Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Ghibli when the lease on my 535i M Sport is up, and at 6'4 with what I've found out (via not being able to fit into practically anything) a very long torso, I'm concerned about whether I'll have adequate frontal headroom in this car.

I had a few E Classes before the BMW, and not only found them to be too cramped for my head, considering how utilitarian and large they are, but even my 5 Series is a little too close for comfort at the roof, even with seat all the way down and fully tweaked to give me as much head clearance as possible.

I sat in the Ghibli at the Auto Show and am drawing a blank as to how my head fit in it. I feel like my conclusion was that it was similar to my 5er, i.e livable but not ultimately perfectly comfortable in that regard.

On another note, unless there are big discounts or very lightly used models with heavy depreciation by next year, I'd probably opt for the non-Q4 which seems to be a "no no" recommendation by most when compared against the Q4. I love the current 5 Series when correctly optioned and later than 2013 model year, and honestly think on a holistic level, all things accounted, it's quite possibly the best car in the world, but am starting to long for something maybe a little tighter, louder and rawer, without giving up the luxury of the 5er (until I inevitably get tired of that in my pothole riddled, traffic congested town and just want the plushest, quietest barge available again).

I've been wanting something a little exotic for a while and the Ghibli seems to tick a lot of those boxes, even though I'm not convinced on the styling just yet (somewhere in between "eh", "awkward" and "incredibly sexily stunning" when I look at various pictures, though my one real world impression on the road wasn't too positive), and am apprehensive about the QC/Fit/Finish issues that plague Maserati. I'm hoping that IMO the biggest drawback to it, which is a very cheap Chrysler-like interior layout/tech/infotainment system and way too many Chrysler parts-bin carryover plastics (which feel cheaper than most cars that share the $18K segments that said Chryslers compete in, to give some perspective) come with a silver lining, i.e that "Chrysler-ization" gives it some plus points of adopting a mass-manufactured utilitarian-like durability that's missing from delicate previous hand-made Maser's.

Thanks for "listening" to my ramble, and I really hope I can comfortably fit my height into the thing as I don't think there are any other Sedans that tickle my fancy as much as BMW's 5/6 Series' as much as the Ghibli might. M-B has become extremely undesirable to me, I don't have a charging port in my garage for a Tesla and prefer the 5 Series over the A6, overall.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a 7 series and am moving over to the Ghibli, the 7 was a good car but always felt like a piece of equipment rather than something I really wanted. When I test drove the Ghibli it had a sunroof and I found the position of the roof made me lower the seat more that I thought ideal though I still had room. It is not a problem for me as I see no point in sunroofs and should be able to get a more satisfactory position without one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 540I was the best car I ever owned and I am hoping he Ghibli will exceed my expectations. it did on the test drive but a test drive can never tell until you actually drive the car for a while. came very close to a 5 or a 6 but decided on the Maz. Regarding roof height you should test drive again. I am 5" 11" not even close to your height. Good luck and let us know what you decide. for wht it is worth my 5" 11" son had no issues in the back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not as tall as you but I'm 6'1.
I can comfortably fit in Ghilbi, and I personally think it has more room than my other cars (BMW 335XI Coupe and 550XI M Sport).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Yeah without a sunroof I'm sure I'll have more than adequate headroom. Isn't the sunroof bundled in with one of the packages, i.e. Premium I believe?

Also to those of you who've driven both versions, is the "Base" model still an "experience" of sorts, like in the sound/emotion departments? It seems to put up identical straight line figures to the 535I based on the press stuff, which I guess can make sense as the Maser is seemingly heavier and the N55 in the Bimmer is underrated from the factory.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We were out last night (run to Home Depot, afterall, this is our practical car ;) ) and I mentioned about the head room. He says he definitely has plenty of head room and looking at him, I thought at least an additional 3-4 inches. Our car has the sunroof, so I don't know how much more would be available in the base model.

Also, the seats are adjustible so that they can be lowered. My seating height is higher than my husband's. I don't know if his is set to the lowest position.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard from someone stating that the 5 series has slightly more headroom possibly, which would be a real bummer because my car is already a little tight for me. even though I like to open the sunroof sometimes I would opt without it, however it's bundled in the Premium or "Base" Package which is a must. would be nice if there was a way to delete it and get some money back from that package.

·
Registered
852 Posts
and if you buy the Q S4 I do not believe you can delete the sunroof............but I would ask...............if the inches are that important!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Checked one out today. Verdict for me is that it seems to have about identical headroom as my 5 Series. Maybe a liiiitle bit more (or less for what I know) but both are quite testing the limit (literally testing the limit).

The good news is that makes it livable (i.e it's officially an option) but bad news is that it's still a little "cramped" in the sense that I'd like some inches above my head so I don't feel like driving my car is a constant safety hazard. I guess for my height/torso that's too much to ask in todays car market.

I wish the steering will did come out a liiiiitle bit more and could especially go a little lower as that would help me be more comfortable with the backrest far back (a must for me to have adequate headroom).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 6'5". After several visits to the dealer, and test drives, I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I do not have enough headroom. I fit but am constantly aware of the closeness of the roof, and my hair touching it. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since I am the exact height of the average American male (5'10"), this is something I never even have to consider. Every car I get into fits me perfectly....basically because cars are designed for someone my height.

I can never remember thinking that I was uncomfortable driving a car.

I take it for granted, but threads like these make me grateful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am 6'5". After several visits to the dealer, and test drives, I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I do not have enough headroom. I fit but am constantly aware of the closeness of the roof, and my hair touching it. Very disappointed.
Yep, exact same here. I re-checked the car out more recently and realized I was being hopeful earlier, as the cars headroom is worse than originally thought. The mix of lousy headroom and a steering wheel that doesn't pivot either outward or low enough make it so the Ghibli is probably an impossibility even if I did really want it as my ultimate choice for my next car. Very lame considering the massive size of the car. The headroom in my 5 Series is already bad enough for me, but is probably the bare minimum of livability that I can deal with. The Ghibli is just worse enough to make it a no-deal, as well again as the steering wheel that isn't versatile enough in its positionings.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sad that we live in a world where we design products for the 66.7% under the bell curve.........especially where the could have added an inch or two to the interior head room and moved the rear seats back to make a smidgen more room in the back...........or at least I think so as I am certainly not an automotive engineer!! Good Luck to all of you taller folks and your search for a car that fits! Have you ever gone to the Big and Tall Automotive Dealership? LOL!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have always managed to wedge myself into the various coupes I have owned over the years. Most of my height is in my legs, so dropping the S Q4's seat all the way to the bottom and moving it back some makes it comfortable enough for me. Unfortunately this is not the case for the poor soul stuck sitting behind me (my poor son!) but this happens infrequently enough that we can live with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With great sadness I just told dealer I am going to have to pass on a Ghibli, at least until and unless they do something to allow more headroom. If only they would leave the sunroof off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sad that we live in a world where we design products for the 66.7% under the bell curve.........especially where the could have added an inch or two to the interior head room and moved the rear seats back to make a smidgen more room in the back...........or at least I think so as I am certainly not an automotive engineer!! Good Luck to all of you taller folks and your search for a car that fits! Have you ever gone to the Big and Tall Automotive Dealership? LOL!
Worst part is that the only vehicles that seem truly "fit" for my height are SUV's, or massively large Sedans. I detest SUV's and as a car enthusiast could never get myself to have one as my "baby" type car.

Annoying that it seems I can't even get the car I want anymore, I always have to be apprehensive as to whether I can fit my head inside of it first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I don't fit in the Ghibli I think I will be getting a Cadillac CTS V Sport. Not nearly as exciting or unique as the Ghibli, but 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and huge amounts of room, both headroom and legroom.
My understanding is the SQ4 is available in Europe without a sunroof. Images I have seen of such cars appear to have much more headroom. Too bad Maserati won't give us here in the USA the same choices as those elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts