Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say yes if you only plan to drive it locally, and say no if you drive your car.

I know for myself I can be at home for work for days or I may have to drive 4 or 5 hours round trip with only an hour or so at my destination. Not sure I would want a car that would require long delays in recharging. I am also not your average driver nor do I only put 10k miles on a car a year. I have 6 cars in my driveway and 5 motorcycles in the garage. I put around 60 to 70k miles a year total on my vehicles sometimes more. Not to mention my wife's driving or my 2 teenage boys... arrrrr I am so glad I can put the nice cars on a separate policy.

Back to OP... The other issue would be Service, I know Maserati doesn't have dealers everywhere, but here in Ohio, the only service center is in Dublin Ohio 2+ hours away. This is one of the reasons I haven't purchased several other cars on my short list. Flat bed to Dublin gets to be a pain let alone timely. If it were not to be a daily driver then maybe, but that has it down points as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as quality, luxury, and style I think the Model S and the Ghibli compete with each other. I think the biggest difference is obviously that the Model S is electric. It gets 200 miles range which should be sufficient for most people. It does take a bit to charge so it wouldn't work for people like Joey who drive a long distance only to stay at the destination for a short time (and often your destination won't have a charging station.) Price is somewhat comparable as well. People will be turning their heads as you drive down the street with either car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As far as quality, luxury, and style I think the Model S and the Ghibli compete with each other. I think the biggest difference is obviously that the Model S is electric. It gets 200 miles range which should be sufficient for most people. It does take a bit to charge so it wouldn't work for people like Joey who drive a long distance only to stay at the destination for a short time (and often your destination won't have a charging station.) Price is somewhat comparable as well. People will be turning their heads as you drive down the street with either car.
yea but the Ghibli is the only one capable of shattering thier ear drums, lets see tesla do that with the electric car swoooooosh

·
Registered
277 Posts
electric cars are very different kind of cars. You don't even have to drive them to know that.

But if the drive is not your concern, your second concern is range.

The Tesla will not have near the range of the Ghibli.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am considering either the Ghibli or the Tesla Model S as my daily commuter (40 miles total). I have several other ICE vehicles that I could use when long range is needed. I have driven the Model S and like it (and love the tech and instant power/torque). Now I just need to be able to see and test drive the Ghibli in order to make a decision. Like Mr. Smith, I think that both cars are comparable in quality, luxury, style and price. Has anyone driven both cars?

·
Registered
277 Posts
What do you expect out of the test drive?

One is a gasoline engine and one is an electric car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you expect out of the test drive?

One is a gasoline engine and one is an electric car.
No expectations - I simply need to drive both cars to make an informed decision as to which car I prefer and want to buy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I haven't driven an electric car but I assume that there is a big difference in feel between the Model S and the Ghibli. Doing a test drive of both should make it pretty clear which car is best suited for you. The range and charging issue is a big one, but the trade off is never having to pay for gas. If you are lucky Tesla will actually install more charging stations around the US so that range and charging aren't as big of issues.

Both cars get the thumbs up from me though. Depending on what state you live in, you can get some big tax breaks for buying an electric car which can bring the price down quite a bit.

Remember that there is a diesel version of the Ghibli, and that version will have a bit better mpg.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No expectations - I simply need to drive both cars to make an informed decision as to which car I prefer and want to buy.
I kbnow you said you commute 40 mi daily, all well and good. but have you considered excess demands on your range beside the daily commute? God forbid an emmergency goes down and you're unable to reach a charging network or dont have time for a charge, then what?

at least with the ghibli you can get a quick shot of gas and go.

Then we talk about road trips. with the model S your'e limited to your immediate vicinity...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kbnow you said you commute 40 mi daily, all well and good. but have you considered excess demands on your range beside the daily commute? God forbid an emmergency goes down and you're unable to reach a charging network or dont have time for a charge, then what?
I have given it some thought, and I think in most emergency situations I could take one of my other non-electric cars, but I guess its possible that an electric car could be a real problem if you are not close to home when the emergency situation occurs. I'm not sure that remote possibility would be enough to forego the Model S if (after driving the Ghibli) I decide that I prefer the Model S.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At the moment EV's do have a wall charger adapter so you're not SOL. If you properly plan out your commute and do the math and know your power usage limits, you will be fine. That's the downside with EV's, it takes more thought before you hit the road, just can't turn the key and go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am considering a Model S as a commuter car, driving about 50 miles a day. I have test driven the car and it is a very nice ride. Instant gratification when you step on the gas. Technologically amazing and forward thinking.

The thing The Model S lacks is the emotion of driving the car, the engine noise. I think that this is where the Ghibli differentiates itself from the Tesla. The Tesla interior isn't all that high end either. I mean its nice, but not as luxurious you'd expect for a 80K-100K car. The Ghibli leather seating is soft as butter and envelops you. I can only imagine the excitement the Ghibli will bring while driving it.

Soon...soon..

·
Registered
112 Posts
At the moment EV's do have a wall charger adapter so you're not SOL. If you properly plan out your commute and do the math and know your power usage limits, you will be fine. That's the downside with EV's, it takes more thought before you hit the road, just can't turn the key and go.
how do you properly plan an unexpected emergency situation? Honestly if you're really looking for fuel economy just buy a motorcycle for commutes, doen't have to be anything sporty or flashy, just something comfy and good on gas...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Though the Ghibli and the the Model S are comparable because they are in the same price range and are both luxury sedans, they appeal to very different markets.

Many people are looking for fuel efficiency. The Model S offers this while the Ghibli does not. Others are looking for a more luxurious feel, this comes more from the Ghibli than the model S. The feeling of driving both vehicles is very different too.

The point is, both cars have their merits; it really depends on what each customer values most.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Though the Ghibli and the the Model S are comparable because they are in the same price range and are both luxury sedans, they appeal to very different markets.

Many people are looking for fuel efficiency. The Model S offers this while the Ghibli does not. Others are looking for a more luxurious feel, this comes more from the Ghibli than the model S. The feeling of driving both vehicles is very different too.

The point is, both cars have their merits; it really depends on what each customer values most.
heh I don't think you can claim the Model S has fuel efficiency if it doesnt use fuel.

Pedantic yes ahahaa.

Both cars do have their merits but you cant look find them by comparing pictures or performance figures or MSRP's. There are certain intangible factors the Ghibli brings that the Model S cannot match.

First and foremost performance, I dont exactly want to start fooling around with my Model S, the range is finite and not exactly quick to charge, the effect of spirited driving on the Model S is actually more devastating than spirited drivings effect on the Ghiblis fuel economy.

What happens to the Model S in a power outage Scenario? Remember Hurricane Sandy in NY when people were without power for a week or two, good luck getting around in an electric car with no electricity.

And convenience. I can drive the Ghibli cross country, with little hassle, the Model S on the other hand.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't see how we can compare the Ghibli to the Tesla Model S, both very different cars targeted to two very different types of people. The Model S is almost in a market of it's own.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't see how we can compare the Ghibli to the Tesla Model S, both very different cars targeted to two very different types of people. The Model S is almost in a market of it's own.
they compete if you're willing to spend your dollars on it, and some people are willing to. I just think Tesla is a green darling, why do you think their stock is so frothy. We live in a trendy society....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a Tesla Model S Signature high end version on order. Went all the way to the end where I was asked to make the final config, but then I backed out because for me I love speeding at over 200KPH on the German Autobahn and my batteries would be dead quick and the top speed is limited to 200KPH so I could outpace anybody until that speed then they would be filling my rear view and flashing me to get out of the way. The ass is also too fat for many narrow European roads so I need the Ghibli version of the Model S to appeal. Also, where is the joy of speed without noise. That is like comparing an M3 to a Maserati/Ferrari. BORING! I feel sorry for my boys as I know Electric is the future. They will have drive dad's old timers if they are not outlawed once our sea fronts are inundated with melting glaciers and icebergs and caps.

By the way, the driving experience in terms of whipping it around was more fun in a Maserati. It might have been because I was alone in the Maserati and I was on an assigned driving route with the Model S, however, the Model S was fast with so much torque unbelievably quick and good solid handling but very German in characteristics without any Italian flair or Joie de vivre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one of the early Tesla Model S (Signature Performance) and just got a Ghibli S Q4 both are excellent vehicles. The Model S has been my daily driver for the last year, I am just getting to know the Ghibli.

The instant acceleration on the Model S is more evident than what you get from the Ghibli.

The Model S has some quirks, but I love the user interface and the 17 inch screen. The Ghibli seems to be a more standard UI, but again, I have not had time to really delve into what it can do.

Happy to answer any Model S comparison questions as I have more time with the Ghibli.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts