Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that a few people are unhappy with their dealer but I have to say that the Morries Maserati in the Twin Cities have done right by me. Like a number of people, I have had problems with the subwoofer issue. I brought the car in twice to get it fixed and neither time did it work. I was called shortly after that for a satisfaction survey and I expressed my unhappiness with the outcome. A couple of days later, they proactively called me and offered another session with the car. I brought it in with a couple of songs on an SD card that could effortlessly recreate the issue. They spent the equivalent of two days trying over and over again to get the right combinations of insulation and dynamat to make it work perfectly and not impact the bass output. At the same time, they installed the waste gate clips (which is now apparently an official campaign for anybody else who is bothered by the fluttering sound under the dash).

I got the car back yesterday and the results were amazing. Even pushing enough bass to sound more "ghetto" than this car would ever deserve, I could not get the rattle to come back. Overall, the sound is a LOT better. And on top of that there is nothing but the roar of the exhaust when I accelerate as the fluttering noise and other rattles on the back end of the car are gone!

Very happy and quite impressed with the tenacity of my dealer. They worked tirelessly to ensure that my experience was that of a premium product.

·
Administrator
2,416 Posts
Agree. There has not been one new car that I have owned that didn't have some type of problem that needed to be fixed. It is all about the dealership and how they respond which creates the proper experience.

Reactions: sverzi and Mangirek

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
That's great news to hear. Sounds like most dealerships are figuring out how to resolve the small recurring issues many of us have been having. I definitely have a higher level of comfort now knowing this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you elaborate on the waste gate clips?
Yes the waste gate clip is now a official campaign (don't know which number but your dealer should). That means that it is a routine approved repair that they should do if you bring the car in for anything else. With this campaign applied, the car does not make the fluttering sounds under the dash when the engine is at the RPM range of 1500 to 2500. Something was apparently loose that vibrated at the RPM level and now it is perfectly silent. I did not realize how much that noise annoyed me until now that it is gone.

Between this and the fix for the subwoofer issue, I am totally without complaints about the car. It's the car I hoped for!

·
Registered
30 Posts
cfelbab, Thank you for the campaign update/info. Great to hear you say "it's the car I hoped for!" I'm ordering Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire; from what I read, that cures the lag on aceration. With a DBW, Subwoofer fix and wast gate clip, I hope to say the same thing.

Ghibli Forum to the rescue! Many Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cfelbab, Thank you for the campaign update/info. Great to hear you say "it's the car I hoped for!" I'm ordering Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire; from what I read, that cures the lag on aceration. With a DBW, Subwoofer fix and wast gate clip, I hope to say the same thing.

Ghibli Forum to the rescue! Many Thanks.
I'm eager to hear how the drive by wire goes for you. The lag does not bother me much but if it can be improved, why not?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is the dbw module available i havent seen it on their website???

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cfelbab

I wish I was as lucky as you. Got my car back yesterday from the 4th attempts by the same dealer. They told me straight in the face that the problems are 100% fixed and they actually consulted with Maserati Tech line to get the latest fix. Problems are still there.

Subwoofer still vibrates with any song with a little heavier bass (with the setting of bass +4, Mid +2, Treb +3, Volume above 14). Rear deck still rattles (not from the sub since it rattles even when the stereo is off). I have completely lost faith in this dealer. I am going to try a different dealer in the area. Hope they will be able to provide better service.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cfelbab

I wish I was as lucky as you. Got my car back yesterday from the 4th attempts by the same dealer. They told me straight in the face that the problems are 100% fixed and they actually consulted with Maserati Tech line to get the latest fix. Problems are still there.

Subwoofer still vibrates with any song with a little heavier bass (with the setting of bass +4, Mid +2, Treb +3, Volume above 14). Rear deck still rattles (not from the sub since it rattles even when the stereo is off). I have completely lost faith in this dealer. I am going to try a different dealer in the area. Hope they will be able to provide better service.
The dealer I went to was Morries Luxury in Minneapolis/Saint Paul which is where I live. For me the key was to bring them an SD card with songs that quite clearly had the issue and say to them that went I returned for the car that was the test we would do together. The rattle is actually not the subwoofer, but the parcel shelf and the upper rear brake light. They had to put a reasonable amount of insulation and dynamat there to solve the problem. Like you, I could experience the issue with a volume setting of around 15 (out of 40) with bass flat on many songs (mainly pop type songs with a strong bass beat). With the fix in place, I have turned it up to 30 with the bass amped up to +5 and there is no rattle. So issue is absolutely fixable.

I am not sue what makes one dealer more willing to help than another. I want to think it came from the goodness of the hearts but it may have came from strong but polite language from me stating that the product they sold me for $2000 (the premium audio) was not fit for purpose and that I was not going to be satisfied without the issue being addressed or some sort of refund against the A/V system since in its previous state the product was misrepresented when called premium.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have been very patient with this dealer. The 3rd time they returned the car to me, they told me there is nothing more they can do to fix the issue.
Yesterday when I picked up the car, I played all the songs I had problem with. I could still hear the rattling (even that it has improved and reduced a lot), but the technician insist that he doesn't hear anything. On the way home, I played more songs and confirmed my suspicion. They told me they insulate all the edge of the parcel shelf to make sure there is no gap to cause vibration. But there is definitely a gap or something loose somewhere. Because it rattles on bumpy roads when the stereo is off. Whatever is loose back there may be the cause of the Subwoofer rattling sound as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been very patient with this dealer. The 3rd time they returned the car to me, they told me there is nothing more they can do to fix the issue.
Yesterday when I picked up the car, I played all the songs I had problem with. I could still hear the rattling (even that it has improved and reduced a lot), but the technician insist that he doesn't hear anything. On the way home, I played more songs and confirmed my suspicion. They told me they insulate all the edge of the parcel shelf to make sure there is no gap to cause vibration. But there is definitely a gap or something loose somewhere. Because it rattles on bumpy roads when the stereo is off. Whatever is loose back there may be the cause of the Subwoofer rattling sound as well.
The easiest way to "test" the fix is to find a song with a strong bass line (my best example is Lorde's Royals). Play the song at about 15 on the volume scale and turn down the mid and treble all the way so it does not hide the issue. The rattle if still present will be very noticeable. If it is still happening, open the trunk and play with holding things still until you determine what is causing the rattle. In my case it was the rear brake light, take the car back and show them and explain that a car that costs nearly $100K should not sound like a school bus.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The easiest way to "test" the fix is to find a song with a strong bass line (my best example is Lorde's Royals). Play the song at about 15 on the volume scale and turn down the mid and treble all the way so it does not hide the issue. The rattle if still present will be very noticeable. If it is still happening, open the trunk and play with holding things still until you determine what is causing the rattle. In my case it was the rear brake light, take the car back and show them and explain that a car that costs nearly $100K should not sound like a school bus.
Thumbs up!!!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you sure both rear seats are pushed back and locked? I have to fold down the rears a lot, and if they're not locked when back (very difficult to do) I hear a rattle.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Are you sure both rear seats are pushed back and locked? I have to fold down the rears a lot, and if they're not locked when back (very difficult to do) I hear a rattle.
100% sure. That was my 4th time taking the car in to fix the stereo vibration and 3 time took it in for cabin/rear parcel shelf rattling. I made sure it wasn't something like what you said or stuff moving around in the trunk or back seat.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
343 Posts
Just got a 2018 Ghibli and it is doing the same bass vibration. Maserati still did not fix this.
I have zero issues with this on my 2018 and I'm blasting my stereo daily. So it appears to me they did... and for that matter, I didn't have this issue on my previous 2015 either...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have zero issues with this on my 2018 and I'm blasting my stereo daily. So it appears to me they did... and for that matter, I didn't have this issue on my previous 2015 either...
Do you think there are different sound setups in different cars? The answer is yes. And it can have a part in this problem.

I recently had some work done to my 2014, and they gave me a 2015 loaner car. There was no rattle, like there is with my 2014. Of course the loaner car had a 280w system... which is not even a quarter of what mine has. So of course the sub will not rattle, or at least not as much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts