Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the correct information about the suspension options available to me when I place my order. My original understanding about suspension options is as follows:

1) Standard Suspension - normal ride height, normal shocks/springs, no electronic damping, no adjustments. This suspension is the standard and the car will NOT have the shift paddles and it will NOT have the Inox sport foot pedals.

2) Sport Suspension - this is NOT electronic. It is simply a modified standard suspension where shocks are heavier valved and springs are a bit stiffer and a little lower. There are no adjustments. In North America, you can only get the Sport Suspension if you opt for the Sport Package, which includes the suspension as well as the paddle shifters and the Inox foot pedals.

3) Skyhook Suspension - This is the electronic dampening system with an adjustment button located on the shift gate and indicated by a picture of a shock absorber.Please do NOT confuse this with the "Sport" button located also on the shift gate just above it. The "Sport" button is STANDARD in all Ghibli models and has nothing to do with the suspension. It controls throttle response, RPM, transmission shift points, and exhaust volume. In North America, cars fitted with the Skyhook Suspension ($3,100) are also equipped with the shift paddles and Inox foot pedals. Basically, it's a Sport Package car with electronic adjustable dampening instead of fixed rate dampening. As for the actual adjustments, there are only two modes "Normal" and "Sport". Again, these modes are activated by toggling the Skyhook button which has a picture of a shock absorber. In normal mode, the car rides softer similar to a standard suspension car. In Sport mode the car rides a bit stiffer similar to a Sport Suspension car.

A dealer has just advised me that you cannot have Skyhook and paddle shifters and that Skyhook is a fully computerized system. This dealer has advised that the sport suspension package DOES have the adjustable damping suspension option (using the switch on the shift gate) and paddles and that you cannot get Skyhook and paddle shifters. Obviously that differs from what is described above and I believe the general understanding in the marketplace, some of which is described at the Maserati web site but which I have to advise is not very clear either.

Could you please confirm either of the above option scenarios or specifically describing your understanding of the actual suspension options that are available on the 2014 US Ghibli QS4 model?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
from what I'm reading

The only thing that is for sure is that you cannot get skyhook and paddle shifters

The question now is.

Can you get sport suspension AND skyhook

Because that seems to be the confusion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your dealer is confused.

Your description for the standard suspension is correct.

The sports suspension is not a fixed rate damper. It is at least a dual rate damper using Koni shocks according to the Ghibli press release document. On smooth roads, it will be firmer than the standard suspension. On rough roads, the shock mechanically switches to a lower damping rate, resulting in smoother ride.

The Skyhook suspension has two settings, one is similar to the standard suspension, which is sporty. Second setting is a softer setting for more comfort.

I don't believe there is a sport button for the sport suspension, only for Skyhook.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer corrected himself and did not confirm his answer he got from a colleague with Maserati NA.....I was advised that a paddle shift option for $500 is available with Skyhook which makes sense and I will be ordering.............just hope he is correct. Can anyone confirm they have ordered Skyhook with paddles?

·
24 Posts
We have not yet ordered a Ghibli with Skyhook. My understanding of the Suspension was simply that both the Ghibli S and Ghibli S Q4 models came with the Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/fixed rate Dampers / 5-Arm Multilink Rear and a Limited-slip Differential.

As far as the Sport Package, my understanding is that on the Ghibli S, in order to get the sport pack you have to select your preferred Rim, either a 19", 20" or 21" and the Extended Leather Option. On a Ghibli S Q4 model, to get the sport pack its the same as the Ghibli S except you have to order Red, Blue, Silver or Black Calipers (Black is Standad) and so far as I know Skyhook is unavailable with the Sport Package on Q4 models. Sport packages 19,20 & 21 will automatically get the Sport Suspension.

The Calipers and brakes on the Ghibli S and Ghibli S Q4 models are different and so is the overall vehicle weight distribution.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. It does match what we've heard before, and reinforces some of the ordering restrictions being talked about.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. It does match what we've heard before, and reinforces some of the ordering restrictions being talked about.
Guys, this is confirmed from Maserati, dealers, and press releases….the SPORT PACKAGE, not non-sport and not Skyhook, IS NOT a fixed suspension. It is a Koni adaptive suspension that adapts mechanically. There are NO buttons on to electronically adjust the suspension, you can only do this with the Skyhook. HOWEVER, it does adjust mechanically based on the road surface conditions (smooth or broken) and how hard you push the car. If the car is being pushed harder, the suspension will stiffen up mechanically…automatically.

NON-SPORT package models without Skyhook are adjusted via a button next to the gear selector. The "sport" setting in Skyhook is NOT as aggressive or firm as the Sport Suspension. The "non sport" setting in Skyhook is softer then the based (non sport package) car…making it a softer ride.

A car with NON-SPORT package and NO SKYHOOK is a completely fixed suspension.

You CAN NOT order Skyhook with the Sport Package…it's one or the other. The Sport Package includes painted calipers, paddles, 19" wheels, and the Sport Suspension (Koni adaptive suspension). While you can get the 19" wheels or any wheels, and painted calipers ala carte, I've been told you can not order the paddles ala carte as of yet…they are only available as part of the Sport Package.

My two cents: If you are buying this car as a 4 door sports car, you would be making a mistake by not getting the sport package. The Koni suspension is great and used on many high performance sports cars. The Skyhook will not match the performance of it as you would notice on turn-ins and breaking.

If you are buying the car as a luxury cruiser, then the Skyhook will be softer then either the Koni Sport Suspension AND the base package fixed suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts