Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if switching the engine ECU from an SQ4 into a base model would essentially eliminate the need for a software tune, and give the base version the same HP and Torque of the SQ4. I am sure that it can't be this easy.

Any thoughts on this.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Theoretically, I would say Yes. Since they are the same engine. And there is no difference on the instake and exhaust system. But... like you said, it can't be that easy..... OR maybe it is!!

Anyway, I have the S Q4, so I don't have to think about that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was perusing eBay and saw one for sale. This of course, put the idea into my head. I'm sure that a dealership would have to program the ECU to the car, but if it's possible, I wouldn't see a reason to look at an aftermarket solution when they become available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
863 Posts
See the issue is not just the ECU, there are other things with the Sq4 which makes it different like the brakes the suspension etc.

So in my opinion even if you put in the ECU and it works and now you have a 410 hp Maserati the problem is how the rest of the base car will react to these changes. Esp for the brakes and all.

There is a difference when they made it base and SQ4 and i dont think the difference is just because of a ECU.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See the issue is not just the ECU, there are other things with the Sq4 which makes it different like the brakes the suspension etc.

So in my opinion even if you put in the ECU and it works and now you have a 410 hp Maserati the problem is how the rest of the base car will react to these changes. Esp for the brakes and all.

There is a difference when they made it base and SQ4 and i dont think the difference is just because of a ECU.
The biggest difference between the 2 cars is HP and All Wheel Drive. Yes the brakes are a little larger. In the future there will be software hacks for both cars that will increase torque and HP. My thoughts were, to switch out the ECU with a FACTORY part and accomplish the same thing for the base model cars....

For the base model cars, it would give the additional 60HP using factory issued parts instead of aftermarket. This may even be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
The biggest difference between the 2 cars is HP and All Wheel Drive. Yes the brakes are a little larger. In the future there will be software hacks for both cars that will increase torque and HP. My thoughts were, to switch out the ECU with a FACTORY part and accomplish the same thing for the base model cars....

For the base model cars, it would give the additional 60HP using factory issued parts instead of aftermarket. This may even be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.....
When I think it cannot be that simple, I also think it is possible. S Q4 is $10K more than the base model. Brembo big brake probably cost a couple K more. The 4 wheel drive system probably is 3-5K more. So that means the ECU is probably a couple of thousands, too. Which is probably similar price to an aftermarket tune.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
There is a similar question on this forum somewhere. Also mentioned was a difference in engine cooler for the "S" version.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that the S variant of the engine has difference camshafts and higher flow or higher pressure fuel injectors. I think it was in the Ghibli sales brochure but I can't find mine at the moment to verify.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts