Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Don't post here much but I have been driving my Ghibli a little bit this winter because it has been so mild in Upstate NY this year. Three times when I have gone out to the garage to start the car in the morning, this morning again, it will not start when I push the start button while depressing the brake. The only way to start the car is by using the fob in remote start mode and then getting in the vehicle and pushing the start button. I did it again this morning and now the check engine light is on and I believe I may have fouled the plugs? Has anyone experienced this or am I doing something wrong that is causing this issue? Any help would be appreciated, I bought the vehicle from a dealership more than 150 miles away so hoping to avoid a trip down there if I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a guess, but you may have an issue with a low battery charge. With a near depleted battery, the fob will start the car but not the ignition button. You also get weird warning messages. Infrequent use or short trips can deplete the battery. Any local garage can test your battery and re-charging it can be done with the CTEK tender or a regular battery charger. I have the CTEK tender and use it weekly since I drive mostly shorter trips in cold weather.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same problem last week after the car sat for three weeks. It's a low battery. The explanation from the dealer is that, when you press the button, all the computers power up and then the starter. With the key fob, the engine starts first, then the computers. I don't know if this is accurate but I had the same problem which was resolved by charging the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen,
That sounds accurate because it was sitting for a couple of weeks since I drove it last, I have a battery tender that I used for my snowmobiles but don't think that will work. I will purchase a tender to leave in the garage, hopefully after charging the check engine light goes off but if not I may need to visit the dealer. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the CEL was caused by the low battery, it should clear after 3 starting cycles if it doesn't notice the same problem again.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
not sure why you guys need to use battery tenders. my car recently sat for 5-6 weeks without being started here in the COLD northeast. the car fired right up after sitting though, no problem.

i think sometimes you need to push the brake harder. there have been a few times where it seemed dead, but pushing the brake with force woke the car up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your car probably started just fine because you had a full charge before storing it for 5-6 weeks. I think short trips between stop/starts is the issue. In shorter trips, the alternator doesn't run long enough to fully recharge the battery. With repeated short trips, the battery gets lower and lower since you are using more power than you are putting back in.

Deep discharges kill battery cells and shortens battery life. Using a tender to keep the charge near full can extend a batteries lifespan 3-4 times over not using a tender. Hey, Jay Leno uses the CTEK charger on all his cars!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved, that was it and the CEL is now off, put my battery tender on it last night and it fired up this morning and the light is now off. Thanks for all of your quick help, looks like the battery tender is going to stay on it now. Mine is not a CTEK, but one I purchased at my SkiDoo dealership for my sleds, it has a charge and storage mode that it cycles into after charging.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a few times now, when starting from the remote, the car starts and instantly turns off - and i have to get in the car (dash displays "remote start canceled") and start with the button in the car.... anyone else have this issue? it is random, most of the times, it is fine...

·
Registered
324 Posts
a few times now, when starting from the remote, the car starts and instantly turns off - and i have to get in the car (dash displays "remote start canceled") and start with the button in the car.... anyone else have this issue? it is random, most of the times, it is fine...
Auto Start will shut off after about 15 minutes. It will also shut off earlier if gas is on the low side. Those are the ones I noticed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same issue. Ive never been able to use the remote start. It starts then shuts off after a couple seconds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My car has not started twice now. Waited a few minutes, tried again a few times and it eventually started. This is my DD and had not been in storage.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
My car has not started twice now. Waited a few minutes, tried again a few times and it eventually started. This is my DD and had not been in storage.
It's possible the battery is getting weak ... I expect your car was built in 2013 and some of those early batteries took a little abuse before coming to states. I know the brake requires quite a bit of power to engage the safety to start the car ... wonder if that could be part of it. A few folks have a good battery but if you don't press hard enough on the brake is seems to lock out the start; waited a few minutes and everything was fine.

I haven't had this happen yet, and I use a battery tender if not driving the car for a couple weeks.

I do think my battery is getting weaker ... just by watching how the intelligent charger is operating and a few other queues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem solved, that was it and the CEL is now off, put my battery tender on it last night and it fired up this morning and the light is now off. Thanks for all of your quick help, looks like the battery tender is going to stay on it now. Mine is not a CTEK, but one I purchased at my SkiDoo dealership for my sleds, it has a charge and storage mode that it cycles into after charging.
I have this issue with my car i also live in new york and i am honestly disappointed in the performance of maserati this issue is so embarrassing when out in public and you have to step out the car start it with the key then let your passengers in. I replaced my battery with a more powerful diehard battery and i drive my car long distance everyday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts