Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty sure my maps are old as the current ones don't include the new 485 extension. (I live in Charlotte, NC). Can anyone with the latest update please tell me if all of 485 is in the latest update? Would hate to drop $150 and not get the latest roads. If 485 is not in there, I'll just wait until the next update.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Seeing this thread reminded me to check for updates.
I followed the instructions and sure enough there was a software update required plus I had the older 2015 map data.
MY14 was at version 6.10 and now updated to 6.22.
Interesting, when I did the update to 6.22 it prompted me to take the USB to my dealer to complete the installation.
I followed the instructions as indicated in the thread ... validated my software version and unit number and finally allowed me to purchase. Came to $162.13 (149 + tax + 3.95 shipping).
I'll update post once I get my USB's in the mail, (one is map and other is software).

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
2016 Map Updates - DIY Success

Received my USB and instructions in the mail. 3 business days to arrive.

- Had to repeat the software validation with the new USB ... 5 minutes
- Activate/Authenticate my pre-loaded USB to my MTC unit number through Chrysler Group | Contact Us | HERE ... another 5 minutes.
- Load new software with authenticated USB ... took 65 minutes ... with car idling outside garage. Not thrilled about that ... thought about plugging in through battery tender but didn't know if the car power would still time out.

Update successful!!!

Don't know how much new was added to the maps and POI's, but felt good being able to do myself.

And of course the update is only coded to my car MTC and not re-usable on a different unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, sorry. It takes at least 45 minutes to upload. I plug mine in and sit in the garage, when I had a garage.

Not sure how to check on the 485 extension, as the map centers on GPS location. I'll give it a look.

Cheers.
Jake

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do someone know if European maps are also available on the site?

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Yeah, sorry. It takes at least 45 minutes to upload. I plug mine in and sit in the garage, when I had a garage.

Not sure how to check on the 485 extension, as the map centers on GPS location. I'll give it a look.

Cheers.
Jake
No sorry needed ... BIG THANK YOU for sharing how to update the maps ... I owe you a Beer!!! I never would have done it myself without you sharing your leanings. Next time it will be easier since I know the steps. I pad over $325 in October 2015.
I just posted my experience so others know it was fairly straightforward ... some parts sounds complicated but were not if you followed the instructions.

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Do someone know if European maps are also available on the site?

THANKS
This site only handles North America.

I do know there is a process for Europe ... I just can't find how to get the maps without dealer assistance.

There was a comment that the North American maps take up to 2 hours to load, while European maps will take longer.

I did find this ... HERE navigation - Update your sat nav with the latest HERE maps.

It doesn't list the Chrysler 300 ... the maps I purchased for MY14 were for a "RB5". It does have a number to call for information on HERE Europe B.V. website

·
Registered
311 Posts
THANKS ! Will check that during the weekend ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
i followed the instructions and got 2 messaged once update was successful and system restarted.

unable to load maps,

cant unlock detailed maps,

saw this issue being discussed in dodge/chrysler forums but nothing in maserati.

dealership spent all day today and kept the car and couldn't figure out anything.

donno what they will do but any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
i followed the instructions and got 2 messaged once update was successful and system restarted.

unable to load maps,

cant unlock detailed maps,

saw this issue being discussed in dodge/chrysler forums but nothing in maserati.

dealership spent all day today and kept the car and couldn't figure out anything.

donno what they will do but any suggestions.
What year is you Ghibli?

I would suspect the dealer would reset and rollback to previous version and reload if necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dealer had to swap the MTC module. now i wanna update MTC to 6.22 as mine is at 6.10 but major issue is nav update. Dealer is asking $800 for it which i would never pay. donno what else can be done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Gohar,

Yikes! I wish I could help. I doubt, but can't confirm, that the trouble was with the map update. Had the dealer done the update, the same result is likely. It sounds like program/hardware issues with your previous MTC.

I tried to update my Macbook TWICE with Yosemite. Both times the computer crashed during update, no luck in resetting or any Apple way of re-initializing the update. I finally had to give up on the update, and restore back to the older OS. Meanwhile, all the Apple forums had most people updating without trouble. Only a couple of us could never update.

I suspect with the new MTC, you'll be able to adopt Apple Car Play and other benefits. But getting charged $800 for the map update is F*ing rediculous. All they do is the same exact usb update I walked you through on the original post. Shouldn't the new MTC be loaded with a NAV load? And any further updates cost $800? If you have other dealers around, can you call to shop for a cheaper price. Obviously, you may not want to update yourself given the troubles. What part of the world are you in?

I'm really sorry for the trouble.

Cheers.
Jake

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why does it cost $800 to update a map?
What year is your car and whats the newest map update?
I have a 2017 model is there anyway I can check if I have the newest update?

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
It should not cost $800. The dealer usually charges retail for the maps plus and hour +/- for the installation which is mostly just waiting. There is something else going on here.
If the MTC was defective it should be covered by warranty and warranty should restore to latest update on previous MTC or newest maps.

Sound like you should check with another dealer to see what they can do.

There is one case on this forum a member wanted an updated map system, (before the updates were available to dealers), and dealer replaced the MTC to a new generation with added features ... somewhere in the $800-1000 range

Map Version can be found through dealer screen ... see post below.

Maserati Ghibli Forum - View Single Post - MTC "hidden" dealer menu

·
Registered
14 Posts
As an update for purchasing and loading a Nav Map update by yourself (without dealer): After updating the vehicle software via Garmin Express, I purchased the 2017 map version for my 2016 SQ4 from Uconnect for $149 + tax. They sent a USB stick via USPO with the update (Downloading to USB no longer allowed). Instructions are clear and simple with the stick. Upload into vehicle via USB took less than 45 minutes. I used 2016 Chrysler 300 as vehicle identity when buying from Uconnect as software, etc is the same.
I believe a 2018 map update will be available in the Fall. It seems like total BS to have to purchase map updates for a MAS but so be it. Thanks to all who previously posted on this topic for install advice and providing confidence that even a caveman could do it!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I wonder if it is also possible, to update the MTC of MY 2013-2016 to 2017/2018 (Apple Car).
Not via a software upgrade, but if you are willing to replace the whole dashboard, it *might* be possible retrofit MTC+ into a MTC car.
There are aftermarket solutions to have phone mirroring/Car Play in your MTC car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I couldn't sleep at 2am, so wound up poking around this site and researching the Uconnect and Garmin systems and updates. There are many previous posts about updating via the dealer, and the price as $322 by BeerGuy.

It seems the system we have is the 8.4" RB5, and is common with the 2014 Chrysler 300, and SRT Chrysler 300, 2015 Dodge Dart, and the 2014 Charger. The site here will show you each model year:
Uconnect® | Systems | 2014 Chrysler 300 Touch 8.4N/RB5

Selecting Order Map Updates at the bottom at this page:
Fiat Chrysler: Garmin Map Products

will open this page:
Chrysler Group | Home | HERE

I used the 2014 Chrysler 300, and it opens the page to enter your 10 digit Unit ID. This you will find on your Mas MTC by selecting, NAV, Settings, System, About. See img_1008. Enter that number and you will go to instructions to purchase and download the 2015 maps for US and Canada. (Sorry, not sure about other countries.) Anyone with other maps, let us know if you can update with your data.

The price is US$149 + possible state tax (mine $10.43) = total 159.43.

Some problems are finding a blank proper sized USB. I tried my iPod and another usb, but the drive has to be blank. So I wound up using a 8GB CF card from my Nikon camera in a multi-slot usb adapter.

Also, the download is not functional on Mac. There is a download link and will download, but the program isn't working. So I had to run the Windows version on Windows, via Parallels. It was problematic, and required multiple resets, but eventually worked. It wouldn't show an internet connection and gave me several of those errors, but finally worked when I just opened a browser page and left it open. Likely not my system, but a poor program. The other option is to just have the usb stick delivered via mail, rather than downloading.

The download took about 3 hours, due partly to my slow connection, and uploaded to the Mas in 45 minutes. I worked in the garage, and just plugged in the battery charger. I'm not too keen on paying $108/hour shop rate for some guy to babysit the reflashing/upload for 45 minutes.

Here is a link to instructions. Once you put your usb in the car, it will upload into the usb the system/map versions and put in a Maserati file. After the download, I looked at the uploaded files (about 4GB), and it had the POI file, Chrysler, and Maserati. So don't think you're getting a lesser product, it they are all the same maps for the same system, but your car tells Garmin what files it needs. If you already have the update, it will give you the message that a 'duplicate file exists', as I recall reading somewhere.

To find your map version (img_1007) you can go to dealer mode. Thanks to hsandhu01 for posting 'MTC "hidden" dealer mode' in these forums.

That's all I can think of. Let me know any questions.

Cheers.

http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/static/WFS/Shop-ChryslerNA-Site/-/Shop-ChryslerNA/en_US/Documents/RB5 13+ Software Update.pdf

Sorry, photos won't upload. I'll keep trying...
ok i am just asking how is update uk?

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok i am just asking how is update uk?
I have a 2016 Mas Ghibli SQ4. I followed the steps listed here: Identify Unit and was able to identify my UNIT ID # and verify my software was up to date. I can now move on to the steps required to update my Garmin Gps Software map. I can't figure out how to navigate to get to the steps listed below in order to determine if I have a "VP3" or "VP4" System. Do I get this info the same way I got to the Unit Id? Via Nav----Settings----System----About? Or is this the wrong screen? FYI: I don't see a "U-connect" icon on my main screen. Perhaps someone can post screen shots of the steps. (Also, I did select the 2016 Chrysler 300 for software update at this link: Uconnect® | Navigation System GPS Map Update Home Not sure if I should've selected the 2015 though.

"Please follow the instructions below to determine which navigation system you have:
  1. While in your vehicle with the key, turn the ignition to the RUN/ON position. Turn the Uconnect touchscreen ON
  2. Open Settings Menu
  3. Select the Settings button
  4. Scroll down and select System Information option at the bottom of the list
  5. The current system information will then be displayed on the radio screen. It will be either VP3 or VP4:
    • If you have a VP3 System, as shown in Option 1, click on the ‘View Product’ button below to purchase a map update
    • If you have a VP4 System, as shown in Option 2, click on ‘View Product’ button below to purchase a map update
Option 1 (VP3)
VP3 Option 1

View Product

Option 2 (VP4)
VP4 Option 2

View Product

21 - 40 of 42 Posts