Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, thanks for letting me in. I'm new to the Ghibli, but have had a 3200GT in the past and I also own a 4200 Gransport.

This afternoon I decided to fit some Focal ISU165 speaker to replace the stock ones (2014 Ghibli Diesel). My car has the base stereo,

I don't want to rip the head unit out of the dash at this time, so can anyone tell me if the wiring to the door and to the dash top tweeters is direct to the connector on the back of the head unit? (There is no low pass filter I can see on the door wiring, and the tweeter has a small capacitor on the back to act as a high pass.)

Reason for asking is that having fitted the drivers door, it sounds crap. Like the feeds to the door speakers already have some inductive filters on them or something which interferes with the focal crossover.

Does anyone know the answer here please? Or better still have a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
229 Posts
Following as I am thinking of doing the same. I though that Focal and JBL's were plug and play because HK makes them. Maybe the base system is different than the Premium HK option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m not sure about the base unit but I know that the HK has very specific equalization (as is the case with most high end car stereos) and that simply changing speakers will end up sounding like sh#t. You have to get an equalizing signal processor like an Audison bitone to régularise the signal, followed by an aftermarket amp (Focals need a lot of quality power to sound good). You have to go full tilt or nothing at all in order to improve the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, having got both in, these speakers are much less efficient than the cheap OEM ones. (The cheap OEM ones are the same as what came out of my son's Alfa Mito! So same speakers whether you spend £15k or £50k!) The Focals don't go loud and maybe produce a bit less deep bass, but what they do produce (with the fader set for front only) is a much cleaner sound with no harshness until you turn it up and the amp starts to clip/distort. Thats not very lound at all. If you move the fader to the back (where I have not yet fitted Focals), the volume is about double, but the sound is awfully scratchy!

So I'm going to fit a JL Audio XD 400/4 and an active Focal Sub.

Shall report back in a few weeks when its all in. I will see how much of the equalising I can defeat with the graphic in my phone, as I was quite successful with this in my last car, which also had a low end roll off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts