget pads going around that aren't well suited for the Ghibli. Several companies offer budget pads that seem to fit but they aren't built properly for the car. If you need any help, please feel free to reach out to us. We have options for both factory pads as well as Quiet, Low Dust Pads and Sport Pads that are all well tested on the Ghibli and built to perform for you.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
281 Posts
So I am looking for new front ceramic brake pads since I did new rotors. It seems the Wagners I got previously aren't made any more & Wagner said they don't have a replacement.

Has anyone done any NON OEM pads (Ceramic) for the fronts or know what will fit?

Thanks!

Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I am looking for new front ceramic brake pads since I did new rotors. It seems the Wagners I got previously aren't made any more & Wagner said they don't have a replacement.

Has anyone done any NON OEM pads (Ceramic) for the fronts or know what will fit?

Thanks!

Ron
Duralast Gold makes a compatible set of ceramic pads. The fronts are DG1365 and are spec'd for a Lexus IS F which is within a couple hundred pounds of the Ghibli and equally powerful. The rears are DG1428 and are spec'd for a Telsa Model S, so again similar weight and power. Autozone carries them. I believe a few members here on the board have used this combo.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I ended up getting these for the fronts and they fit fine.
Power Stop Z23-1365 Z23 Evolution...
They're carbon ceramic pads.
Ron

·
Registered
281 Posts
You shouldn't need new rotors just because you need new brake pads.
How many miles are on the existing rotors/pads? What kind of driving did you do on them?

Ron
I'd like to amend this statement. If you get new pads you should at least have your rotors resurfaced at the same time, if the rotors still have enough material left on them.

Reason being, if the old pads left deposits on the rotor or if the rotor is not true, the new pads will not touch the rotor surface fully and they will wear improperly and get ruined.

Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you use non oem brakes how do you address the brake wear sensors? Do you just cruise around with a status message? Cheers..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, confirmed the rear are not the IS-F rear pads. Upon further examination, it looks like the calipers are the same as the rear on a Tesla S P85 when comparing to the one in the shop. We're ordering those pads and will give it a shot... probably sometime this week. Stay tuned.
All: I'm new to the forum and have read this entire thread (a few times now) and it's extremely helpful!! I have a '14 SQ4 and curious to know if the front and rear rotors also match up for an IS-F (front) and Telsa S P85 (rear)? I couldn't find specific comments on rotors.

For example, when searching for front pads for 2014 IS-F on the Autozone site (just out of curiousity), I was surprised to find Brembo brand ceramic pads for $88. It of course links to corresponding Brembo brand rotors ($122) that also match the 2014 IS-F. Does anyone have experience with Brembo ceramic pads AND rotors, matching the '14 IS-F? And same for the rear? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dr.Ron - I have a 2017 Ghibli with 29k miles on it and have replaced my front rotors and pads twice already. My car is used for daily driving, not track use. The dealer told me this is something I have to do about every 10k miles. Is there any aftermarket pads that last longer or can I at least just replace the pads and not the rotors every time?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dr.Ron - I have a 2017 Ghibli with 29k miles on it and have replaced my front rotors and pads twice already. My car is used for daily driving, not track use. The dealer told me this is something I have to do about every 10k miles. Is there any aftermarket pads that last longer or can I at least just replace the pads and not the rotors every time?
I daily drive mine also, but it depends on your driving style as to how often you'll need to replace. 10K sounds fast though I'd think. Try going easier on the brake pedal! lol

As I mentioned above, if you change pads and the rotors are decent you should likely at least get them resurfaced so the new pads have a clean and even surface to mate up to. I changed pads once and not rotors (did not resurface the rotors) and the rotors wore the new pads unevenly. I ended up having to swap pads AND rotors (the rotors were shot at that point though).

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 15' Ghibli SQ4 NM Edition with 23K miles and, this week, I had to bite the bullet and replace the pads & rotors. Maserati quoted me $2700 (including install) for the OEM pads/rotors but I decided to hold off for a few days to do some research first -- which is when I found the Ghibli forum.

I reviewed this entire thread and there were definitely some good options mentioned. I considered using the pads from the Lexus & the Tesla as a last-resort option but I wasn't a huge fan of that plan due to the pads not having the embedded sensor. I also looked through Rockauto.com and found some options there as well; while they did have pads with the sensors, I would've had to mix & match manufacturers to buy everything I needed.

I was beginning to feel a bit defeated (and almost called my local Maserati dealership to schedule the appointment) when I decided to take a longshot and run a search on eBay. As I suspected, there were several full pad/rotor packages available but all of them looked like crap... except for one. I didn't see a brand name on the ad but the pads/rotors looked like the OEM ones and the seller (Alpine Performance) had good reviews.

Figuring it was worth investigating, I found Alpine's # on google and gave them a call. The owner, Luke, answered the phone and I explained how I found him and what I was looking for. Turns out, Luke's company has been manufacturing pads & rotors for Bentleys and Rolls Royce's for years, and he's now expanded to other exotic brands... including the Maserati Ghibli SQ4!! But, wait... it get's better. Luke explained that his semi-metallic pads and cross-drilled/slotted rotors are made to meet the standards set by Bentley and RR, which means their lifecycle is FAR greater to what the OEM Brembo pads/rotors are.

Luke's price was $850 for the entire front/rear pad & rotor set plus $150 in shipping. Also saw he had the Ghibli oil filter for $30 so I jumped on that deal, too. I received the pads/rotors three days later and just had them installed today for $225. My mechanic said they went in perfectly and, although I've only put 10-15 miles on them thus far, the brakes are whisper quiet and they're WAY more responsive than they've ever been.

In total, I spent $1225 for a full pad/rotor package and install -- saving myself $1500! Really looking forward to putting some miles on these babies over the next 3 months. I'll be sure to report back to let everyone know how they're holding up.

BTW, this probably sounds like a sales ad (lol) but I can assure you that's not my intention. No BS... when I got that call from Maserati right after Xmas telling me I needed $2700 in brakes/rotors and $1300 in tires, I kind of had a mini-freak-out moment. I'm glad I found the much better deal but it'll be a while before I learn whether I made the right decision or not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That price for the parts is not bad at all.
You can do it yourself with a few basic tools. It's a lot easier then you'd think!

Youtube!

Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed, it's a heavy car and there are currently a lot of budget pads going around that aren't well suited for the Ghibli. Several companies offer budget pads that seem to fit but they aren't built properly for the car. If you need any help, please feel free to reach out to us. We have options for both factory pads as well as Quiet, Low Dust Pads and Sport Pads that are all well tested on the Ghibli and built to perform for you.

Best Regards,
Dude... you have pads on your site for $600 and $700 dollars... stop the nonsense... I can't even imagine the margin on those... These are a wear item, you can get a complete set of OEM or EBC pads for under $300.

·
Registered
79 Posts
our cars are very heavy for its appearance.
case in point - a Ghibli SQ4 with a full tank of gas is HEAVIER than a Levante on empty.

but seeing some of you guys replace pads at 10k? my previous car (not a Maserati, but still "fast") lasted 75k...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well this isn't good news as I once had an Audi RS5 that needed new brakes every 8-10k for most people, I extended it out to 14k, and the price was about the same - $2800. If I'd known this beforehand I might not have purchased the 2015 Ghibli SQ4 that I just did. I want to use my car as a daily driver and I'm usually very light on the brakes but I don't want to be replacing brakes at this pricing every year.

Dmass85, thanks for the foot work you've done as I might just be following down that same path.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well this isn't good news as I once had an Audi RS5 that needed new brakes every 8-10k for most people, I extended it out to 14k, and the price was about the same - $2800. If I'd known this beforehand I might not have purchased the 2015 Ghibli SQ4 that I just did. I want to use my car as a daily driver and I'm usually very light on the brakes but I don't want to be replacing brakes at this pricing every year.

Dmass85, thanks for the foot work you've done as I might just be following down that same path.
I ordered factory pads and rotors and got all the parts off ebay for about 1K and did the install myself... super easy.

PIC: http://www.cloudyip.net/images/mbinstall.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 15' Ghibli SQ4 NM Edition with 23K miles and, this week, I had to bite the bullet and replace the pads & rotors. Maserati quoted me $2700 (including install) for the OEM pads/rotors but I decided to hold off for a few days to do some research first -- which is when I found the Ghibli forum.

I reviewed this entire thread and there were definitely some good options mentioned. I considered using the pads from the Lexus & the Tesla as a last-resort option but I wasn't a huge fan of that plan due to the pads not having the embedded sensor. I also looked through Rockauto.com and found some options there as well; while they did have pads with the sensors, I would've had to mix & match manufacturers to buy everything I needed.

I was beginning to feel a bit defeated (and almost called my local Maserati dealership to schedule the appointment) when I decided to take a longshot and run a search on eBay. As I suspected, there were several full pad/rotor packages available but all of them looked like crap... except for one. I didn't see a brand name on the ad but the pads/rotors looked like the OEM ones and the seller (Alpine Performance) had good reviews.

Figuring it was worth investigating, I found Alpine's # on google and gave them a call. The owner, Luke, answered the phone and I explained how I found him and what I was looking for. Turns out, Luke's company has been manufacturing pads & rotors for Bentleys and Rolls Royce's for years, and he's now expanded to other exotic brands... including the Maserati Ghibli SQ4!! But, wait... it get's better. Luke explained that his semi-metallic pads and cross-drilled/slotted rotors are made to meet the standards set by Bentley and RR, which means their lifecycle is FAR greater to what the OEM Brembo pads/rotors are.

Luke's price was $850 for the entire front/rear pad & rotor set plus $150 in shipping. Also saw he had the Ghibli oil filter for $30 so I jumped on that deal, too. I received the pads/rotors three days later and just had them installed today for $225. My mechanic said they went in perfectly and, although I've only put 10-15 miles on them thus far, the brakes are whisper quiet and they're WAY more responsive than they've ever been.

In total, I spent $1225 for a full pad/rotor package and install -- saving myself $1500! Really looking forward to putting some miles on these babies over the next 3 months. I'll be sure to report back to let everyone know how they're holding up.

BTW, this probably sounds like a sales ad (lol) but I can assure you that's not my intention. No BS... when I got that call from Maserati right after Xmas telling me I needed $2700 in brakes/rotors and $1300 in tires, I kind of had a mini-freak-out moment. I'm glad I found the much better deal but it'll be a while before I learn whether I made the right decision or not.
So,
You've had the car for about a month now. How much difference do you feel between this "ebay" OEM and the originals that came with the car?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far, so good!! I'm a month into the "ebay" OEM rotors and pads and everything is performing perfectly. Stops quick, no squeaking, and no irregular wear. Super happy with the purchase!

61 - 80 of 95 Posts