Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got my car serviced for a steering pump failure ...
it was almost impossible to turn left without forcing the steering wheel, Here is the weird meowing sound I had around 1700 rpm before service - > what could make that noise ? :

After Service, they say they removed and replaced the pump but I still find the steering wheel a bit stiff and have a strange noise around 1700 rpm, even if way nore subtle :

Any Idea on What part of the engine could make this noise ? transmission ? steering ?

thanks all - I really think I need to come back again to the dealer to have my car checked... Any advice and ideas would be really appreciated :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi,
Difficult to troubleshoot remotely.
Could be a bearing, either tensioner or idling pulley.
Check that they put enough oil and the right one in the steering gear.
Could be alternator or water pump bearing.

The only way to locate the sound is to use a mechanic's stethoscope.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Difficult to troubleshoot remotely.
Could be a bearing, either tensioner or idling pulley.
Check that they put enough oil and the right one in the steering gear.
Could be alternator or water pump bearing.

The only way to locate the sound is to use a mechanic's stethoscope.
Merci Fred,
I will pay a particular attention but opening the hood doesn't help to localise so far, I can hear it better from the car interior.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I hope it's not the converter.
Have had any oil leak on the gearbox?

One this you could check is the steering oil tank, on the petrol models it looks very similar to the Alfa 159's, which was known for having problems with its tank.
Open the tank with the engine running and look inside if you can see an "oil storm" inside the tank, this could mean that some air is actually being mixed with the oil thus creating a noise in the pump.

There is baffle inside the tank, make sure the oil level is above the baffle with the engine running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts