Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for service to fix the Sirius antenna issue, the subwoofer, a rattle and a paint issue on the left fender. While the car is in for service I asked the dealer to check out why the telephone button was grayed out as text and messaging was suppose to work in the car and if the button was pushed it says that my phone is not compatible with the car. I spoke to the service manager this afternoon and he told me that Maserati has disabled the text and e-mail functionality for the US Market for liability reasons. Unless Maserati changes it's policy nothing can be done.

As a side note, my left from fender needs to be repainted (not painted properly at the factory) and the dealer is waiting for approval from corporate to authorize the repair. Once authorization is given the dealer advises it will take a week for the paint job--seems like a long time to paint a fender given the fact no body work is involved. The good thing I was given an SQ4 as a loaner. Hopefully the paint will match--the color is Grigio so I am concerned. I will keep you all advised.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
maugust100-sorry to hear about the fender needing repainting ... I'd be a little concerned myself since we all want the car to stay perfect. Hopefully since the car is relatively new they should be able to get a good match on the Griogio. Sounds like a good sign that they are taking the proper amount of time for preparation, number of coats and curing stages.

As an aside to your text/messaging comment, I have the Maserati iPhone application for the car ... and it ALSO makes me accept "DO NOT USE WHILE DRIVING"!!! It's a little lame, but holds the car information, manual / MTC information for reference. I had hoped for a smarter app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am from the UK and my petrol Ghibli also says that my phone is not compatible to use texting so it would appear that it's not just USA

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
1 week to paint your fender seems right. some shops it will take even longer.

1 day - removal and prep fender
1 day - paint
1 day - clear coat
1 day - cure
1 day - re assemble

this is not a process that you want to rush thru otherwise the end result will be the same as what you have now.

mixing / matching the paint will not be any issue. any body shop can mix paint. with that being said you want to make sure that your fender is painted by a high end body shop who specializes in exotic repairs. DO NOT let the regular run of the mill body shop spray your car, noway! personally i wouldnt even trust the dealer bc they perform shotty work since they are always looking to cut costs, high end repair shop ONLY! its your car, you have the right to have it painted by anyone of your choice.

i just had my body shop mix me some touch up paint last week. in order to do this you MUST make sure you give them the paint codes, which are located under the hood. once they have the paint codes the match will be perfect. without the paint codes, it will not match.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It is the dealers body shop. The store sells Maserati, Rolls Royce and Bentley so I think I am in good hands.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Thanks. It is the dealers body shop. The store sells Maserati, Rolls Royce and Bentley so I think I am in good hands.
it doesnt matter what kind of cars they sell. i can sell you a bugatti for 1 million dollars, but that doesnt mean i can paint one. i would also be willing to bet 99% of dealerships CANNOT paint a car the proper way bc they are not staffed for it since most of their work is mechanical related.

does the dealer paint cars on a regular basis? most of them have a service / garage that does mechanical repair only, some do both.

you should ask the dealer, how often do they paint cars? then ask yourself this, would you rather someone who paints cars daily paint your car, or would you rather a guy who does it 1x per month paint your car? i personally would rather have the guy who paints daily do the work.

most high end dealers, subcontract their work to high end body shops who specialize in this do the work bc their in house staff doesnt have the proper equipment or training to handle the job.

both the mercedes and bmw dealers by my home sub out ALL of their work.

the paint job will only be as good as the guy holding the spray gun.

you NEED to ask your dealer these important questions otherwise i will guarantee your car will look like [email protected] and you will have to have it repainted a 3rd time. im trying to help you get this right the 2nd time. ask the questions and forget about what cars they sell, its irrelevant..

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
at the very least, you need to get them to extend the warranty on the paint. and get it in writing. the last thing you want is 2 yrs from now to have the paint falling off and have the dealer tell you its not their fault.

get the svc mgr and sales mgr to put this in writing for you..

maserati should be ashamed of themself for this one.. total quality control failure..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, the body shop is not contracted out. It is onsite. The dealership has their own body shop. In Southern California it is common for dealerships to have onsite body shops and no outsource their work.

You are correct, Maserati should not have let the car get by in terms of quality control. That said, the car is on a three year lease and I doubt I will have paint issues during that time period--if I do, the car will be repainted again either at the dealer's or Maserati's expense. I have driven BMW's Mercedes, Jags & Porsche--all of which have had body work in one form or another and I have never had a problem if the paint was done correctly to begin with. I will know next week about the quality at that time.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
Did you notice the paint wasn't right when you picked up the car or was it something that surfaced afterwards?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked the car up at night so I did not see it. I noticed the problem a couple days later after it was washed (noticeable only in certain light). I called the dealer and told them. I waited until the Sirius antenna part came in before I took the car in. The Updated Sirius antenna was released to dealers on Monday so I took the car in on Tuesday--approximately two months post delivery.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
First, the body shop is not contracted out. It is onsite. The dealership has their own body shop. In Southern California it is common for dealerships to have onsite body shops and no outsource their work.

You are correct, Maserati should not have let the car get by in terms of quality control. That said, the car is on a three year lease and I doubt I will have paint issues during that time period--if I do, the car will be repainted again either at the dealer's or Maserati's expense. I have driven BMW's Mercedes, Jags & Porsche--all of which have had body work in one form or another and I have never had a problem if the paint was done correctly to begin with. I will know next week about the quality at that time.
if its a lease then yeah i wouldnt really care about what happens after you dispose of the car. but again make sure you have this stuff in writing bc you dont want them to nail you when you return the car after 3 years saying that you repainted the fender and have them charge you for excessive wear and tear.

high end dealers have paint meters. they go around the entire vehicle and measure the thickness of the paint, so when you return the lease or trade the vehicle in. this is how they can tell if the car was ever repainted or not.

sloppy body shops / dealers just repaint the vehicle and dont worry about painting the car to exact spec. a quality body shop however will repaint the vehicle to the exact same specs as the manufacturer did. so if the paint on the car is 5mm, they will repaint your panel with 5mm of paint, etc. this is how guys get caught all the time thinking they can hide repair work, but once the dealers put the paint meter on the car you cant hide the repair work and now your trade in is worth less.

this may not apply to you, but that is what happens behind the scenes. just so other people are aware for future reference.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I picked the car up at night so I did not see it. I noticed the problem a couple days later after it was washed (noticeable only in certain light). I called the dealer and told them. I waited until the Sirius antenna part came in before I took the car in. The Updated Sirius antenna was released to dealers on Monday so I took the car in on Tuesday--approximately two months post delivery.
is the sirius antenna the permenant one? or just the unpainted / temp one? i need to get this fixed as well.. but i dont want to take it in until the perm / painted one is available.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MRPA1999
I will get the paperwork reflecting the paint job was done as an authorized repair by Maserati so if the leasing companies have any issues I have my recourse.

As to the antenna, yes, this is the official "fix". I have been in touch with Maserati for about a month with respect to the antenna issue. Maserati was doing "beta" testing on the replacement antenna before they would release it to the dealers so yes, this is the official fix. I will get my car back probably Tuesday or Wednesday of next week so I will be able to report on the fix at that time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you know if the Sat antenna issue remains an issue with new cars being built now? My delivery is expected in June with an assumed build date in April-May 2014. Will these cars have the old antenna which needs to be replaced? I am only asking so I can put my punch-list of known and user identified issues together so when I pick up the car, initial euphoria will not cloud my mind and make me forget about them.
Steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
if its a lease then yeah i wouldnt really care about what happens after you dispose of the car. but again make sure you have this stuff in writing bc you dont want them to nail you when you return the car after 3 years saying that you repainted the fender and have them charge you for excessive wear and tear.

high end dealers have paint meters. they go around the entire vehicle and measure the thickness of the paint, so when you return the lease or trade the vehicle in. this is how they can tell if the car was ever repainted or not.

sloppy body shops / dealers just repaint the vehicle and dont worry about painting the car to exact spec. a quality body shop however will repaint the vehicle to the exact same specs as the manufacturer did. so if the paint on the car is 5mm, they will repaint your panel with 5mm of paint, etc. this is how guys get caught all the time thinking they can hide repair work, but once the dealers put the paint meter on the car you cant hide the repair work and now your trade in is worth less.

this may not apply to you, but that is what happens behind the scenes. just so other people are aware for future reference.
mrpa1999 - I am really glad you are on this forum. You bring a great deal of insight as well as practical knowledge. (Maybe I'll even pick up a few pointers along the way.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked up my car this morning. Sirius is definitely better, sub-woofer issue resolved, software update for windows, rattle fixed and the paint is perfect. With respect to texting as previously mentioned it is not available in the US. If you do have an iPhone and are running software version 7.1 you can hold the home button down and use Siri to send texts and read e-mails via bluetooth. Not perfect but that is what Maserati is offering for the time being.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Picked up my car this morning. Sirius is definitely better, sub-woofer issue resolved, software update for windows, rattle fixed and the paint is perfect. With respect to texting as previously mentioned it is not available in the US. If you do have an iPhone and are running software version 7.1 you can hold the home button down and use Siri to send texts and read e-mails via bluetooth. Not perfect but that is what Maserati is offering for the time being.
Do you know if there was an actual software update for the windows? I just got my car back yesterday from the shop where they fixed the satellite and the windows. They said they "flashed" the windows but it was not software update. I am still having the window issue so whatever they did was not a fix! On a positive note, the satellite radio now works flawlessly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealership did not give me any paperwork but the service writer said it was a software update and then the windows had to be "re-learned."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts