Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the standard 18 tires on my Q4, and have to say they are horrible. I can't even pull out of roads with a normal acceleration without the wheels spinning.

It seems like online there are not too many options in terms of all season tires, so I'm hoping someone can advise by maybe going a bit larger or smaller some alternatives.

I believe the standard sizes on the Q4 are:
Front- 235/50R18
Rear- 275/45R/18

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the standard 18 tires on my Q4, and have to say they are horrible. I can't even pull out of roads with a normal acceleration without the wheels spinning.

It seems like online there are not too many options in terms of all season tires, so I'm hoping someone can advise by maybe going a bit larger or smaller some alternatives.

I believe the standard sizes on the Q4 are:
Front- 235/50R18
Rear- 275/45R/18

Ok Duke, this is the scoop... Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense from Maserati. I've had my Ghibli since March and yes it skips when the temps get below 50-60 degrees. These hard rubber summer tires do that and in Europe which has been most of Masers business until now, it's typical for owners with high-performance cars to change their tires back and forth with the seasons. Here in the U.S. most don't bother so we use all-seasons.
Problem is, all-seasons are NOT made for those larger rear wheels on the Ghibli in the 18" size so you have to get 19 or 20" wheels which is what I'm doing right now. Tire Rack Co. for example, has a package that includes some nice 19"wheels, pressure sensors and all-seasons put together for about $2,300, including shipping. I wasn't expecting to have to spend this extra money when I received the car being inexperienced with performance cars and tires.
Maserati recognized this problem and offered a set of all-seasons for $700 but you had to have 19" wheels or larger, so they could not or would not do anything. This "offer" expired August 1st.
Live and learn. Our Mercedes dealership and overall relationship has been outstanding when we bought an SUV from them a couple of years ago. I cannot say the same about Maserati, although in this case it's more of a company problem than with the Dealership. Being in NJ you will want to get this problem resolved (new wheels and tires) in the next few weeks before the weather gets cold. "Good luck!"

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is surprised that a Maser comes with performance tires. If you get 21's on a Q7 they have summer tires! If you look to performance you get performance equipment. Maser's mistake was even putting the 18's on the car, something they won't do again!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys... Talking with the dealer tomorrow to see what the options are. Gotta do something though

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have 19's on my car and the story is the same. During the winter I am always nervous of how well the tires are gripping when I first start out on cold mornings. I live in an area with rural-like roads, winding two lane roads with lots of turns.

I decided to get new tires this winter, settled on Continental DWS - just had a set put on my wife's C class and it seems to work really well. Getting 19" wheels for the Ghibli is important since it has a lot more tire choices than other sizes. My recommendation is that if you are thinking of getting new tires, then get a new set of wheels too. Eventually sell off your 18's once the tires wear out on that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the same issue. I have Base RWD that came with 18" Alfieri wheels and 235/50 summer tires (same size front and rear). I decided to change it to all-season tires since it seemed more practical to me. I live in southern Ohio and the weather is so unpredictable here - from 20s to 60F in one week :) - I hated that floating feeling when I was driving my previous car on Blizzaks in higher temps. My choice is also Continental DWS set. The problem is that if you want to keep original 18" wheels, some big tire dealers (like TireRack) recommend staggered size - 235 front and 275 back and they would not recommend putting "all square" 235s (like my current original set). Then if you want the staggered 18" set, you are limited only to summer/winter tires (and only 3 choices I believe). Then the next option is to pick 19" set (also staggered) and that opens a lot of tire opportunities, including Continental DWS. However, what I have learned from several conversations with tire dealers the wheels options are very limited, too. I was particularly unhappy that TireRack.com had only 2 different O.Z. racing wheel choices in 19" and only few from other brands, but some of them back-ordered. I was hoping for a much wider selection since they are the only U.S. O.Z. distributor. The guys from the TireRack call center were extra nice and tried to help but apparently certain measurements and specs of the recommended wheels made it difficult to find a right match.
So in 19" size you have a lot of tire choices but limited wheel options. I also went to a local place/chain called TireDiscounters and their guy called several custom wheel manufacturers - not too many options for Ghibli :(
Finally I saw Ace Alloy Wheels link here and it looks like they have some options that specifically fit Ghiblis! Bingo! :) I am considering 19" Aspire or Convex wheels and I will get all-season Continental tires with them.

Also, it is true that Maserati offers sets of winter Pirelli Sottozeros at a significantly discounted price - I was told $700 and that deal should be still going on. One of the Maserati dealers quoted the summer/winter swap at $300 though... They also quoted TPMS at $800 a set, while online tire distributors offer them as low as $200.

I hope it helps, because it took me a while to get a better idea what are the options.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I went with a set of Forgestar 19 inch F14 wheels. 19*9 front and 19*10 rear, 35mm front and rear offset. Should be here in 6-8 weeks. Hopefully in time for winter. $1600 for the wheels, $2600 with tires, TPMS, and etc.

Cant wait.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same issue. I have Base RWD that came with 18" Alfieri wheels and 235/50 summer tires (same size front and rear). I decided to change it to all-season tires since it seemed more practical to me. I live in southern Ohio and the weather is so unpredictable here - from 20s to 60F in one week :) - I hated that floating feeling when I was driving my previous car on Blizzaks in higher temps. My choice is also Continental DWS set. The problem is that if you want to keep original 18" wheels, some big tire dealers (like TireRack) recommend staggered size - 235 front and 275 back and they would not recommend putting "all square" 235s (like my current original set). Then if you want the staggered 18" set, you are limited only to summer/winter tires (and only 3 choices I believe). Then the next option is to pick 19" set (also staggered) and that opens a lot of tire opportunities, including Continental DWS. However, what I have learned from several conversations with tire dealers the wheels options are very limited, too. I was particularly unhappy that TireRack.com had only 2 different O.Z. racing wheel choices in 19" and only few from other brands, but some of them back-ordered. I was hoping for a much wider selection since they are the only U.S. O.Z. distributor. The guys from the TireRack call center were extra nice and tried to help but apparently certain measurements and specs of the recommended wheels made it difficult to find a right match.
So in 19" size you have a lot of tire choices but limited wheel options. I also went to a local place/chain called TireDiscounters and their guy called several custom wheel manufacturers - not too many options for Ghibli :(
Finally I saw Ace Alloy Wheels link here and it looks like they have some options that specifically fit Ghiblis! Bingo! :) I am considering 19" Aspire or Convex wheels and I will get all-season Continental tires with them.

Also, it is true that Maserati offers sets of winter Pirelli Sottozeros at a significantly discounted price - I was told $700 and that deal should be still going on. One of the Maserati dealers quoted the summer/winter swap at $300 though... They also quoted TPMS at $800 a set, while online tire distributors offer them as low as $200.

I hope it helps, because it took me a while to get a better idea what are the options.
Yes it does thank you. I'm waiting on my dealer to call me back with pricing on the 18's but he did say that Maserati does have a program going on where they will either pay $500 or half back. I gotta do something cause I can't pull out of my street on dry roads at a normal speed without the tires spinning. Its crazy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Would be interested in hearing if those with 20" Uranos are being offered a discount through their dealer/Maserati on winter tires (tires only, not wheel/tire packages) as has been discussed. I asked my service manager and have yet to hear back.

My Ghibli is leased and I don't have plans to keep it, so don't want to spring for a second set of wheels.

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
Would be interested in hearing if those with 20" Uranos are being offered a discount through their dealer/Maserati on winter tires (tires only, not wheel/tire packages) as has been discussed. I asked my service manager and have yet to hear back.

Yes, 20" tires are in the discount plan for Urano's. I've seen folks get the Sotto3 in 20" for $800-$950. My original selling dealer gave me a discount to match Tirerack. early in the program you needed to have them installed for teh discount. If I had them installed on the car it would have been $500 less for the tires. I said why would I want winter tires on my car in March with spring/summer right around the corner. Some dealers held to having to install the winters for the discount, while other just offered a cash and carry discount.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks, BG. Time for a follow up call to my dealer...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Essfive, if you are interested in 18" then check out eBay - there were at least few sets of factory installed 18" Alfieris for around $1000 and less. You can't beat that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What other options are there for sizes on the rear? I thought I read a post on here where it was said I could use a different size in the rear since the 275/45/18 have limited options for all-season.

My dealer isn't having any luck either and told me just to put the winter tires on, but I'd rather opt for all season.

·
Registered
236 Posts

My Ghibli is leased and I don't have plans to keep it, so don't want to spring for a second set of wheels.
I was told you can get a set of winters for the 20" Uranos with a $700 credit through Dec 31. That would mean winters for around $1000. Pretty good deal if they honor it. I'm holding out as ling as I can so I don't throw good money after bad.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Urano 20' with summer tyres and will fit the standard 18' with winter tyres next week. Will tell you if I feel a difference... Most probably will feel a difference...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely check out ACE ALLOY WHEEL! They custom drill their wheels in house free of charge!, which allows them to apply the perfect specs for fitment. I had my set within 6 days. That is a tough choice Lucmed! I was deciding between both as well at first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
18 inch performance tires

This has been a very helpful thread for me. I have learned about the problem with the 18 inch performance tires the hard way - asked the salesperson about it during test drive and was mislead so didn't know to get the larger wheels with all season tires. It doesn't feel like the tires are slipping, it feels like the car is stuttering - you can feel the whole car jerk as you turn.

Here is my question: Has anyone heard of this type of "slippage" happening at all temperatures?

Everything I have read/been told so far is that this is a problem only at certain temperatures. I have had this problem every day here in Long Island New York, all year round - winter, spring, summer, and fall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has been a very helpful thread for me. I have learned about the problem with the 18 inch performance tires the hard way - asked the salesperson about it during test drive and was mislead so didn't know to get the larger wheels with all season tires. It doesn't feel like the tires are slipping, it feels like the car is stuttering - you can feel the whole car jerk as you turn.

Here is my question: Has anyone heard of this type of "slippage" happening at all temperatures?

Everything I have read/been told so far is that this is a problem only at certain temperatures. I have had this problem every day here in Long Island New York, all year round - winter, spring, summer, and fall.

Thanks!
Great dialogue going on here. I live in NJ. I have the 18inch tires too. My studdering seems to happen most of the time. I got my car beginning of sept. So weather hasn't been a factor-- can be hot or cold. I leased mine as well and am reluctant to get a second set. I have been looking to replace my wheels but no luck so far and I called about 5 different places. Anyone have an opinion on maybe exchanging the 18s for 19s? I don't plan to drive much this winter esp in snow but nonetheless would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts