Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major shock to see a Superbowl ad for Ghibli. This is a venue for beer and pickup trucks. It is not something that is done when a car company wants to be considered exclusive. That said, it was a good commercial.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think*that the point is that Maserati is not trying to be "exclusive" but rather inclusive. If you can afford 70 or 80K for a car (which actually does exclude a lot of people) and you want something more interesting than a BMW or an Audi, go for it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you can afford 70 or 80K for a car (which actually does exclude a lot of people)
Not enough. But I'll refrain from posting to this thread as another cry for Maserati to maintain exclusivity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I liked the ad. I especially liked the reference to the wind. It was clearly aimed at Merc, BMW and Audi as the giants not nimble enough to move, but unless you're already in the market for that level of car, I don't think you would have picked up on that aspect.

It gave just enough glimpses (sound was gorgeous) to whet the appetite. I hope it helps Maser sell Ghiblis. I'd much rather have them fly off the lots than sit there and have the dealerships discounting them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maser is commited to producing more cars, however, it doesn't have limitless capacity. However many Ghiblis it produces, I'd rather have people clamor for them. Hopefully this would translate to greater demand that could support a higher price point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Admittedly I am new to the Maserati club having just bought a Ghibli, so maybe I don't get the point of this! I bought the car because it looked cool, it performs well and it is not as boring as the competition. I wanted a sporty car that seats 4 and being a 40 something year old business exec I did not want a tricked up rice burner but something somewhat age appropriate.

I suppose some of that is "exclusive" but I did not buy the car because it was expensive. I would have been just as happy to pay 60K as the 88K I did pay. I did not buy the car to brag to people about how successful I am.

If lots of other people buy the same car, it will not cheapen my thrill with the car. Maserati was quite clear that there mission is to sell a LOT more cars. They are not trying to be Ferrari - they are in fact moving towards their German competition. Those are the stated facts by the company so nobody should be surprised that they are making a lot of noise about the car being "affordable". I don't think they view that as cheapening the brand but rather reframing the market to include a lot of people that would have bought a 6 series BMW or higher Audi. If you want supercar status, it is probably time to move up market further with a different company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOVED the ad!! it was by far one of the better car ads on the SuperBowl (I have to admit that the Audi Doberhuahua ad was way-funny, even though the car was boring).

As of exclusivity, I am fine with Masarati making 50K cars per year, as long as they abandon any plans for cars with diesel. They can simply pretend the announcements was a joke in the first place).

·
Registered
6 Posts
It just made me want you more, my dear, sweet, first model year. If you own a Ghibli, be happy. This car just oozes happiness. Oh my gosh, doesn't it? Plus, the point of the ad, that there are big lumbering giants..? That is why we are here. We dislike the BMW and their poochy engines. The Audi and their pedestrian vehicles...oxymoron. A car over $30k should not drive like a Ford. And Mercedes? A grandpa car, like a Cadillac with a bigger hood ornament. The Ghibli makes the heart and mind race. Be in the flow, and be happy. No need to over think anything. You haven't just arrived; everyone is staring at you, too. Sorry to cut this short, but I think I will to the garage to sleep in my emozione blue Ghibli...again tonight.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am afraid bberg that diesel Ghiblis are what sell in Europe. No joke. I don't think they will make it across the Atlantic though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I really liked the Kia commercial, it's not something I expected from them but it being the superbowl they almost had no choice but to step it up to that level.
Did anyone see it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Kia commercial is a riot. I don't know what the guys at Kia is smoking but it's some funny stuff. Even the model name, K900, it's like an orange suit for going to Church on Sundays - a little inappropriate but so entertaining that no one will say anything.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I admit I will need the sales statistics to back up what I wrote but that is what my dealer told me. We will have to wait a few months to be certain who is right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In some countries like UK, Germany, France, Italy they will obviously sell mainly the Diesel due to tax reasons and cheaper gas price than petrol.Here in Switzerland they sold+ order book until 12/31 the Q4 with a 85% share, so even more than the 70% of the USA. In Switzerland Diesel is more expensive than petrol and there is no tax advantage.But what they officially do is to try to sell the Diesel as a company car and in Germany they built a special sales staff for this.
I read that in the UK the share of Diesel in the E-class is 90%. So they would never achieve the goal of 20-25000 Ghibli's without offering a Diesel and mainly in Europe the sales would be very low. But I think that they sold much more Q4's worldwide than planned. Probably as well a reason why they already augmented the price in the USA after only 4 months.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts